Split ergonomic keyboard project

stevedreams

28 Aug 2012, 12:07

I would like to be counted in to buy a complete kit (minus caps and switches)

Many thanks.

planet36

29 Aug 2012, 04:34

dox wrote:Thanks guys! Yes, the thumb keys are a bit too far. I will place them closer for the case prototype.
TopRight.PNG
Is there an image of the left side?

richie

29 Aug 2012, 22:32

Since round 4 is still happening :/
What are the sizes of all the keys anyone know?
Will there be a keycap group buy specifically for the ErgoDox?

JesuswasaZombie

30 Aug 2012, 08:42

I'm thinking maybe WASDkeyboards might be able to help us out with the specific keys we need, maybe SP? I sure would like PBT but not into paying more than 50 bucks for keycaps

dirge

30 Aug 2012, 09:32

Was hoping Sleabo and qwerkeys could do my caps, the front side engraving to mark the layers would be perfect for this.

fossala
Elite +1

30 Aug 2012, 09:40

I would like blank pbt. I think with anything that is customisable blank is better so you can change it without worrying that the legends are going to be wrong.

damorgue

30 Aug 2012, 10:09

Well, only a few extra keycaps needs to be added to all existing sets of key caps out there. I'd be interested in buying those, for instance the ones larger than 1u.

damorgue

30 Aug 2012, 16:22

So to complement an average set, we would need 8pcs horizontal 1.5u, 4pcs vertical 1.5u and 4pcs vertical 2u, right? Those caps would need to be labeled tab, space, enter etc. Since caps of those sizes with those legends aren't very common, blanks from R4 might be a good idea.

The other few non-standard keys seems easier to find or to find blanks or similar legends which fit.

JesuswasaZombie

30 Aug 2012, 19:30

I mean, this is true but how awesome would it be to have complete sets made for this?

damorgue

31 Aug 2012, 06:53

WASDkeybaords could make a few with whatever legends we want in some odd sizes.

dirge

31 Aug 2012, 09:53

It's a good option and would be quite a reasonable price. I'll be going the sleebo/qwerkeys route, hope he gets enough interest to cover the larger than 1x1 cap sizes. Some B series in there would look great too.

Can't wait for this and my phantom isn't even here yet!

OrangeJewce

31 Aug 2012, 15:37

I'm getting two of the Sanctuary Keysets for my ergos, and will try to get the fillers from WASD. Hopefully they'll have a grey that matches but we'll see.

While a GB for keysets may happen, I am not sure how many people would participate since many already have plans for caps.

Cheers,

JesuswasaZombie

31 Aug 2012, 20:17

OrangeJewce wrote:I'm getting two of the Sanctuary Keysets for my ergos, and will try to get the fillers from WASD. Hopefully they'll have a grey that matches but we'll see.

While a GB for keysets may happen, I am not sure how many people would participate since many already have plans for caps.

Cheers,
Man that will look pretty cool. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

off

01 Sep 2012, 16:18

Damn it's really starting to look great (and near completion)!

For anyone jumping in, the wickedawesome case prototype pics are here and here.

Personally I think the white case looks better than when painted black.
If I somehow come across a wad of money/steady income in the near future, I'll be registering my interest... here's to hoping!
Good luck, and congrats on the progress.

(ps, why the namechange PV?)

maxrunner

02 Sep 2012, 16:51

Fantastic, what are the fully options that will be available???like the case type/color and switches?

regards,

mintberryminuscrunch

02 Sep 2012, 17:12

maxrunner wrote:Fantastic, what are the fully options that will be available???like the case type/color and switches?

regards,
no switches!

maxrunner

03 Sep 2012, 15:49

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:
maxrunner wrote:Fantastic, what are the fully options that will be available???like the case type/color and switches?

regards,
no switches!
What do you mean???

Icarium

03 Sep 2012, 16:04

We so need an FAQ. You will have to get your switches elsewhere. This is just a groupbuy for PCB, electronic components (excluding switches) and possibly case. So especially: No switches, no keycaps.

Edit: And no assembly. (But some people have offered soldering services.)

maxrunner

03 Sep 2012, 16:13

Icarium wrote:We so need an FAQ. You will have to get your switches elsewhere. This is just a groupbuy for PCB, electronic components (excluding switches) and possibly case. So especially: No switches, no keycaps.

Oh! :( i assume the case would be included otherwise where woud you get it?

regards,

regack

03 Sep 2012, 20:00

maxrunner wrote:
Icarium wrote:We so need an FAQ. You will have to get your switches elsewhere. This is just a groupbuy for PCB, electronic components (excluding switches) and possibly case. So especially: No switches, no keycaps.

Oh! :( i assume the case would be included otherwise where woud you get it?

regards,
I'm pretty sure that the case designs are still being worked/finalized/decided on, but for now, the prototype case (pictured early in the thread) is available if you want to download the files and have it printed off at Shapeways (but it's not inexpensive).

files: http://ergodox.org/Downloads.aspx
3d print option: http://www.shapeways.com/

7bit has some pretty good prices on switches going on in the marketplace : http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t2760.html

*edit for URL weirdness

damorgue

04 Sep 2012, 18:42

The options that have been presented for the case are:
-Metal plates cut and stacked in layers
-Acrylic sheets cut and stacked in layers
-Milled from a block of aluminum
-3D-printed metal
-3D-printed plastic

If there is a greater demand for the tilting case then the layered ones will become a lot harder to make.

maxrunner

05 Sep 2012, 15:37

interesting, the case in metal would look great. Did dox shared any pic with a metal mold ?

maxrunner

05 Sep 2012, 15:42

Anyway i'm interested in this, i'm still unsure about which switch, i like browns but i've yet to try these customs people here talk about.

bill

05 Sep 2012, 15:51

I have been reading the thread for the past few days and would like to first congratulate Dox on a great concept and thank Dox, bpiphany and any others that have helped to turn this concept into a reality that many will enjoy for years!!!

Please count me in for a set of the pcb's and if it is required to participate in the case purchase then I will of course need the cases as well.

I think this is the last mention of the cost...

page 8
dox▼
08 Aug 2012, 04:29

"The PCBs will probably be under 50$ for the pair. The case situation is still pending. I'm currently using a shapeways case that cost ~275$ (because it's angled) and a flat shapeways case cost ~200$. dorkvader is working on a aluminium plate laminate case."

Order Request (is this the right place for this?)
1. PCB (set of r/l) $50 * 1
2. Cases (set of r/l) $200 * 1 (Only if required)

I must decide and purchase
3. Key switches (no experience with MK but MX Clears seem to be a good starting place)
4. Key caps (ergonomic and most likely white and blank)
5. Cables (not sure what kind of r/l union cable that is and a USB cable)
6. Solder and put it all together
7. Install the drivers and any other appropriate software on my Win7 box
8. Install preferred keyboard layout with layers!!!??? (am I crazy to think foot pedals would be good for layers, function and shift?)
9. Maybe mount the keyboards in a ergonomic position with a custom mount
10. Enjoy typing on the best keyboard ever made for up to 50 million strikes
11. repeat....

Since I am new to this kind of project I realize there is likely a lot I am missing in my summary above.
I don't know when or where to send the money? (never participated in a GB - Group Buy)

I would also like to send a few bucks to the creators and manifestors of this project. (not a lot since I am an unemployed career changer from construction PM to Software Dev) This effort deserves much more than I can give now but that does not detract from the desire to properly thank you all.

ps.. If I am not required to purchase the cases then I intend on having a friend that has an under used large CNC machine figure something out.... He is reviewing the drawings now to determine the options and costs. If all else fails I may even use bamboo

maxrunner

05 Sep 2012, 16:13

layout is fully customizable.

TheProfosist

05 Sep 2012, 17:49

I am somewhat interested in this and i hope its coming along.

ic07

05 Sep 2012, 18:38

I'll have to let others reply to the rest, but just quick:
bill wrote:...
5. Cables (not sure what kind of r/l union cable that is and a USB cable)
The cable between the halves is a 3.5mm TRRS (4-conductor audio cable). They're available here (for reference), and I'm sure many other places.
7. Install the drivers and any other appropriate software on my Win7 box
No drivers :) . OrangeJewce is making a UI for modifying the layers more easily, but the keyboard itself will work with the OS's default USB keyboard drivers. Depending on how distribution occurs, you may have to download -> install -> use the Teensy loader application from PJRC to load the firmware initially... but I'm sure we'll write a nice howto about that if it's necessary (and it's really simple).
8. Install preferred keyboard layout with layers!!!??? (am I crazy to think foot pedals would be good for layers, function and shift?)
The firmware will come with a default layout, but if you like another one better it should be easy to change. And foot pedals would be cool :) but you'd have to make the modifications yourself as far as I know. It wouldn't be hard in and of itself, depending on how you do it, but if you've never messed with microprocessor programming it could take a bit to figure out how to modify the firmware (which is the position I was in ~6 months ago). So I guess it depends how much time you want to put into it. It'd be fun though :)
I would also like to send a few bucks to the creators and manifestors of this project. (not a lot since I am an unemployed career changer from construction PM to Software Dev) This effort deserves much more than I can give now but that does not detract from the desire to properly thank you all.
I imagine you'd want to send anything like that to Dox or bpiphany via paypal (which I think is how we'll handle payments for the group buy too - someone please correct me if I'm wrong), since they have the most invested in prototype. But I'll let them or someone else say more about that - I just wanted to say: that's really nice of you :)

Welcome to DeskThority by the way :)

bill

05 Sep 2012, 21:35

Thank you ic07 for your clear responses and the welcome!!!

justcallmecrash

05 Sep 2012, 22:21

So, is there any way we can get together (say in the OP) a list of all the required parts for this? It would be great to get links to Mouser or some similar site as well.
For instance, the diodes: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP ... 4T5ENNo%3d
The cable to connect the two halves: http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.p ... list&c=156
We still need a good link to the right kind and type of cap, the best source for a teensy controller, the actual connectors for the cable listed above, the USB connector for the output, etc.

bpiphany

05 Sep 2012, 22:39

This should be a complete parts list I think..
  • 76-80 Cherry MX Switches: PCB mount preferably.
  • 76-80 Diodes: 1N4148 (or similar) SOD-123 package (SMD), or DO-35 (through hole 0.3" pitch).
  • 3 LEDs: T1 package (through hole)
  • 3 Resistors: Matching resistance to LEDs, (through hole 0.4" pitch).
  • 1 IO-Expander: MCP23018 DIL-28
  • optional 1 Capacitor 0.1µF, (through hole 0.2" pitch).
  • 2 Resistors: 2.2kΩ (through hole 0.4" pitch)
  • 1 USB Connector: Molex 54819-0519 (through hole).
  • 2 Audio Jack 3.5mm 4-pin: CUI Inc SJ-43514 (through hole).
  • 1 Cable 4-pin 3.5mm jacks.
  • 1 Teensy

Return to “Workshop”