Getting a new keyboard, need your help.

rbo289

10 Nov 2012, 06:35

Hello!

I want to update my das keyboard to a small keyboard really badly, the size of the poker/pure/hhkp seems perfect, but there's a few problems.
I really prefer the blue switches infront of the capacitive ones in the hhkp, by far i might add so that one is a no-go.

Pure/poker on the other hand seems perfect, in terms of size.
...But i cant find available ones with blue switches.
...And I cant find one with the big enter-key/nordic letters, now would this present a problem or would i just have to replace to possibly blank keycaps?
...But if that would work out ok anyway, the casing/switches being mounted directly to the pcb seems like a problem to me (flexing + feel?) and i saw this gorgeous aluminum casing (with a plate included?) that someone made, are those ones still available?)

I guess I could opt for a regular tenkeyless board, but i really want to check into this alternative first, but being new to this whole keyboard fetish(? :D ) I'm not quite sure how to do it all on my own.

TL;DR: want a pure/poker (other layout???) with blues and an aluminum casing. Or is there another alternative with this kind of layout?
Last edited by rbo289 on 11 Nov 2012, 13:41, edited 2 times in total.

Vierax

10 Nov 2012, 07:32

at first you can say

Code: Select all

Hello World !

mintberryminuscrunch

10 Nov 2012, 09:37

what about the noppoo choc mini?

dirge

10 Nov 2012, 10:02

dive in the deep end and join in on custom builds.

if you're after iso layout it will be your option, gh60 or 7bit's awesome project.

rbo289

10 Nov 2012, 11:37

Vierax wrote:at first you can say

Hello World !
Am I being stupid for not getting what u mean?
mintberryminuscrunch wrote:what about the noppoo choc mini?
Thx ill look into that if the others returns scratch. Those customs seems tempting tho, even tho I've really got no clue what im looking at :)
dirge wrote:dive in the deep end and join in on custom builds.

if you're after iso layout it will be your option, gh60 or 7bit's awesome project.
Sounds really good, but none of those are ready to be bought? Or am i reading on the wrong pages?

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t4185.html (only interrest check?)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34959.0 (Prototype and testing <-- We are here)

Heard of any ETAs? 8-)

tlt

10 Nov 2012, 14:00

You need to be patient if your going for a custom build. I think it's going to take some time before you have everything that's needed and then It's time to assemble it (the most fun part!).

rbo289

11 Nov 2012, 03:55

tlt wrote:You need to be patient if your going for a custom build. I think it's going to take some time before you have everything that's needed and then It's time to assemble it (the most fun part!).
Patient as in the custombuild project are not done? or they'll take take their time sending the parts?
For me, personally, I dont really care if it takes half a year or a week, I'm just not familiar with the process at all, feel's like im abit over my knees right now and is just learning how to swim <3

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Nov 2012, 09:04

rbo289 wrote:
Vierax wrote:at first you can say

Hello World !
Am I being stupid for not getting what u mean? […]
Yes.
Or, to put it another, more polite way:
Quite obviously Vierax means the fact that your first words on this forum are "I want" instead of "Hello" or the like.

tlt

11 Nov 2012, 09:47

rbo289 wrote:
tlt wrote:You need to be patient if your going for a custom build. I think it's going to take some time before you have everything that's needed and then It's time to assemble it (the most fun part!).
Patient as in the custombuild project are not done?
No, they are not done.
rbo289 wrote: or they'll take take their time sending the parts?
Sourcing parts and sending out takes time too.
rbo289 wrote: For me, personally, I dont really care if it takes half a year or a week, I'm just not familiar with the process at all, feel's like im abit over my knees right now and is just learning how to swim <3
You can start by reading throw this thread http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t4185.html to see whats going on and maybe there is something you can help out with.

Vierax

11 Nov 2012, 10:14

Thank you kbdfr to translate it in common language : I was just too lazy to do it :)

Manners become rare on the Web, I noticed that on IRC (10 years ago you could be kicked from a channel for not to say simple words as "Hi" or "please" or "thanks"), then now on sevral forums : It seems viral as people consider to talk to a frell Hotline. Moreover, a lot of question could be solved by themselves with a quick search on engine as google, wiki's are not made to be decorative. :(

I wonder if it's a problem of miss-learned generation or the effect of the Web's growing population of users… maybe something in-between.

rbo289

11 Nov 2012, 14:16

Thank you so much tlt, dirge, and mintberryminuscrunch for being genuinly helpful.

Thanks kbdfr for clearing that up to me, I just couldn't imagine it being a big deal for someone.

Vierax: Got nothing for you, I'm sorry. Also I'm glad I haven't seen those parts of IRC for the past 14 years.
Please tell me the forum is not providing sufficient information for me to find your first forum post if this is what it returns: http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... tml#p77849

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Nov 2012, 16:10

Vierax wrote:(10 years ago you could be kicked from a channel for not to say simple words as "Hi" or "please" or "thanks")
Some time spent on Qo’noS should disavow you of this nonsense.

I'm more concerned that people won't contribute to the wiki even after direct requests in response to something posted to a forum that should go in the wiki. It's frustrating to have a community where people only come to ask questions or brag, but never answer questions or contribute.

Ideally there would be a big searchable database of every keyboard available (specs, brief notes on value (maybe just a star rating from votes), and where to find it), but I cannot imagine a level of co-operation ever existing sufficient to keep it up-to-date and reliable. The product data on wiki just rots away; no-one had even updated the MX red page to indicate that it was not just back in production, but popular.

It actually isn't easy to figure out what's (still!) sold and where, and additionally whether it's worth buying.

Vierax

12 Nov 2012, 03:24

rbo289 wrote:Vierax: Got nothing for you, I'm sorry. Also I'm glad I haven't seen those parts of IRC for the past 14 years.
Please tell me the forum is not providing sufficient information for me to find your first forum post if this is what it returns: http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... tml#p77849
LULZ I was expecting something like that from a guy like you. The difference is I wasn't asking some help. If you're so smart you saw my second post too http://deskthority.net/en-francais-f21/ ... tml#p77855 which starts by « Bonjour » (Hello in french) so I'm surely not the most polite guy here but I try, you don't. :roll:
At least, you had the choice to react like this http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/sma ... tml#p82588 but it seems to be to much to ask to your self esteem.

I'm done with you. You're now the first I added in my ignore list, rude boy.

abhibeckert

12 Nov 2012, 05:03

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Ideally there would be a big searchable database of every keyboard available (specs, brief notes on value (maybe just a star rating from votes), and where to find it), but I cannot imagine a level of co-operation ever existing sufficient to keep it up-to-date and reliable. The product data on wiki just rots away; no-one had even updated the MX red page to indicate that it was not just back in production, but popular.
Check out stackexchange.com... they have a database of almost 5 million questions mostly all added in the last year or or so, spread across various topics (but nearly all are in one topic — programming).

They've figured out how to get people to keep answers from going stale (basically if anyone sees an answer that is wrong, they can suggest a fix or provide an alternative answer, which will be accepted by the community if it's good).

It's really fascinating to see how it works. But I think a stack exchange site for mechanical keyboards would fail, apparently you need to reach a "critical mass" of daily questions to succeed.

abhibeckert

12 Nov 2012, 05:03

Vierax wrote:Manners become rare on the Web, I noticed that on IRC (10 years ago you could be kicked from a channel for not to say simple words as "Hi" or "please" or "thanks"), then now on sevral forums : It seems viral as people consider to talk to a frell Hotline. Moreover, a lot of question could be solved by themselves with a quick search on engine as google, wiki's are not made to be decorative. :(

I wonder if it's a problem of miss-learned generation or the effect of the Web's growing population of users… maybe something in-between.
As someone young enough I wouldn't know what IRC is if I wasn't such an ubergeek, I would say it's gone further than that.

A lot of people love twitter because they read thousands of messages every day and don't have time to read all the polite "fluff" in every single one.

Basically, by not skipping "hi there"/"please"/"thanks" you are reducing the time other people have to dedicate to reading your message.

Abrupt is the new polite.

rbo289

12 Nov 2012, 07:23

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: It actually isn't easy to figure out what's (still!) sold and where, and additionally whether it's worth buying.
I agree, which is why i came here:)
Vierax wrote: Manners become rare on the Web
Yeah, I just noticed that.
Vierax wrote: LULZ I was expecting something like that from a guy like you.
Guy like me? Sorry if I ever offended you, this was not my intent.
Vierax wrote: The difference is I wasn't asking some help.
I'm terribly sorry if asking for help in an area of expertise I currently have a VERY limited amount of knowledge in.
Cause of my inferior knowledge, I decided to turn here cause to be frank, I'm sure all of you know more than me.
And unlike you, some people provided me with useful information which I had no clue even existed, and hence I could enhance my knowledge quite substantially and thinking about another route achieving the keyboard of my dreams(lol).
Vierax wrote: If you're so smart you saw my second post too http://deskthority.net/en-francais-f21/ ... tml#p77855 which starts by « Bonjour » (Hello in french) so I'm surely not the most polite guy here but I try, you don't. :roll:
At least, you had the choice to react like this http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/sma ... tml#p82588 but it seems to be to much to ask to your self esteem.

I'm done with you. You're now the first I added in my ignore list, rude boy.
Jeez mate, I never claimed to be smart, and neither do I know a single word in french, so I just didn't bother reading/translating that comment, but I'll be the first one to admit it was a cheapshot.

Not quite sure what you're getting at, as the post was edited, so don't give me shit for not trying.

Also, I don't know whether you will be able to see this at all or if you just wont get "notified" or whatever one chose to call it. But in this case I'll be the change I want to see in the world, by not ignoring you.
abhibeckert wrote: Abrupt is the new polite.
I prefer to keep it on a more informative level, yes.
But that isn't new at all, I've always prefered it that way.
I also take ones intents/actions before the words spoken/written, especially on an international forum where the amount of native speakers are being quite limited. Language-barriers can be a bitch!

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Nov 2012, 22:59

abhibeckert wrote:Check out stackexchange.com … They've figured out how to get people to keep answers from going stale …
I asked a specific question once, and got no response at all (how can you override the keyboard layout when connecting to an RDP host when you're using a third-party keyboard layout that the remote system doesn't recognise). I finally found the answer (use Royal TS: solves a lot of RDP problems, including remote keyboard layout override, and the developer is a cool guy), and went back to post an answer, and they'd blown away my question to protect their image of having only answered questions (spent ages trying to figure out where I posted it). How dare anyone see an old question with no answers! Filthy stinking gits.

Generally anything I post there (or anywhere), no-one can answer. I'm not even that smart, but question sites don't fare any better than what I can work out myself. It's pretty disappointing.

At least Stack Exchange isn't quite as bad as forums when it comes to people so eager to look clever/rack up a score that they just post whatever drivel first comes to mind. Your choices as the OP, are to ignore them (then people think you're rude or disinterested), or waste all day rebutting pages of useless suggestions. Lose/lose.

Klingons got social courtesy right. The Borg got knowledge right – just plug my head straight into the collective mind. (Except one glimpse into my head and the collective would catch fire.)
abhibeckert wrote:Abrupt is the new polite.
I struggle with this. I'm torn between the social expectance of politeness, and the fact that it's part of the pointless complexity that society forces upon you and bordering on intolerable nonsense.

Don't forget that the flip side is all the people who get angry about IRC users asking "Can I ask a question?" You lose either way. It's not on my list of crusades.

Acanthophis

12 Nov 2012, 23:51

That escalated quickly...

OP, if you want a Pure (only ANSI) with Blues and alu case this could interest you (if you didn't find it already): http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t4264.html
It's just a interest check, though.

If you really want a board in ISO and you can wait, I recommend you both projects mentioned earlier.

Sugoi

13 Nov 2012, 00:17

Have you considered the KBT Race keyboard yet?
Should be easier to get with Blues.

CeeSA

13 Nov 2012, 08:33

KeyCool 84 also available with Blues.

Please add your country to your profile, so we could give targeted assistance where to buy etc.

rbo289

13 Nov 2012, 09:04

DeathAdder wrote:That escalated quickly...

OP, if you want a Pure (only ANSI) with Blues and alu case this could interest you (if you didn't find it already): http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t4264.html
It's just a interest check, though.

If you really want a board in ISO and you can wait, I recommend you both projects mentioned earlier.
Oh that looks cool! Although I'm leaning towards waiting for the custom projects right now (or even maybe order a regular tenkeyless from filco or the likes while im waiting for the projects to finish). Using a non-ISO layout feels rather counterproductive as i would have to switch between boards at work/home/friends/etc (no so much that i would completely exclude it from the equation though).
Sugoi wrote:Have you considered the KBT Race keyboard yet?
Should be easier to get with Blues.
Ill have a look, thanks
CeeSA wrote:KeyCool 84 also available with Blues.

Please add your country to your profile, so we could give targeted assistance where to buy etc.
Alright, I think i did that just now!:) Ill have a look!

CeeSA

13 Nov 2012, 09:28

qtan5370 @ ebay:
http://www.ebay.de/sch/qtan5370/m.html? ... =1&_sop=10

and his online store:
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-G ... quipments/

I highly recommend qtan5370. I bought several Noppoo Choc Mini from him.
If you go for a Choc Mini, take the white edt. with the PBT keycaps. Very nice to type on. If you like backlit,
go for a Keycool 84. The housing of the Keycool is glued, but if you don't mind modding that is no problem.

Return to “Keyboards”