Finally got my hands on HHKB Pro 2

hq1ify

19 Nov 2012, 20:29

I'm very excited about this. Got the keyboard from ibuyjp @ ebay. Amazing service, took 4 days to ship (!).
Luckily ;) - no custom fees.

I've been typing on it for 30 minutes so far. First impressions:

The switches feel just right. No "wow" factor, just exactly what I expected them to be. I fell in love with my Poker MX Brown and was very anxious about Topre, mostly because I've seen people comparing it to Reds and Reds are very much not my kind of thing. The tactile bump is not as noticeable as with Browns, but it's still there and feels good. The sound gives me that warm fuzzy feeling, much quieter than the Browns. I'm not sure if the switches are worth the price, but...

... the layout is just perfect. It is very hard to bottom out on on that keyboard; ctrl is where it should be, the backspace key is easy to reach with my right pinky (and not that hard to adjust), so I'm occupying the home row most of the time (wow, finally!). A quick vim session made me appreciate the editor even more. The cursor keys combo is very easy to use and I had absolutely no hard time adjusting, even though I barely use cursor keys (thanks to the Poker I got very used to emacs keybindings for shell/OS cursor movement, so C-P, C-N, C-F, C-B etc.).

So far I think it's the perfect keyboard for me and I'm done with trying things out (at least for some time).
I'm pretty sure I have found my daily driver and I would recommend this board to every vim user out there without a doubt.

Last edited by hq1ify on 20 Nov 2012, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

fossala
Elite +1

19 Nov 2012, 20:45

It is a fantastic board, glad to see more people enjoying it.

JBert

19 Nov 2012, 21:13

Maybe we should ask an admin to move this to the Reviews forum... That way it can be easier to find it.

hq1ify

19 Nov 2012, 22:18

Good catch JBert, damn this board feels nice

telepete

20 Nov 2012, 02:51

I'm not really into Topre but the layout is similar to a UNIX layout and is therefore unreal. Congrats.

hq1ify

20 Nov 2012, 08:00

some pics added

Jim66

21 Nov 2012, 09:55

It is a great keyboard, when I had one I don't think I gave it enough of a chance. Damn variable topre ticked my pinkies into thinking it was too stiff.

noons

01 Mar 2013, 22:48

Jim66 wrote:It is a great keyboard, when I had one I don't think I gave it enough of a chance. Damn variable topre ticked my pinkies into thinking it was too stiff.
Hmm I thought the variable RF boards only went down to 45g?

LaCap

05 Mar 2013, 17:14

Good choice.
For me it's the perfect board. I'm using it now for 3 years and I cannot work without it.
Addictive keyboard :)

Return to “Reviews”