DOTA 2

trax

25 Nov 2012, 12:13

Does any of you play DOTA 2?
I'm playing it but I'm pretty bad still :(

I aslo got 2 invites if anyone wants to try it out.

vun

25 Nov 2012, 14:05

I only play every now and again with friends, I'm terrible at it so far, but it doesn't matter because I'm not really planning on playing it a lot.

If anyone wants in, I have 5 invites to give away and a friend of mine has 3 he wants to get rid of.

FJ_Sanchez

25 Nov 2012, 15:20

I also play from time to time, but the amount of effort needed to enjoy this game make me to continue playing LoL...

trax

25 Nov 2012, 17:58

FJ_Sanchez wrote:I also play from time to time, but the amount of effort needed to enjoy this game make me to continue playing LoL...
Yes this seems to be a big reason to hop from LoL to Dota2 because theres so much more, which from a different perspective is also a good thing.

vun

25 Nov 2012, 18:06

trax wrote:
FJ_Sanchez wrote:I also play from time to time, but the amount of effort needed to enjoy this game make me to continue playing LoL...
Yes this seems to be a big reason to hop from LoL to Dota2 because theres so much more, which from a different perspective is also a good thing.
The complexity and high skill ceiling in Dota 2 is attractive to those who want to invest time in the game and get good at it, but is a pretty big turn-off for anyone who just wants to pick it up and play every now and then like you can do with LoL.

Ascaii
The Beard

25 Nov 2012, 19:39

Im too much of a casual gamer for dota2...but I play a good amount of LoL...if anyone wants to hook up for some games on west or east, pm me.

damorgue

25 Nov 2012, 19:49

I had time back when the DOTA map for wc3 started. Nowdays, I probably won't have time to learn about all the characters, abilities and items, which is sort of necessary to be decent.

Calade

28 Nov 2012, 00:18

I started playing DotA something like 6 years ago. Eventually moved to HoN, and now I play DotA2 but not that actively. Usually with at least one friend. It's a damn good game with a damn horrible community, so the ideal situation is having a full team of 5 people who you know won't cry/whine/flame/feed/grief/quit/solo/throw/русский/etc.

vun

28 Nov 2012, 00:42

Calade wrote:I started playing DotA something like 6 years ago. Eventually moved to HoN, and now I play DotA2 but not that actively. Usually with at least one friend. It's a damn good game with a damn horrible community, so the ideal situation is having a full team of 5 people who you know won't cry/whine/flame/feed/grief/quit/solo/throw/русский/etc.
Same goes for LoL, the communities around MOBA games are toxic at best. When I played LoL I never played solo apart from bot games or Dominion, for regular games I would play with at least 2 other people most of the time.

Pby

28 Nov 2012, 11:18

vun wrote:
trax wrote:
The complexity and high skill ceiling in Dota 2 is attractive to those who want to invest time in the game and get good at it, but is a pretty big turn-off for anyone who just wants to pick it up and play every now and then like you can do with LoL.
one thing I dislike about lol is an unfair advantage for people who pay/play more. It feels like you're forced to grind just to be competitive. Although I'm probably biased as I'm a long time dota player(8 years now but I'm still garbage haha).

Playing with a friend is a must these days, the odds of getting someone who doesn't speak English is quite high. I don't mind playing with new players myself but if you can't communicate with them how are they supposed to learn.

mm87

28 Nov 2012, 11:40

Wouldn't mind invites for me and a friend if anyone's kind enough. Played WC3 DOTA quite a bit back in the day and would love to try out the new one :]

ne0phyte
Toast.

28 Nov 2012, 12:13

I'm playing Awesomenauts which is basically a 2D comic look DotA and its much more fun for casual MOBA players if you ask me.
That might sound a little bit weird at first, but it works and the gameplay is great!

I just don't want to spend countless hours on learning all the heroes, skills and items so this is perfect for me (I'm more of a FPS player) :D
*click* Awesomenauts on Steam

vun

28 Nov 2012, 14:09

Pby wrote: one thing I dislike about lol is an unfair advantage for people who pay/play more. It feels like you're forced to grind just to be competitive. Although I'm probably biased as I'm a long time dota player(8 years now but I'm still garbage haha).

Playing with a friend is a must these days, the odds of getting someone who doesn't speak English is quite high. I don't mind playing with new players myself but if you can't communicate with them how are they supposed to learn.
But that's the thing; LoL is, in my opinion, the only game that actually has a decent F2P model. The champion rotation means that you'll get to try out nearly every champion. By the time you're level 30 and know what you're doing you should have enough to buy a champ that suits you and runes for it. After that, if you're not willing to pay, you'll probably have to play a few games before you can afford a new set of runes or a new champion, but this also gives you a goal to work towards. In Dota 2 there is nothing to work towards except personal performance, which is nice for those who want to play hardcore, but has little appeal for those who want a game they can just sit down, play a game and have some fun with.

Sure, you might have to either play a lot or pay a bit if you want to play at a pro level, where you'll want to have a larger pool to pick from in case your regular champ gets banned, but if that level of play is important to you then you should play the game enough to afford quite a few champs and runepages since the only way to get good at the game is to actually play it. Besides, if you are that interested in going pro you should have no problem spending some cash on it.

damorgue

28 Nov 2012, 17:16

vun wrote: In Dota 2 there is nothing to work towards except personal performance, which is nice for those who want to play hardcore, but has little appeal for those who want a game they can just sit down, play a game and have some fun with.
Perhaps you meant to write that the other way around. I find that to have the opposite effect. Ladders and goals are disadvantageous for people who want to play casual games and just puts pressure on the games, which is what is killing SC2. No goal means that you can just pick up a game whenever and play casually.

vun

28 Nov 2012, 18:53

damorgue wrote:
vun wrote: In Dota 2 there is nothing to work towards except personal performance, which is nice for those who want to play hardcore, but has little appeal for those who want a game they can just sit down, play a game and have some fun with.
Perhaps you meant to write that the other way around. I find that to have the opposite effect. Ladders and goals are disadvantageous for people who want to play casual games and just puts pressure on the games, which is what is killing SC2. No goal means that you can just pick up a game whenever and play casually.
But you still need something to motivate you. In games like LoL, CoD games etc. there's always some goal you can easily achieve, whereas in a game like Dota 2 or Counter-Strike there isn't much to motivate you other than your own desire to be good. I don't think anyone plays Dota or CS and don't care if they get no kills and just die all the time, they're both games where you play to get good due to the high skill ceiling.
In LoL, on the other hand, one day you can sit down and play a few games to get more IP towards runes or a champion you want, which is additional motivation, and it's not a goal that's far away. It's something that keeps you going even if you don't do all that well in games.

Pby

28 Nov 2012, 18:59

vun wrote:But that's the thing; LoL is, in my opinion, the only game that actually has a decent F2P model. The champion rotation means that you'll get to try out nearly every champion. By the time you're level 30 and know what you're doing you should have enough to buy a champ that suits you and runes for it. After that, if you're not willing to pay, you'll probably have to play a few games before you can afford a new set of runes or a new champion, but this also gives you a goal to work towards. In Dota 2 there is nothing to work towards except personal performance, which is nice for those who want to play hardcore, but has little appeal for those who want a game they can just sit down, play a game and have some fun with.

Sure, you might have to either play a lot or pay a bit if you want to play at a pro level, where you'll want to have a larger pool to pick from in case your regular champ gets banned, but if that level of play is important to you then you should play the game enough to afford quite a few champs and runepages since the only way to get good at the game is to actually play it. Besides, if you are that interested in going pro you should have no problem spending some cash on it.
I'm merely saying that I'd enjoy LoL more if they didn't handicap the player just because the said person didn't spend/play as much as their opponent. MOBAs are notoriously difficult to balance and giving perks through runes seem to just make the balance worse. I guess variety is a good thing. It would be sad if all MOBAs were homogeneous or dominated by a single title in the entire genre, kind of like what wow is to mmos.

You're right that dota has less things to work towards. But I like that your win/lose ratio, performance level and matchmaking is not public, I don't think anyone is particularly fond of elitists who talk down on people just because they have a bigger number than you. Vice versa.

I would like to see stuff that you can achieve other than personal performance. For example, a chance to get a funny cosmetic item for your hero if you participated in a first blood, or something like participate in a tower push/defence with more than 3 heroes. Anything that encourages team play is good and should be rewarded accordingly.
Also would be nice to see a cut down mode for beginners, perhaps a smaller hero pool with the simpler mechanics or a rotation system like on LoL.

cable

17 Dec 2012, 03:17

I do, quite a lot. Love it!

If people from here would want to play, I'm usually up for some fun games! :)

ne0phyte
Toast.

17 Dec 2012, 11:14

I've got 4 spare Dota 2 invites if anyone's interested.

Add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/arr_ne0phyte
(will be online in around 7 hours)

reverkiller

18 Dec 2012, 03:04

I play a fair amount - mostly badly :P

PumP

scope2k

22 Dec 2012, 13:19

Just realized I got 5 invites on my account - drop me PM if you need one!

Acanthophis

06 Feb 2013, 23:50

I have plenty invites left, in case someone is interested.

vun

09 Feb 2013, 00:34

I've got about 18 invites now that I can't even throw at people, they might as well just make it open at this point.

Pby

11 Feb 2013, 14:24

I have 40 invites and they just keep coming :?

guilleguillaume

11 Feb 2013, 17:14

I don't know why they kep sending me more Dota 2 invites.

ne0phyte
Toast.

11 Feb 2013, 17:22

I really tried to get rid of mine and I still have 11 invites left.
Why don't they just make it F2P? Everyone and their dog already has DotA 2 :|

Topre Enthusiast

11 Feb 2013, 22:43

Good news everyone, I don't have this game and would like to get an invite please!

ne0phyte
Toast.

11 Feb 2013, 22:54

002 wrote:Good news everyone, I don't have this game and would like to get an invite please!
Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/arr_ne0phyte

phetto
Elite

12 Feb 2013, 10:32

Dota is the best game I have ever played. The amounts of big plays you can do, in comparison to LoL for example is ridiculous. To bad that we Europeans gets 90% our games ruined by russians/Ukrainians just because they don't know a single word English. But the fact that they don't know English isn't the annoying part. It's that they think other people know Russian. So even if I say I don't understand Russian IN Russian, they still type in Russian, to me and my 3 friends.

I'd say that without the Russians the game would be perfect :D

Edit: if you don't play dota it might be hard to understand the tardness of Russian citizens. You guys who play know what I'm talking about.

ne0phyte
Toast.

12 Feb 2013, 10:37

Heh. I know Russians as cheaters in FPS games. That is a bias, but I saw many cheating Russians in different games so its not completely unfounded.

phetto
Elite

12 Feb 2013, 10:44

ne0phyte wrote:Heh. I know Russians as cheaters in FPS games. That is a bias, but I saw many cheating Russians in different games so its not completely unfounded.
Yea, I remember them to be the first to cheat in competitive counterstrike...

Return to “Off-topic”