The Switch Try Bag version 2. CONUS

FunkyMonkey90

15 Aug 2012, 02:26

Defiantly the correct address in the PM I sent you. Unfortunately the mail people do lose things (I'm still fighting for £60 worth they lost of my stuff).

I'll wait until the end of the week just to make sure it hasn't been delayed or anything.

FunkyMonkey90

19 Aug 2012, 03:15

Still nothing, it's a shame cause I really need to know what keyboard to buy :(

imcr

19 Aug 2012, 15:49

Real shame, I was looking forward to this try-bag :(

Trent

24 Aug 2012, 07:09

hey I won't be following this thread in detail but let me know what is going on as I'd be down to try the bag even though I paid for one. The purchased bag didn't contain certain switches.

Let me know via PM when it is my time to receive/send

Trent

tinnie

25 Sep 2012, 14:09

Hi MR. interface,
I want to participate in this event, i live in Hong Kong
cheers

Mrinterface

25 Sep 2012, 18:33

tinlong117 wrote:Hi MR. interface,
cheers
Hi,
I added you to the worldwide list

tinnie

27 Sep 2012, 12:39

Mrinterface wrote:
cheers
Hi,
hi,
when i need to pm my adress? :)

Mrinterface

27 Sep 2012, 12:56

tinlong117 wrote:
Mrinterface wrote:
cheers
Hi,
hi,
when i need to pm my adress? :)
Yes, please PM me your address since you are the first on the WW list.

sad_destroyer

27 Sep 2012, 18:29

Mrinterface, I purchased and received the switch sample bag, go ahead and remove me from the list! Thanks.

naisanza

15 Oct 2012, 15:03

Hi, please sign me up! I'm interested in the cherry clear, brown, and red.

I am US here.

AKIMbO

26 Oct 2012, 04:02

There are no linear yellow alps in the switch tester bag! I'm going to have to add a few to it.

notsmart

26 Oct 2012, 04:10

would like to be added to the cherry mx switch bags. NY, US.

kwago

30 Oct 2012, 16:25

Can someone tell me about the #3 key on the left? Keycap name, switch, etc

AKIMbO

05 Nov 2012, 17:34

I just received the CONUS switch try bag in the mail!

Mrinterface

05 Nov 2012, 18:05

AKIMbO wrote:I just received the CONUS switch try bag in the mail!
Great!

I'll update the OP.

AKIMbO

18 Nov 2012, 17:28

My review is below. I'm adding a linear yellow complicated alps switch to the bag since there aren't any yellow or green alps in the sampler bag. Please keep the linear yellow alps switch moving with the bag. I will put another item in the "suprise" pouch that the next person who receives the bag can keep.

CHERRY MX

Linear:
MX Red: Very light...I've had a few board with this switch in it. I used to have mx reds with Korean 55g springs...but it was too light for me.
MX Black: Way too heavy. I had a Noppoo Choc Mini and a Filco MJ1 with these and sold both boards as the switches were much too tiring for my fingers.
MX Dark Grey: I like this switch. I wish more linear cherry boards used heavier space bar switches. My Zenith ZKB2-AT (linear green alps) uses a heavy grey switch for the space bar and it feels so right. Maybe I'm being a bit nostalgic, since Model F ATs have a heavier space bar, which I am fond of.
MY: I once heard these switches described as akin to typing on wet newspapers. I don't get that feeling from this switch. However, it is very heavy....seems like the force required for the switch gets heavier and heavier the further the switch is pressed.
M7: Nothing special here. Feels like a scratchier version of the cherry black.

Tactile:
MX Brown: Way too light....slightly scratchy feel. My GF's favorite switch though.
MX Clear: The cherry switch I find most analogous to tactile alps. I love this switch and currently am getting my KMAC modded to cherry mx clears with 62g Korean springs.
MX Light Grey: Definitely a nice space bar switch. Tactile bump doesn't seem to be a round as cherry mx clears. It's hard to explain...the tactile bump is over quicker with this switch when compared to the mx clears. Maybe it's because it requires a greater amount of force to overcome the tactile bump.
ML: Meh.
M81: Meh.

Clicky:
MX Green: I have a keyboard coming in the mail with these switches. I'm very excited to receive it as I've heard they are the cherry switch most analogous to buckling springs. They feel a tad heavier than blues, but you can never truly gauge a switch based on one switch...you need to use an entire keyboard that has the switches in them.
MX Blue: I've owned several MX blue keyboards in the day. These switches are nice but much too light for me.
MX Milk: I was very excited to try this switch. Currently, the only readily available board I know of using this switch is the KBT Race. This switch left me very underwhelmed. It's like the bastard child of mx clear and mx blue...but it got all the bad traits from both. Not clicky enough, a little mushy, not tactile enough.

MISC VINTAGE SWITCHES

Clicky:
Acer Clicky White: I like this switch. It's like a cross between complicated white alps and monterey blues. Nice and light (but not overly so), very crisp.
Acer Clicky Black: This switch feels nearly identical to the Acer Clicky White. However, this one feels a tad smoother than the white one...maybe it's due to age, storage, condition, etc. Either way, the Acer Clicky switches are surprisingly nice.
Chicony MX Fake White: This switch feels like a cheapened version of the cherry mx blue. The sounds is more hollow and deadened compared to the cherry mx blue.
Futaba: WTH is this switch. No me gusta. Sound is deadened to the point of being boring. Tacticility is nearly completely deadened too.
KPT Blue Alps: I had a board that used KPT switches which I recently sold. The switch is light, but feels a little cheap.
Model M: I don't even have to mention how this switch feels. If you don't own a buckling spring keyboard yet you are dead to me...you heard me DEAD TO ME!
Monterey Blue: Very nice switch with a good sound. It's a little too light for me though.
Orange Omron: Hello gorgeous! Where have you been all my life. My favorite switch out of the entire sampler bag. I need to find a board that uses orange omrons. These are light and loud. Me gusta!

Tactile:
Topre: Yawn, topres are starting to bore me. A little mushy.
Mitsumi: These feel just like the topres except a little springier.

Linear:
Honeywell Hall Effect: Wow...this switch is heavy. A ton of force required to bottom this switch out. If arthritis suffers die and go to hell...I'm pretty sure their seventh ring would be playing type racer for the rest of time using a keyboard that has nothing but Honeywell Hall Effect switches.

ALPS

Clicky:
White Complicated: I had a Focus that used white clicky complicated alps and I hated it. This switch is no exception to my first impressions with the Focus. It's not very pleasant...a ton of force required up front and then the switch just falls away from you. If I want clicky switches...I will stick with buckling springs for now (and possibly mx greens).
Blue Complicated: Why would you do this Mr. Interface? Destroy a blue alps board for switches T___T. Just joking! I've heard these are the alps to have so I had high expectations for this switch. It feels very similar to the white complicated alps....maybe a tad lighter and smoother. Otherwise, there isn't anything particularly appealing about it. Maybe the differences are more pronounced when using an entire keyboard of blue alps.
Cream Simplified: Whoa...this has one high pitched click. Very sharp tactility. Feels similar to the white complicated but with a shriller sound.
Grey Simplified: The click on this is very faint. The switch is meh. Lighter feeling than the blue or white clicky complicated alps.

Tactile:
Orange Complicated: I like this switch. I used to have a salmon alps board and was curious the difference between salmon and orange. The orange is very springy...I love it. Feels analogous to the salmon alps, except the switch returns faster (i.e. it's springier).
Black Complicated: Like a more bland version of the orange alps. Very faint tactility in this switch.
White Complicated (Dampened): Very nice switch. Some say it feels rubber dome-esque...which I can see. I'm actually typing this review up on an SGI Granite with complicated white (dampened) alps.
Cream Complicated: Feels just like the white complicated (dampened) alps switch to me. Is there a difference here? Isn't this one dampened too?
White Low Profile: This switch feels uber cheap...almost like a toy. IIRC, these are used on the Apple adjustable keyboards.

RIPSTER'S SUPRISE SWITCH:
Linear: Very springy....it's nice, but it's not green alps!

Mrinterface

18 Nov 2012, 18:07

That is a very very thorough review. Thanx for that!

Mrinterface

04 Dec 2012, 09:48

Any update on this? The Tick077 is next......

AKIMbO

04 Dec 2012, 15:29

Mrinterface wrote:Any update on this? The Tick077 is next......
The bag was shipped to the Tick. Tracking says it was delivered on Novemeber 24th. I PM'ed you the tracking link Mrinterface.

Mrinterface

04 Dec 2012, 19:07

AKIMbO wrote: The bag was shipped to the Tick. Tracking says it was delivered on Novemeber 24th. I PM'ed you the tracking link Mrinterface.
Ta... I pinged him for a status update.

naisanza

18 Dec 2012, 06:36

I have just received the STBAG version 2 CONUS!

Mrinterface

18 Dec 2012, 09:21

naisanza wrote:I have just received the STBAG version 2 CONUS!
Great.

I updated the OP

naisanza

19 Dec 2012, 00:24

My review of the V2 Switch Bag

I liked this idea a lot. I am happy to have been a part of it and got to experience a lot of different types of switches that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Thank you for creating this!

Misc Vintage switch collection, top to bottom, left to right:
===============
Clear - Light, soft click, tactile
Clear - Light, very small tactile (less than MX Brown), springy
Clear - High tactile, clicky (clicky sounds deeper than MX Blue)
Black - High tactile, heavy, clicky (clicky sounds deeper than MX Blue)
Orange - Loud clicky, tactile
Blue - Clicky (louder than MX Blue), tactile
Lt Blue - Light, clicky (louder than MX Blue), tactile
Yellow - Light, tactile
Black - Medium linear
Spring - ??
Black - Tactile, topre

Cherry switch collection, same read-out:
===============
Grey - Heavy linear
Black - Medium linear
Red - Light linear
Grey - Heavy tactile
Clear - Medium tactile
Brown - Light tactile
Green - Heavy clicky
Blue - Medium clicky (these are the heavier blues, I believe the one on my Poker are 45cN Blues)
White - Medium quiet clicky, tactile
Grey - Medium linear
Lt Blue - Light linear
Clear - Medium linear
White - Heavy tactile
Black - Medium tactile

I think the last five look like they should have gone in the vintage bag.

Alps switch collection, same read-out:
===============
Lt Yellow - Heavy tactile
Black - Heavy, medium tactile
White - Heavy tactile
Orange - Heavy tactile, louder than Cherry Brown
Grey - Heavy tactile, undampened, a little less audible than Cherry Blues
Clear - Heavy tactile bump, quiet
Lt Yellow - Loud clicky, heavy tactile
Blue - Medium clicky, heavy tactile
Clear - Light clicky (but still louder than Cherry Blue), heavy tactile
Yellow - Heavy linear

Mrinterface

19 Dec 2012, 08:19

Nice pics!

Mrinterface

10 Jan 2013, 08:44

Any update on the status?

naisanza

17 Jan 2013, 16:14

PM sent!

naisanza

17 Jan 2013, 17:06

A friend of mine has been looking into getting a mechanical keyboard, the noppoo choc mini white more specifically. We talked about different types of cherries and I think he was going to get the blacks or reds, but I was able to tell him how each of them feel and he decided to go for the blues for the clicky and better tactile feedback.

The more you know
Attachments
1294_10100225382822963_1632406117_n.jpg
1294_10100225382822963_1632406117_n.jpg (77.32 KiB) Viewed 15823 times

Mrinterface

22 Jan 2013, 12:00

Updated OP with new subscription round!

naisanza

22 Jan 2013, 19:49

prdlm2009- PM me your info for me to send the bag to you!

naisanza

06 Feb 2013, 19:55

The bag has been shipped to prdlm2009 with tracking!

Return to “Try before you buy”