Split ergonomic keyboard project

phetto
Elite

16 Dec 2012, 10:34

If I could get a ergodox that looks exactly like this, I would say that it is the perfect keyboard.

L!athus

17 Dec 2012, 15:19

Been reading up on this build for a gd while now. Decided its time to express my interest. Hopefully, by the time its ready for GB its not gonna cost me my limbs or family jewels to get 1 of these. :lol:

The waiting game continues.... Fingers itching for an ergodox. :)

Findecanor

17 Dec 2012, 15:40

lowkey144 wrote:Regarding the cornstarch/silicon version of sugru, it is not ideal for highly visible applications, but I can vouch for it being a very good alternative for emulating the desirable physical properties of sugru.
Interesting... What kind of silicone do you use? Moulding silicone, caulk or something else entirely?

L!athus

17 Dec 2012, 17:02

I'm assuming the concoction AF refers to for making your own sugru is listed here. Haven't tried it but interesting to know.

AloisiusFauxly

18 Dec 2012, 03:47

Yup, I've used just plain ol' silicone caulking like this.

lowkey144

18 Dec 2012, 07:52

The smell of acetone(nail polish remover) while setting should be your guide, in general you want the most generic silicon you can find no silicone II for example, but I don't know what the branding would be anywhere but the states. Alosiuus linked a version that will definitely work. I usually buy the off-brand basic version at walmart when I need a large amount for a project. I recently used it to repair my bicycle rack pad for my car. but generally wherever sugru would be applicable, so too will the cornstarch variety.

DrSchlock

19 Dec 2012, 21:01

I am interested if there is a group buy for this.

Loafers

23 Dec 2012, 06:59

Why are the keys not aligned? Is it more ergonomic that way?

hoggy

23 Dec 2012, 16:57

You've got it. The staggering is there to allow for the differing lengths of your fingers. Well, maybe not your fingers specifically... It doesn't take long to get used to, and makes quite a difference.

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Dec 2012, 17:34

The one failure of the Datahand! You cannot change the individual finger staggering, while relative finger lengths are not equal. Most notably the ring finger can be shorter than index finger, but also longer. This would be hard to fix on any keyboard where switches are attached to the PCB which is made out of one piece for one or two hands.

bisl

24 Dec 2012, 23:06

webwit wrote:You cannot change the individual finger staggering
ErgoDox v2: per-finger PCBs?

Icarium

25 Dec 2012, 00:21

Shouldn't be all that hard but is also not as important as it is on the Datahand. :)

gdaian

05 Jan 2013, 22:23

Vierax wrote:it just doesn't complete the whole attempt I have of the “nearly perfect” keyboard
I'm interested to hear how you think it could be improved. I think it may be a bit bulky and wireless would be fantastic. Otherwise it closely matches my ideal keyboard (until we get chorded wearable keyers, that is). I haven't seen anything so compelling in any commercial model to date.

bhtooefr

06 Jan 2013, 00:40

Vierax wrote:Moreover, I don't want to buy an Ergodox (even if I fully respect the team work and think it's a great project, it just doesn't complete the whole attempt I have of the “nearly perfect” keyboard) but I'll fell sad if the groupbuy is screwed by MD or anyone else.
Yeah, it's an awesome project that I want to see succeed, but one that I'm completely uninterested in. (I'll take a modern 104-key ANSI capacitive buckling spring board, myself.)

hdss

08 Jan 2013, 01:45

Also interested for a buy, from EU. Any activity on a group buy?

wasabah

09 Jan 2013, 13:06

I would be interested in a group buy or something like that in the EU!

AloisiusFauxly

10 Jan 2013, 06:01

BugBuster wrote:BTW, does anyone know what's the most quiet switch for both programming and occasional gaming?
I have the same usage as you and I went with browns for my build and there is almost no sound at the actuation point. I'm still getting noise from bottoming out, though I imagine that would be similar for most switches.

dirge

10 Jan 2013, 09:17

AloisiusFauxly wrote:
BugBuster wrote:BTW, does anyone know what's the most quiet switch for both programming and occasional gaming?
I have the same usage as you and I went with browns for my build and there is almost no sound at the actuation point. I'm still getting noise from bottoming out, though I imagine that would be similar for most switches.
O rings should lessen the sound a bit mate, think wasd keyboards sell them.

AloisiusFauxly

10 Jan 2013, 09:22

Eh, the noise doesn't bother me enough. Besides, I should probably just learn to feel for the actuation point, from what I've read.

7bit

10 Jan 2013, 19:56

Mayby, I will do a 2nd run with mount plate and 7BIT-layout option.

It will ...
- be cheaper
- take almost forever to be delivered
- come with any choice of switches, inculding the popular MXLOCK and when I can get hands on them, Matias-ALPS.
- have a solid mount plate

:-)

TheQsanity

11 Jan 2013, 10:28

Just wondering, does anyone type any faster with the Kinesis, ergoDox, or anything of that shape?

Vierax

11 Jan 2013, 10:35

TheQsanity wrote:Just wondering, does anyone type any faster with the Kinesis, ergoDox, or anything of that shape?
As learning an alternative KB layout as DSK or Colemak, It's more a quest of comfort than speed. ;)

Jim66

11 Jan 2013, 10:36

TheQsanity wrote:Just wondering, does anyone type any faster with the Kinesis, ergoDox, or anything of that shape?
You'll type fast on any layout that you've gotten used to. This is more of a comfort/ergonomic thing (thumb clusters etc...). I guess you could argue that you might be able to type faster because its layout is more optimized; but then again, that sentence is awfully cringey and you'd really have to be being held up by a traditional staggered layout to see a significant difference in speed.

mikelanding

11 Jan 2013, 10:54

Me. I do type faster on Kinesis compare to HHKB
For me, Kinesis is much more conform than HHKB. I have RSI now. Cant type on any normal kb for long. But with Kinesis, I can work for more than 10 hours. Only my left pinky will sore. Guess that is my weakest finger of 10 :lol:

sordna

11 Jan 2013, 15:43

Add a footswitch or palm keys to relieve your pinkies. It works!

@AloisiusFauxly, thanks for the helpful info! Palm keys are a must for me, I'll add them when I get the ErgoDox.

ibnteo

11 Jan 2013, 19:24

Connectors can be placed inside the body, with the possibility to use the Mini-USB from Teensy, without connectors. This keyboard can be anywhere balk sticking wires will not interfere.

Vierax

12 Jan 2013, 21:31

ibnteo wrote:Image

Connectors can be placed inside the body, with the possibility to use the Mini-USB from Teensy, without connectors. This keyboard can be anywhere balk sticking wires will not interfere.
Welcome here

I think, and I think it's the thought of the Ergodox team, that is not a very wise design because the natural position want users to set the two halves in an inverted V position (like the Greek letter Lambda “Λ” ) and the top of cases are closer than bottom. Moreover, this middle cable don't allow you to put, for example, a paper sheet or a notebook or a block between the two halves to copy some notes on a text editor.

Dreadwyrm

13 Jan 2013, 16:20

This looks pretty cool, does somebody know what the "raw aircraft grade aluminum" case is supposed to look like?

hoggy

14 Jan 2013, 20:38

bisl

14 Jan 2013, 21:21

hoggy wrote:Saw this on kbdmania...
Personally, I'd take the dox hands-down over any keyboard with row staggering. I think that might be the top selling point of the board to me.

Return to “Workshop”