Case discussions

Acanthophis

31 Jan 2013, 23:53

Ishumprod wrote:i see this as a clear, clean case, and i too think that led holes break a bit the concept :(
There you go, folks.
Even the swiss don't like it!

damorgue

01 Feb 2013, 00:01

I ought to tally the votes. I think most don't want LED holes, but I may be mistaken or biased.

Acanthophis

01 Feb 2013, 00:05

Just make a poll in the entry post ;)

agor

01 Feb 2013, 09:49

They are unnecessary anyways. Just look at the Realforce 86u for example 8-)
Clean design always wins!

Jmneuv

01 Feb 2013, 12:53

isn't there a way to move the teensy controller off the regular spot? that increase in thickness is unfortunate about the phantom.
How badly would making the case slanted increase cost? That way incorporating the feet into the case shape would give the thickness more 'return value'.
Hmm alternatively one could make a teensy hole putting the bump into a hollow foot..i'll try to draw something up.

edit:

damorgue

02 Feb 2013, 11:18

If you look at the moot recent pics, you will see that there is a hole there with a cover to make more room for the teensy and make the case less high in the front. I should have updated the first post as well.
This pic shows the hole in the bottom plate, where I have a piece much like the one you described, although mine is another flat piece: http://i.imgur.com/15Wbb29.png

Jmneuv

02 Feb 2013, 11:36

Ahh nice, sorry i missed that;
i was thinking the same: either just a cover or optionally some kind of foot at that place;

Would an option for fully populated keys on the right-hand side be possible?

agor

02 Feb 2013, 19:07

Looks awesome, but please no LED holes :D

damorgue

03 Feb 2013, 00:20

Jmneuv wrote: Would an option for fully populated keys on the right-hand side be possible?
damorgue wrote:
damorgue wrote: Standard - What you might consider normal or a regular layout.
Arrclus - Only has the arrow cluster opened up to allow for the 5 keys above it to be used
Winkeyless - Has small areas which block and cover up the holes left by the lack of winkeys
Winkeyless_Arrclus - A combination of Winkeyless and Arrclus
7bit - Area above arrowcluster opened and entire F-row open
I believe you are describing what I have labeled "Arrclus", unless "fully populated" includes another couple of extra keys which I am currently unaware that the Phantom supports.

Jmneuv

03 Feb 2013, 00:41

yup, Arrclus

Wraul

03 Feb 2013, 22:16

This looks very promising.
Need a couple for my phantoms so I would most likely buy more than one.

My vote goes to Black+Silver and no LED holes.

damorgue

05 Feb 2013, 12:31

Got better quotes recently. Feet remains to be decided. Anyone know of a good source of feet commonly used for HiFi equipment? There is no need to make a low number of them as there ought to be plenty available somewhere.

nebo

05 Feb 2013, 18:07

Is there any kind of style you're wanting in particular? Just searching for "speaker feet" should get a broad variation of feet.

graboy

05 Feb 2013, 23:53

Here's a source with very little information but seems to have the perfect part...
http://www.reevite.co.uk/pages/fpid.htm

I'm looking at P1608, the largest one on the bottom of the page. They also have conical shaped feet, which may be better, here.

Note these are push-in feet, so an additional hole will have to be drilled in order to put them in. I guess you have to contact the supplier to see how much they will cost.

EDIT: We could also use P1607 for the feet on the lower side of the board, and for these who like their keyboards flat, these could be used for all feet.

damorgue

06 Feb 2013, 00:12

I have a couple of suppliers of feet with a threaded end. I intended to use them through the holes which holds the covering plates at the bottom. Unfortunately, I have only found them with M8, which makes the nut on the inside quite large. Will look for speaker feet instead. Worst case scenario, I get some rubber only bumps which are glued to the bottom surface, although I tend to dislike them.

damorgue

06 Feb 2013, 12:25

The good news is that we are looking at well below $200 provided we order enough.

These are the feet I mentioned earlier.
Unfortunately, the smallest size is M8.

agor

06 Feb 2013, 14:33

Below 200$ would mean I order at least 1 ;)

Acanthophis

06 Feb 2013, 14:58

agor wrote:Below 200$ would mean I order at least 1 ;)
Make it drölftausend!

nebo

06 Feb 2013, 17:15

~$200 + shipping is pretty darn good IMO.

BimboBB

07 Feb 2013, 15:01

damorgue wrote:The good news is that we are looking at well below $200 provided we order enough.

These are the feet I mentioned earlier.
Unfortunately, the smallest size is M8.
Such feets with a hinge(?), would be great. I am also currently looking for some feets for the vortex case which has two M6 holes. Couldnt found anything suitable in the hi-fi segment, but found something in the industrial segment - rubber-metal dampers. Most suitable might be this one.

damorgue

07 Feb 2013, 18:26

https://www.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/asset ... 42229f.jpg

I too found a similar solution, but they tend to be tall, as well as expensive since they are tuned to damp certain frequencies.

rindorbrot

07 Feb 2013, 19:36

yes, those seem pretty high to me. I like my keyboard more on the flat side.

rindorbrot

07 Feb 2013, 22:35

How about engraving the Phantom logo on the bottom of the case?
I'd really love to see that happening.

Acanthophis

08 Feb 2013, 00:53

rindorbrot wrote:How about engraving the Phantom logo on the bottom of the case?

Amen!

graboy

08 Feb 2013, 03:30

rindorbrot wrote:How about engraving the Phantom logo on the bottom of the case?
I'd personally rather see the case go unbranded, I'm pretty sure this would significantly add to the cost aswell.

calavera

09 Feb 2013, 02:03

I need to change my pants..

LeslieAnn

09 Feb 2013, 04:33

I like this and if it goes for around $200, I'm in.

I have a suggestion on the LED holes...
Make the large hole come from the backside, but only a pinhole pierce the top. This wouldn't disturb the lines as much but would allow LED's to show if desired, and only two tiny dots if you don't want it.

I would also prefer either having the logo optional or leave it off entirely, and I second the milled underside for Filco keyboards.

damorgue

14 Feb 2013, 13:37

Small naming error: The top piece labeled 7BIT should actually be called PROF. 7bit's layout is already included in the one called Arrclus I believe.
Last edited by damorgue on 14 Feb 2013, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

phetto
Elite

14 Feb 2013, 13:55

$200, phantom brand. GG

laden3

15 Feb 2013, 18:22

Is there an ETA?

Return to “Keyboards”