Ergodox - the keyboard

hoggy

04 Feb 2013, 20:41

I'm looking forward to getting one of these. I'm happy to run a group buy for keys from qwerkeys - but I'm waiting for them to offer doubleshots before going ahead. Any ideas for the keyset?

fossala
Elite +1

04 Feb 2013, 20:42

Damn that massdrop.

Nah, just kidding. If someone wants to help me organize a groupbuy, I'm all for helping. I will handle money, proxying and shipping. All you would have to do is handle ordering from the businesses to make sure everything is to the right specs.

Gilgam

04 Feb 2013, 22:34

hoggy wrote:I'm looking forward to getting one of these. I'm happy to run a group buy for keys from qwerkeys - but I'm waiting for them to offer doubleshots before going ahead. Any ideas for the keyset?
you want keys for the ergo dox ?

sordna

10 Feb 2013, 01:45

PCB and case files have been uploaded here:
http://www.ergodox.org/Downloads.aspx

let's see if anyone will have some made in Europe.

Merijn

10 Feb 2013, 11:15

Is anybody going to make an alu case? :3

Gilgam

10 Feb 2013, 23:21

Massdrop did.
Quite rough though.

i plan to make it in wood.
More ecological, (except ebony and all these rare woods...)

Findecanor

11 Feb 2013, 14:23

Please do post your case progress here. It would be nice to get some ideas.
I am also going to build my own case: because I don't like the visible nuts and bolts on the stock cases and also because I want to make it flatter.

jabar

11 Feb 2013, 19:54

I am interested in an ErgoDox, but I was turned off by the way GH handed Massdrop, and Massdrop themselves.

hoggy

11 Feb 2013, 22:18

I suspect that there's enough desire for a group buy (assuming that the designer's consent of course).

sordna

12 Feb 2013, 00:39

A European GB would be nice, and I don't think the designer's consent is even needed. It's an open source project, all the design files are now on ergodox.org and you are free to use them, change them, and redistribute them according to the GPL license: http://ergodox.org/License.aspx
Similarly, you don't need Linus' consent to build and hack the Linux kernel, or even to build and sell commercial products based on it.
I wish Apple or Microsoft builds and sells this thing, sadly that would be the best way to get straight-column split keyboards into the mainstream!

hoggy

12 Feb 2013, 11:08

I'm thinking out loud here, so I could buy a 3D printer and run a group buy for the cases... Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on the idea, or would be happy to buy a case?

Icarium

12 Feb 2013, 13:13

Getting decent results out of the usual consumer 3D printers is hard work and takes HOURS for one print. And you need to watch most of them at least with one eye during that time.

hoggy

12 Feb 2013, 13:28

Well, there's goes that idea :( . Thanks for saving me from myself. :)

Icarium

12 Feb 2013, 13:33

It's a good idea but the 3D printer you need is much more expensive than you thought. ;)

Jim66

12 Feb 2013, 14:03

Isn't suka 3D printing his own cases?

Icarium

12 Feb 2013, 14:11

Yes, but he works at a shop where they have the expensive stuff. :)

Jim66

12 Feb 2013, 14:34

I thought as much!

Gilgam

12 Feb 2013, 15:53

sordna wrote:all the design files are now on ergodox.org and you are free to use them, change them, and redistribute them according to the GPL license: http://ergodox.org/License.aspx
Bravo to dox to have set this licence ! 8-)

Merijn

02 Mar 2013, 22:36

It appears Massdrop is soldering the solderable parts on the pcb now. If you don't want your kit to be soldered it is wise to shoot them a message soon.

planet36

02 Mar 2013, 23:19

Merijn wrote:It appears Massdrop is soldering the solderable parts on the pcb now. If you don't want your kit to be soldered it is wise to shoot them a message soon.
Where did you read this?

Merijn

02 Mar 2013, 23:21

I've sent them a couple emails and it came into one of the replies. I requested them not to solder my stuff, and the person who I had contact with would pass it on. They would be soldering the Ergodox for most of their customers wouldn't be having soldering gear.

maxrunner

03 Mar 2013, 03:50

Wasnt there a thread here of this keyboard project?

sordna

03 Mar 2013, 09:39

maxrunner

03 Mar 2013, 18:19

Exactly, is there any group buy for this here yet?

Merijn

03 Mar 2013, 18:22

It appears the person I contacted with was confusing some products when talking to me if I have to believe a certain Geekhack user who also browses DT. So in the end the person I mailed with was wrong and nothing will be soldered it seems.

Return to “Keyboards”