DSA Retro Set (SHIPPED!)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Feb 2013, 22:04

We are grateful to the otd.kr community that allowed us to use their DSA 1.75 stepped key tooling for this group buy. Thanks guys, you rock!

TL;DR
  • DSA family, this ain't your standard key set, if you don't know what it means, read below!
  • space bars are in DCS but they go well together with DSA keys
  • We now have DSA spacebars! read below
  • ISO Returns and left stem'ed caps are in DCS and I have no idea how they look together with DSA
  • For a standard TKL you need KIT1 + KIT2 or KIT3 + 6.25 space bar
  • Remember to pick a spacebar
  • If you get ISO remember to pick at least 3 1-unit blanks
  • Pricing
  • Order form
DSA Family
This is a group buy for DSA family spherical keycaps. DSA is a medium profile keycaps family (PDF of Signature Plastics reference) with spherical top.

This is how it looks like compared to other families:

To my knowledge there have been very few (if none) GBs for this family of keycaps. Keys are all on the same profile (0-degrees angle) which means that you can place any key in any position (the are no rows like in standard DCS family). This makes them suitable for custom keyboards and unconventional layouts (dvorak, colemak, ...).

This is not your usual set of keycaps, be sure to understand what you are buying.

Colors
Colors are inspired by the Commodore 64, hence the "Retro" naming.

These are the official SP colors we are going to use:

This is a preview of the Retro kit (NOTE that the mods are not how they really look like in this set, this is just to give you a rough idea)

PS: I've been asked for additional colors (namely white on blue). If this GB gets a very high volume of orders we may add more colors.

Kits
Here what you can buy. There are a lot of options but don't worry, I developed a web app to make ordering very easy, see below.

KIT 1: Extetended Alpha
includes homing keys for dvorak, colemak and others

KIT 2: TKL + Winkeyless + Capslock Switch kit | !!!MOQ 25!!!
This is all you need for "standard keyboards", just remember to add a spacebar (6.25 Universal for the usual sospects).

NOTE: Left stemmed keys are in DCS Family not DSA!

KIT 3: TKL Plum + Winkeyless + Capslock Switch kit | !!!MOQ 25!!!
Same as above but in burgundy

KIT 4: Numpad

KIT 5: ISO
NOTE: NO 1 unit keys included, you have to buy them separately!

KIT 6: C64 Nostalgia
Function row in Commodore style

KIT 7-11: All mods!
NOTE: No duplicate keys! If you want 2 ctrl, 2 alt, 2 super, ... you need to pick 2 of each!

KIT 12: Extras!

Blanks
Blank keys for every need. Remember to pick a space bar.

Important note regarding space bars! **UPDATED**
Signature Plastics initially said that they couldn't provide DSA spacebars, but they contacted me back saying that they actually have them!

I've just updated the order form with the new space bars. If you already placed your order, I'm not going to automatically switch your DCS spacebars to DSA because the DCS ones might still be needed for certain keyboards.

This is how it works
  • 6 units DSA: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 38mm from center. No clue what this is about
  • 6.2 units DSA: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 50mm from center. This has the standard Filco and the like mounting position.
  • 7 units DSA: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 57mm from center. This is mainly for winkeyless.
  • 6 units DCS: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 38mm from center. No clue what this is about
  • 6.2 units Universal DCS: This is the universal Signature Plastics 6 mount points space bar. This should fit most of the keyboards out there
  • 7 units DCS: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 57mm from center. There's no reason to get this spacebar anymore being the 7u DSA a perfect alternative.
If you don't know which one to take, look at the back of your spacebar and measure the distance of the stems.

I would recommend taking a couple of spacebars in different families (it's 2 bucks at high tiers). This would save you unpleasant surprises! Anyway we will be taking some spares, just in case.

Deadline
We don't have a fixed deadline yet, it depends on how the orders flow. This is not going to last long anyway, I'd like to make this GB pretty fast, so a soft deadline might be March 4.

Pricing
You can find pricing and follow the real-time price changes at this address:

Group Buy Pricing

Order
For this group buy I've set up a special web application.

Order Form

When you send your order you'll be given an Order ID, write it down somewhere, with that ID you can review, change or delete your order at any time. No need to ask me to do it for you. You can also save the order ID on your browser as a cookie for easy access.

If you lose the Order ID, you can simply resend your order, the previous one will be overwritten!

With your order ID you can also follow the cost of your key caps based on the current tiers.

Logistics
I'm taking care of the kit layouts, interest check, group buy, contacts with Signature Plastics, replying to questions in this thread and so on. samwisekoi (located in the US), will collect money, place the order with SP and send keys to all of you.

I'm located in Europe, so if it's cheaper we might find some way to collect/split orders between the continents (both for payments and shipping).

- Your friendly neighbors samwisekoi & matt3o
Last edited by matt3o on 03 Jun 2013, 14:03, edited 15 times in total.

zulios

11 Feb 2013, 23:10

Is there an approximate end date for the orders ?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Feb 2013, 23:16

zulios wrote:Is there an approximate end date for the orders ?
good point, I forgot about the deadline in the OP, I'd say 1 month, it depends how the orders flow.

Jmneuv

11 Feb 2013, 23:23

Ah so nicely presented, just might get hooked.

pasph

11 Feb 2013, 23:26

Great job!
Last edited by pasph on 12 Feb 2013, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

insomnesia

12 Feb 2013, 00:57

is it possible to have all blank keycaps with plum mods and coffee for the others?
hope there is more option for blanks..color and size option :)

jabar

12 Feb 2013, 03:21

Is the coffee legend even happening?

Fred

12 Feb 2013, 08:03

"KIT 1: Extetended Alpha" :P

The alpha kit sure wasn't pricey, too bad mods make up for that. lol
This is a must order!

Gilgam

12 Feb 2013, 08:23

i'll order a FR set for those interested in. I'll try to get a price for this
FR.png
FR.png (19.6 KiB) Viewed 28413 times
and order the MOQ.
Quitte à revendre sur le long terme :-)

SO if you want to...

zulios

12 Feb 2013, 09:09

@Gilgam : I was thinking the same thing and will definitely be in for FR :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Feb 2013, 09:39

The FR set alone would be around $13 in the first tier, but please note the there might be molds that SP don't have. That would be $45 for each new key. (I'm going to ask)

Also... aren't number and symbols inverted?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Feb 2013, 09:44

some freaking good news guys... I've been contacted by vendors... finger crossed...

Ascaii
The Beard

12 Feb 2013, 09:46

Any chance we might be able to hook up a DE set? One german vendor recently started offering caps, perhaps they would join this gb for some sets. Case King is the german vendor.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Feb 2013, 09:50

Ascaii wrote:Any chance we might be able to hook up a DE set? One german vendor recently started offering caps, perhaps they would join this gb for some sets. Case King is the german vendor.
make a layout like Gilliam did and I'll show it to SP.

Bullveyr

12 Feb 2013, 10:23

matt3o wrote:some freaking good news guys... I've been contacted by vendors... finger crossed...
*crossingfingers*

zulios

12 Feb 2013, 10:23

matt3o wrote:The FR set alone would be around $13 in the first tier, but please note the there might be molds that SP don't have. That would be $45 for each new key. (I'm going to ask)
That doesn't seem so bad !
Also... aren't number and symbols inverted?
:lol:
Welcome to FR layout, where you need to press shift to get a number on the number row ;) But it's better that way for us because we use accents a lot.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Feb 2013, 10:28

ISO layouts are weird indeed :) and I though the Italian one was silly

Fred

12 Feb 2013, 10:46

Someone, send this man an SE kit layout! haha

BimboBB

12 Feb 2013, 11:00

matt3o wrote:
Ascaii wrote:Any chance we might be able to hook up a DE set? One german vendor recently started offering caps, perhaps they would join this gb for some sets. Case King is the german vendor.
make a layout like Gilliam did and I'll show it to SP.

Attached the DE layout. Would be great to know how many "new" legends are in this set. :)
Attachments
DE.jpg
DE.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 28130 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Feb 2013, 11:06

the upper left key! Stargate!

7bit

12 Feb 2013, 11:15

Why is Kit 11 so expensive? All keys are in kit 2.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Feb 2013, 11:22

7bit wrote:Why is Kit 11 so expensive? All keys are in kit 2.
hell if I know. I asked for confirmation and that is indeed correct. She just said that 1.75+ keys are expensive. maybe the fact that we have different colors impact on pricing. note that keys sorting is included.

pasph

12 Feb 2013, 11:23

And here it is the silly italian set, please ask to SP
Attachments
kb_IT.jpg
kb_IT.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 28074 times

7bit

12 Feb 2013, 11:32

matt3o wrote:
hell if I know. I asked for confirmation and that is indeed correct. She just said that 1.75+ keys are expensive. maybe the fact that we have different colors impact on pricing. note that keys sorting is included.
I know that they are more expansive, but it is almost the same price as for the complete kit.
Wait!

What do you mean "keys sorting is included"?
:shock:

You should ask for the price without sorting, so you see how much money you could earn if you sort them yourself!
:-)

Halverson

12 Feb 2013, 11:35

7bit wrote:
matt3o wrote:
I know that they are more expansive, but it is almost the same price as for the complete kit.
Wait!

What do you mean "keys sorting is included"?

You should ask for the price without sorting, so you see how much money you could earn if you sort them yourself!
As much as he could earn, it would surely cost more for the therapy needed afterwards :p

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Feb 2013, 11:42

7bit wrote:
matt3o wrote:
Wait!
Are we looking at the same kit? KIT 11 is 70.46 KIT 2 is 263.48

I'll ask Melissa to triple check it :)
7bit wrote: What do you mean "keys sorting is included"?

$0.05 per key approx... and I'm not sorting them, samwisekoi is.

dirge

12 Feb 2013, 11:44

So glad this is opening up to more languages, whats got me is how reasonable the costs are to accomodate this! Why have we not always done this?!?!?!?!?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Feb 2013, 11:48

dirge wrote:Why have we not always done this?!?!?!?!?
because most likely SP doesn't have legends ready in DSA family... so $45 for each new one.

BimboBB

12 Feb 2013, 11:56

....and you need people who are willing to make it happen, like 7bit and matt3o. <3

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Feb 2013, 12:01

let's collect all the language packs. when we have some ready I'll ask Melissa what keys we need the legend for (I'm expecting a good 50%)

Return to “Group buys”