Cherry B80-16AC

User avatar
UncleFan

Cherry B80-16AC

Unread post by UncleFan » 02 Aug 2018, 15:31

HeyGuys. I won it from the eBay auction, sorry, this is a set of not so good photos.Yes, my photos are as sucks as ever...
According to daniel-beardsmore-u819/'s suggestion, it comes from https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.p ... Consul_580
Unfortunately, some keycaps were missing and some keystem were broken. However, I found the cherry M4 switch on it, this is the first time I saw real M4.
The following is the photos, hope someone can help me to build it into DT wiki. ;)
(I have tried to build a wiki entry, but it is harder than I thought.)
IMG_7089(20180802-200550).jpg
Front of the keyboard
IMG_7089(20180802-200550).jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 410 times
this is cherry M4, I guess its model should be M41-0802:
IMG_7099(20180802-200535).jpg
M4(alt.action switch)
IMG_7099(20180802-200535).jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 410 times
Keyboard's model:
IMG_7101(20180802-192230).jpg
Keyboard model
IMG_7101(20180802-192230).jpg (787.71 KiB) Viewed 410 times
This switch is a dummy switch, the strange thing is that it can't be pressed, I am not quite sure about its purpose. There are many dummy switches on this keyboard that are fixed like this.
IMG_7112(20180802-200834).jpg
M4 Dummy white
IMG_7112(20180802-200834).jpg (702.29 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Its spacebar is using a heavier switch with red mark. This switch has the same appearance as the M61-0120. and most switches of this keyboard are M61-0120.
IMG_7107(20180802-200809).jpg
Spacebar
IMG_7107(20180802-200809).jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 410 times
IMG_7109(20180802-194019).jpg
Spacebar mech.
IMG_7109(20180802-194019).jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 410 times
The first one is a dummy switch that cannot be pressed. The second is the M61-0120, the third is the DPST switch, which has the same appearance as the M61-0100. And the fourth is M61-0120. In general, SHIFT always using a different switch, but this seems to be an exception.
IMG_7113(20180802-194409).jpg
Some switches
IMG_7113(20180802-194409).jpg (958.03 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Here is PCB and some details of it:
IMG_7115(20180802-201549).jpg
Back side of PCB
IMG_7115(20180802-201549).jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 410 times
IMG_7117(20180802-194657).jpg
some details of it
IMG_7117(20180802-194657).jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 410 times
IMG_7118(20180802-194648).jpg
IMG_7118(20180802-194648).jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 410 times
That's all ;)

User avatar
Muirium
µ

Unread post by Muirium » 02 Aug 2018, 15:34

Those caps! That font! Are these Helvetica doubleshots? Knew someone did it right, back in the day! Never realised it would be Cherry!

User avatar
UncleFan

Unread post by UncleFan » 02 Aug 2018, 15:45

Muirium wrote: Those caps! That font! Are these Helvetica doubleshots? Knew someone did it right, back in the day! Never realised it would be Cherry!
Yes,Except for the key cap of the M4 switch, the others are doubleshots. I am sorry that I forgot to mention it. My focus is often on those switches on the keyboard.

User avatar
green-squid

Unread post by green-squid » 02 Aug 2018, 17:43

Great find, uncle! :)

andrewjoy

Unread post by andrewjoy » 02 Aug 2018, 17:45

Nice find!

Check out that old school PCB..... mmm

oh and the caps are ok i guess.

User avatar
zslane

Unread post by zslane » 02 Aug 2018, 19:43

Oh man, back when Cherry made spherical keycaps. And so tall! Simply awesome!

(They should be ashamed of themselves for ever abandoning that beautiful keycap profile and afflicting the world with ... ugh ... cylindrical instead.)

User avatar
snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

Unread post by snacksthecat » 02 Aug 2018, 23:48

I have a very similar keyboard as well! I'll post some photos when I get home tonight.

BTW this is the third time this week I've hears ADDS mentioned and I still have no idea what it is. Is it just a brand / type of terminal?

I haven't checked to see what protocol (if any) my keyboard is. It has so many pins I assumed that the computer just read the keys directly but that'd be cool if it was something more obscure. :lol:

User avatar
Laser
emacs -nw

Unread post by Laser » 02 Aug 2018, 23:53

snacksthecat wrote: BTW this is the third time this week I've hears ADDS mentioned and I still have no idea what it is. Is it just a brand / type of terminal?
The link to the Wiki is right there at the beginning of the 1st post :)

User avatar
hansichen

Unread post by hansichen » 03 Aug 2018, 00:02

zslane wrote: Oh man, back when Cherry made spherical keycaps. And so tall! Simply awesome!

(They should be ashamed of themselves for ever abandoning that beautiful keycap profile and afflicting the world with ... ugh ... cylindrical instead.)
I'm not sure if it's coincidence that Cherry survived for decades while all companies that sticked to sperical keycaps died.

User avatar
snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

Unread post by snacksthecat » 03 Aug 2018, 00:04

Laser wrote:
snacksthecat wrote: BTW this is the third time this week I've hears ADDS mentioned and I still have no idea what it is. Is it just a brand / type of terminal?
The link to the Wiki is right there at the beginning of the 1st post :)
My most sincere apologies

User avatar
Laser
emacs -nw

Unread post by Laser » 03 Aug 2018, 00:09

No need, happens to all of us, just pointing to the link :)

User avatar
snuci
Vintage computer guy

Unread post by snuci » 03 Aug 2018, 02:52

Very cool find UncleFan and nice pics!

User avatar
UncleFan

Unread post by UncleFan » 03 Aug 2018, 13:14

snacksthecat wrote: I have a very similar keyboard as well! I'll post some photos when I get home tonight.
I am curious what switch is used on that keyboard you have. :D

User avatar
snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

Unread post by snacksthecat » 03 Aug 2018, 15:38

UncleFan wrote:
snacksthecat wrote: I have a very similar keyboard as well! I'll post some photos when I get home tonight.
I am curious what switch is used on that keyboard you have. :D
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Post Reply

Return to “Photos”