HHKB refresh in 2019?

cookie

16 Jan 2020, 16:41

Elrick wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 01:46
It's for an HHKB where beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder, and nowhere else ;) .
True, but let's be honest. PFU dropped the ball this time.

andrewjoy

16 Jan 2020, 17:40

cookie wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 16:41

True, but let's be honest. PFU dropped the ball this time.
PFU Coasting on previous success and not innovating or keeping with the times.

Also known as "Doing an Intel"

cookie

16 Jan 2020, 18:19

Innovation in Japan is slightly different and I understand this, however I wouldn't necessarily say that PFU is "Doing an Intel".
The new product iteration has some sort of innovation, but it's not the one I personally was hoping for and I believe some people feel the same way.

the_marsbar

16 Jan 2020, 19:00

I don’t know. Isn’t it mainly the battery compartment that’s bothering people?

It seems more robustly built (and sounds like it too), and with added convenience.

At least I like it so far.

cookie

17 Jan 2020, 10:13

I'd say the battery compartment is the biggest issue yes, the new case design is also something people have mixed feelings about, I personally don't think it's a good looking case.

However the real innovation is the programmability and connectivity, I also like the dip switches on the bottom side and USB-C. It makes the back site very clean.

the_marsbar

17 Jan 2020, 10:36

Maybe it's just be being overly optimistic, or imaginative, or something else. However, I'm almost positive that one could remove the battery compartment, replace it with a new cover, and possibly even place a small (too small?) battery inside. The battery compartment of the Bluetooth model could be removed, but the power button would stick out. However, since the battery compartment on the HYBRID doesn't contain the power button, that would no longer be the case, and I think it could end up looking great. Perhaps with a modification of the battery compartment it could be clicked in somehow, and one could swap between a small re-chargeable battery and AA-batteries (I realize this is pure speculation though, and I don't know exactly how to solve the issues).

I'm really busy at the moment, so unfortunately I don't really have time to make a proof-of-concept... I hope someone else will, otherwise I might when I get the time.

cookie

17 Jan 2020, 11:12

That's a lot of effort to get rid of the battery peins, but maybe worth the connectivity you get (compared to a Pro2 BT mod).
A really good solution would be an aftermarked bottom case.

the_marsbar

17 Jan 2020, 12:00

Agree. I think Norbauer is working on one (just based on stuff I read on reddit)?

_PixelNinja

18 Jan 2020, 23:07

As far as I know, Norbauer is working on a case for the Pro 2.

Noxary also has the Evija (also Pro 2) in the works:

Noxary_Evija_prototype_01.jpg
Noxary_Evija_prototype_01.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 104 times
Noxary_Evija_prototype_03.jpg
Noxary_Evija_prototype_03.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 104 times

Elrick

Yesterday, 01:23

_PixelNinja wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 23:07
As far as I know, Norbauer is working on a case for the Pro 2.

Noxary_Evija_prototype_03.jpg
Pity HHKB never bothered to pay Norbauer to use his design for their latest releases. I'm hoping they will in the near future.

Then watch this keyboard sell like hot-cakes on a cold morning ;) .

_PixelNinja

Yesterday, 01:34

Knowing PFU/Topre, there's virtually no chance of that happening.

Return to “News”