Signature Plastics custom doubleshots - Great experience!

wyse_guy

12 Oct 2019, 18:01

Just a quick testimonial, I had a great experience working with Signature Plastics on custom ABS doubleshots in late 2019.

The process was simple, I created my own design on KLE, sent a screenshot of it to Melissa at Signature Plastics, and basically had my custom keycaps 6 weeks later. Signature was very professional, friendly, and easy to work with. It was no more complicated than ordering custom t-shirts online, perhaps slightly more expensive.

These keycaps were made to support my homebrew POS software which I use in my convenience store business.

To support both the Wyse WY-50 and WY-60 keyboards, I had two different styles made. Signature Plastics still makes stepped keycaps in all the weird sizes like 1.25 wide, which the Wyse 50 keyboard has.

The color scheme is inspired heavily by the Verifone Ruby POS system, considered the omnipotent god of POS keyboards in my industry.

Really enjoyed this project! It's so cool to be able to get new keycaps for old Wyse keyboards, with the exact same font and perfect aesthetic match because it's from the original manufacturer still in business. What a treat!

NOS vintage Wyse WY-55 serial terminal, NOS vintage Wyse ASCII keyboard (840338-01) w/ Cherry MX blacks, mix of factory keycaps and new 2019 Signature Plastics keycaps.

Note the beautiful job Signature Plastics did matching the new custom "00" key on the numpad to the adjacent vintage factory "0" key. These are ~30 years apart in age.

Wyse WY-50 dumb terminal, Wyse 50 keyboard (840059-01) w/ Cherry MX blacks, mix of factory key caps and new 2019 SP key caps.

Color scheme inspired by Verifone Ruby Supersystem POS keyboard.

Keycaps are RA (red), ON (orange), YY (yellow), VV (green), VBV (teal), BO (blue), RDA (purple) on Wyse 60 keyboard only, and TGH (brown).

Legends are WFK (White as F**K), BBI (factory dark navy blue), and VBV (teal).

DCS profile looking great!

The Clear key was inspired by the SA 1976 keyset. VBV legend on TGH keycap, looks as great in person as you think it does, highly recommended!

abrahamstechnology

12 Oct 2019, 19:48

Glad to see that these are still useful! Screw you, vintage black harvesters!
Any chance on getting them to make a full replacement set for Wyses (or at least the spacebar and nonstandard keys)? I'd buy a couple.

Muirium
µ

12 Oct 2019, 22:03

Seeing a Google Pay sticker on a CRT… what is this strange delight? Vintage homebrew POS, that's what! You came to the right place with this inspired madness! Thanks for sharing.

User101

13 Oct 2019, 08:03

Absolutely beautiful. Glad to see someone using the wyse instead of harvesting the switches

forter4

14 Oct 2019, 14:44

Nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to create completely custom keycaps?

wyse_guy

14 Oct 2019, 15:33

forter4 wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 14:44
Nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to create completely custom keycaps?
More than an iMac, less than an iMac Pro.

When you dream of your own custom doubleshot set, you're imagining quantity 104+ keycaps. The real cost is in creating a permanent legend mold for each one. At $25 each, a full keyboard gets pricey.

But it's a one-time expense, and I was only doing sets of 31 keycaps. Signature Plastics was very reasonable.

If you find yourself in my situation - you need less than half a keyboard of keycaps, it's for a thriving business you expect to continue growing, and you're SURE about the legends because you make your own software - it's justifiable to save and spend for. Kind of like buying a nice mechanical keyboard in the first place.

Return to “Keyboards”