What uk layout “gaming” keyboard should I get?

Danielwhite1

03 Dec 2019, 10:00

I’ve been trying to find a 60% or ten-keyless keyboard that is a uk layout for AGES now and for 50-70 pounds. Can anyone help me?reverse phone lookupnba reddit pcpartpicker
Last edited by Danielwhite1 on 05 Dec 2019, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

03 Dec 2019, 11:07

Well, it’s still “Black Friday” season apparently. So it’s a good time to be looking.

Click the offers tab here and see if anything strikes you:

https://www.keyboardco.com/

(Yes, other stores are also available. But I seldom buy new boards so my knowledge is spotty.)

You haven’t said what switches or looks you’re after. I’d beware of Matias switches for reliability’s sake.

vometia
irritant

04 Dec 2019, 11:44

I'd also beware of certain stores (such as the above) in case something goes wrong. Trouble is, when it comes to tech outlets, I've had more negative experiences than positive ones. Some are worse than others and I'd avoid the likes of Ebuyer like the plague.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2019, 12:23

Yeah, shopping online sucks compared to real life. But apparently I’m the oddball with my Amazon history visible all the way back to 2002, whole years here and there without a single order. Most people, clearly, have taken the bargain prices and shrugged off the bothersome (or downright nonexistent) returns. Try before you? No: buy!

Speaking of Ebuyer: hard avoid! A friend of mine (who had much better luck with keyboardco than Vometia) has a graphics card of theirs currently sitting in an empty house on his street, due to Yodel delivery incompetence. He’s running through their refund process like a mouse in a cage…

kmnov2017

04 Dec 2019, 13:44

Muirium wrote:
... and shrugged off the bothersome (or downright nonexistent) returns. Try before you? No: buy!
What am I missing here ? :?: Everything bought online is returnable. This is written into law since as far as I can remember .... That's how I "try" before I "buy"...

vometia
irritant

04 Dec 2019, 13:53

Amazon are a mixed bag. I often shop there as it's hard for me to get out and many places still aren't great at online ordering or more often really suck at returns: Amazon are less good in that respect than they were but still better than most. But their novelty tax status always makes me grit my teeth, much more so than I'm happy about the prices; plus they're getting increasingly bad at grey market and more recently a flood of not just slightly but entirely dodgy knock-offs.

Ebuyer are horrible. I know a lot of places are bad at dealing with faulty/broken/missing stuff especially when it comes to wriggling out of return postage costs (and of course they'll hold you to ransom and not pay up until they've got it) but Ebuyer are the only company I've encountered that deducted 50% of the refund on the basis that I'd still had use of the item in question, a bad GPU that they eventually accepted was broken. Turns out it is actually legal but I've never encountered another company stooping to doing that.

I've also just been refunded for The Monolith that I posted a picture of elsewhere: cost a lot, arrived in very scratched and actually visibly damaged condition with bits missing, plus it stunk of baked-on cigarette smoke. Seller (Conrad of Austria: may as well name the guilty) just started ignoring me so I had to raise a Section 75 with my card company who also tried to arse about but after I got in a strop (and involved the ombudsman...) the latter finally paid up.

Oh, and "written into law" doesn't mean they won't try to mess you about: a lot of people will give up so it's worth it to less reputable retailers to try it on.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2019, 13:59

kmnov2017 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 13:44
Muirium wrote:
... and shrugged off the bothersome (or downright nonexistent) returns. Try before you? No: buy!
What am I missing here ? :?: Everything bought online is returnable. This is written into law since as far as I can remember .... That's how I "try" before I "buy"...
Everything Vometia just said. Most people (including me) will just give up when faced with angry questions and dodges from these companies. All for the sake of “trying” something new… because we are forced to buy it, blind.

Awful!

In my case, I buy very almost nothing as a result. Which is my excuse for going for the very best stuff at whatever task it is, so I can be sure it’ll work and I won’t doubt myself.

I’m much more experimental when things are on sale in physical stores I can actually visit and browse in person. What I lack in returns bloody mindedness, I make up for in bare faced haggling!

kmnov2017

04 Dec 2019, 14:10

No clue about the UK, in Germany returns are standard practice. Since our last 5 years in Germany , on average my wife returns 9 out of every 10 orders each year. Whenever items were prepaid for , money came back within a week. But most of our orders are on invoice (common practice in Germany as Germans have a hatred for credit cards - never really understood why but whatever makes people happy). Invoices get automatically cancelled on a return. I can't even imagine buying something online without the option of a free return.

andrewjoy

04 Dec 2019, 17:08

Dont go for any of that ISO rubbish when gaming , the larger left shift makes this much better when pressing key combos and bindings for gaming.

We need for someone to make UK ANSI a thing! US style left shift but with UK for everything else.

vometia
irritant

04 Dec 2019, 18:13

Obligatory "I hate ANSI" reply. I think the size of the left-shift key is pretty low down the list of "why I'm rubbish at combat", whereas the small, mean return bar is a significant contributor to "why I'm rubbish at typing".

gipetto

04 Dec 2019, 20:27

most customs support iso I understand. I have a yd60mq 60% in iso-uk layout at the moment, or maybe you just want a prebuilt?

Return to “Keyboards”