[W̶T̶B̶] G80-3000 & [FS] Ricercar SPOS, G80-8113, G80-8200

Hi all,

I need a cherry G80-3000. Keycaps are not required. Switches are also not required. I just need the case and PCB as I will be adding my own switches and keycaps. Any condition is acceptable. Preference for less\expensive and/or used ones (I can get a new one for $80 online)

My preference would be one of the models with NKRO. I've read that part numbers for those are: G80-3494, G80-3484, or G80-3496

I'm also interested in a leeku mxalps 30XX PCB that I can install but the chances of me getting one are slim, so I'll settle for 2KRO now and make my own PCB with NKRO later.

I live in MA, USA.

Let me know here or via PM.

I might as well lit some of the KBs I have for sale as well.

The listed prices are deliberately high to encourage people to make an offer.

Terms of sale
Shipping is included in the price. Prices are in USD.
I do ship internationally. We can work something out as far as price.
More pictures are always available. Please PM me what item(s) you want photographed.

Currently available:

G80-8200HUAUS MX Brown $100 or offer
I received this used. It is in excellent condition. There is no discernible shine on the keycaps. There are some small scuffmarks on the bottom from moving it around.

G80-8113HUAUS MX Brown $125 or offer
I purchased this new in box. It has been used for about a week, almost always with a different set of keycaps on it. Other than the relegentable labels, I can't find any signs of use. There is no shine whatsoever on the keycaps. It will be shipped double boxed.

Cherry MX "ricercar" SPOS MX Brown $140 or offer
G86-62410EUAGSA
G80-62410EUAGSA
This was purchased used. I have used it for about a month at work. It has cherry lasered POM keycaps but they have not been engraved and infilled like usual and are completely smooth. This has my favourite cherry keycaps. This KB was most likely manufactured for a company who ordered some G86 KBs and bears the hallmarks of being a limited production. Mine is S/N: 281
With the exception of two (mine being one) these have not been available for the last several years.

cross post from GH
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39336.new#new
Last edited by dorkvader on 01 Apr 2015, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.
dorkvader

Unread post18 Mar 2015, 20:46

X
dorkvader

Main keyboard: Unicomp
Main mouse: CST 1550
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring over Capacitave. (Model F)
DT Pro Member: -

Umm, I'm going to beg to differ on your estimate of the availability of the G86-62410. I've had shots at plenty of them, starting at a whopping $20 shipped. I let it sit too long, and the seller re-listed it at $24. Fortunately, I came across a G86-61400 for $40 instead. I like the extra row of keys.

I even managed to pick up a G86-63401 (the matrix keyboard with entirely relegendable keys and a trackpad) for $40. This one didn't include shipping, so it cost me $53 in total. The seller had "in excess of 10 available", exact quantity not stated.

I don't like the feeling of typing on relegendable keys for the main matrix, so I have transplanted the keys from the G86-61400 onto it. This means I have a 61400 covered entirely in relegendables (except for the mods and NumLock) that I'll probably offer up for sale at some point soon.

I'm not here to hijack your thread, but I wanted to point out that the G86 line is anything but rare.
Mal-2

Unread post18 Mar 2015, 22:33

X
Mal-2

Main keyboard: Cherry G86-61400
Main mouse: Generic 6-button "gaming mouse"
Favorite switch: Probably buckling spring, but love them Blues too

Mal-2 wrote:
I'm not here to hijack your thread, but I wanted to point out that the G86 line is anything but rare.

The cherry mx G86 is rare though. And that's the one he's selling. :)
guk
1896 Vintage Reds

Unread post18 Mar 2015, 22:49

X
guk
1896 Vintage Reds

Main keyboard: SSK,Novatouch
Main mouse: Steelseries Sensei
Favorite switch: BS

This particular G86 is rare, it uses Cherry MX switches instead of rubber domes. It can be identified by the model n° MX SPOS.
Nuum

Unread post18 Mar 2015, 22:50

X
Nuum

Main keyboard: FaceU 60% (60g Clears), Phantom (Nixdorf Blacks)
Main mouse: Steelseries Kana V2/Logitech G9
Favorite switch: 60g MX Clears/Brown Alps/Buckling spring
DT Pro Member: 0084

Nuum wrote:This particular G86 is rare, it uses Cherry MX switches instead of rubber domes. It can be identified by the model n° MX SPOS.

guk wrote:The cherry mx G86 is rare though. And that's the one he's selling. :)

Understood, and sorry for the confusion. It sounds like they should have been marketed as G80 rather than G86, despite using layouts unique to the G86 SPOS boards (I mean, I think a model G80-62410 would have been pretty self-explanatory). I take it they use the same relegendable keys as the G80 boards?
Mal-2

Unread post19 Mar 2015, 16:51

X
Mal-2

Jup, they were a custom order of a company, that's why the model number is so odd.
Nuum

Unread post19 Mar 2015, 18:30

X
Nuum

Main keyboard: FaceU 60% (60g Clears), Phantom (Nixdorf Blacks)
Main mouse: Steelseries Kana V2/Logitech G9
Favorite switch: 60g MX Clears/Brown Alps/Buckling spring
DT Pro Member: 0084

FaceU 60%

Too many switches, too little time (and money).
Mal-2 wrote:
Nuum wrote:This particular G86 is rare, it uses Cherry MX switches instead of rubber domes. It can be identified by the model n° MX SPOS.

guk wrote:The cherry mx G86 is rare though. And that's the one he's selling. :)

Understood, and sorry for the confusion. It sounds like they should have been marketed as G80 rather than G86, despite using layouts unique to the G86 SPOS boards (I mean, I think a model G80-62410 would have been pretty self-explanatory). I take it they use the same relegendable keys as the G80 boards?

This board has always been an odd duck. The date and model number appear to be that of a very early G86 board, but the article number is for a G80, and it features MX switches and keycaps not commonly found on a cherry board (most cherry POM is infilled, this is just lasered)

Internally it goes together in a very odd manner and bears some hallmarks of a rushed production. I always assumed it was made to fill an order for a company before the G86's were ready yet. IIRC the cherry Rep, Robin hadn't heard of them at all.

This isn't the place for an in-depth discussion on the internals of this KB, but if anyone is interested I'll be happy to upload my photo album of it to my flickr.

Anyway: prices lowered. Please offer.

more importantly sell me a g80-3000 ! they can't be that rare!!
dorkvader

Unread post21 Mar 2015, 05:45

X
dorkvader

It's a shame I can't afford the G86-62410. That format with MX switches would be a perfect keyboard for me. I could if I hadn't bought two ordinary G86 boards already, but then I wouldn't know how much (or exactly why) I like the format.

Also, if it would be in any way helpful, I'd be happy to provide images of the labels on the backs of my conventional rubber dome G86 boards. One of them (the matrix one I'm typing on right now) is probably a relatively recent production, but the other (corresponding closely to your 62410 but with an extra row) had a fair bit of use before it got to me.

Also you seem to be of the belief that ordinary G86 keys are lasered and infilled, but the ones in front of me don't seem to agree. The legends are absolutely flush with the surface and even have the same bumpy texture. I thought they were double-shots until I pulled one and flipped it over. If they're infilled, they're the best damn infill I've ever seen. That's why I believe they're pad printed, but in a particularly elegant (so thin it's undetectable) and durable (because these keys show no signs of wear) way. They are almost certainly POM as you would expect. They look the part, they feel slightly oily, have the familiar resistance to being worked with a knife (I have worked with Delrin as a quite suitable material for making musical instrument parts), and (unfortunately) are slightly brittle. When removing the second rotation locks (since each row on the 61400 is keyed differently for reasons I can't fathom), two of the keys suffered cracked mounts, and one of those two actually lost a chunk of its stem. Also, the print on the keys with smaller point sizes is slightly fuzzy. If it weren't for the fact that they're white print on black keys, I'd say they look dye sublimated. If it were possible to dye sub white onto black keys, this is exactly what I'd expect it to look like.
Mal-2

Unread post21 Mar 2015, 17:16

X
Mal-2

Oh the extra row is available on this KB but is blocked by a strip of plastic across the top. Unfortunately there are only a few usable scancodes output, and some are the same for multiple switches.

If you can't afford the price, please feel free to make an offer. I would much rather this KB go to someone who will use it than to someone who will put it in a box in a collection. The keycaps are particularly nice.

The reason I believe they are lasered is that a laser can (in some polymers) produce a raised legend. The rest appears consistent with that, but I am unfortunately only well versed in injection molded, engraved, and dyesub legending techniques.

I'm surprised your POM is brittle. POM is one of the toughest polymers there is. It almost always deforms instead of cracking, and it takes quite a lot of energy to deform it to failure (this is how toughness is measured in a technical sense: not the ultimate stress, but the area under the stress-strain curve. Hard plastics like PC usually have low toughness)

I think we should both share our info on these G86 boards in another topic, while I enjoy discussing it here, I think many other people will miss out on the useful info. Perhaps this will first start out by making more wiki topics.
dorkvader

Unread post22 Mar 2015, 04:09

X
dorkvader

dorkvader wrote:Oh the extra row is available on this KB but is blocked by a strip of plastic across the top. Unfortunately there are only a few usable scancodes output, and some are the same for multiple switches.

Chances are the controller isn't set up to allow those spaces to be programmed then. I'm somewhat surprised, I can't really see why they'd use a less capable controller for the 62410 than for the 61400, rather than just leaving one matrix line unused.
dorkvader wrote:If you can't afford the price, please feel free to make an offer. I would much rather this KB go to someone who will use it than to someone who will put it in a box in a collection. The keycaps are particularly nice.

Get what it's worth. I have my doubts it'll end up on a shelf. The form factor of the 62410 is just too damn nice not to put into service, whether MX switches or rubber dome. It's as narrow as any TKL, without actually having to be one. I rather wish Cherry hadn't stolen the 0.5U off the left and displaced the `~ key, but that's about my only gripe.

I'm not even close to having the money to buy your 62410, even though I would very much like to. If I hadn't bought either of the rubber dome G86 boards, I'd just barely have enough, so I'm way short. Don't worry, I'm not exactly suffering - the rubber dome 63401 is pretty nice itself, once it got a set of real keys.
dorkvader wrote:I'm surprised your POM is brittle. POM is one of the toughest polymers there is. It almost always deforms instead of cracking, and it takes quite a lot of energy to deform it to failure.

I think it's just the fact that I was using wire cutters to cut a perpendicular "key" section that is ¹⁄₃₂" thick, from a cylinder that is itself ¹⁄₃₂" thick, and not being particularly gentle about it. If I'd nipped at it bit by bit, I bet none of them would have had problems, but I would have had a lot more cleanup to do with the pen knife.
dorkvader wrote:I think we should both share our info on these G86 boards in another topic, while I enjoy discussing it here, I think many other people will miss out on the useful info. Perhaps this will first start out by making more wiki topics.

I fully respect that this is somewhat (but not completely) off topic. If you want to move it over to the thread I've already started about G86 boards (at least the ones I've used), that's over here.
Last bumped by dorkvader on 01 Apr 2015, 20:07.
Mal-2

Unread post01 Apr 2015, 20:07

X
Mal-2