[W̶T̶T̶] IBM 3278 x2

Hi all,

A few of you may remember that I found and sold some 3278's on here a few months ago. Since then I have obtained a few more and want to put them up for trade.

Photo Album and Timestamp

Notes (PLEASE READ BEFORE MAKING AN OFFER)
  • One of these boards of course has APL legends which makes it very rare (only around 4 or 5 are confirmed to be currently out there including this one), so ideally I would like something that is comparably rare for that one. This one is no longer available!
  • Given potential differences in value between the items offered for trade by each party, I am willing to accept cash as part of the trade on either side to account for these differences.
  • I have taken the top case off of each board to inspect the edges of the metal plates for structurally compromising rust, and have found no issues. I will not be doing full teardowns as each switch should almost certainly work properly if the PCB is clean, this is the case for the current 3278 I am typing on which was among the worst condition units I had in terms of rust. However each of these units are pretty dirty and should be cleaned before conversion, and most likely thoroughly restored (switches and plates derusted as well as inner foam replaced). I am selling/trading these AS IS, and will not be liable for any issues you have with one exception (see below)
  • The APL 3278 has one switch which doesn't click, the tab key. Most likely the fly plate underneath the switch has just been dislodged which was the case with one of the 3278's I sold previously. I can do a more thorough teardown if requested to know for sure, but I would rather leave the board as untouched as possible. If the switch turns out to be broken, buy a replacement unit from orihalcon and I will reimburse you for the cost of the extra switches. Switch isn't broken, see teardown photos in a later post.
  • I am certain that I can sell even the regular 3278's for at least as much as the ones I sold previously, so please do not try to lowball me on your offers. However I personally hope it doesn't come to that, as I am much more interested in taking the opportunity to expand my collection with boards I don't have this time around.
  • I will offer worldwide shipping but strongly prefer to keep things within the continental US due to very high shipping costs. For residents of Southern California I will offer local pickup.

Wants (From most to least)
Model F104 "Unsaver"
IBM Selectric I w/ "Accent Blue" keycaps (either full typewriter or just caps)
Model F62 4704 "Kishsaver"
Other beamsprings (Besides 3278 and 5251)
Model F122
SKCM Alps boards (vintage or custom, TKL or fullsize preferred)
SMK Monterrey boards (vintage or custom, TKL or fullsize preferred)

Asking for full boards only, not looking for keycap sets (other than the blue selectric caps) or loose switches this time.

Thanks!
Last edited by Bass on 18 Jun 2018, 03:55, edited 2 times in total.
Bass

Unread post12 Jun 2018, 22:03

X
Bass

Main keyboard: IBM Model F104 "Unsaver"
Main mouse: Logitech G9x
Favorite switch: Beamspring / Capacitive Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0206

if you happen upon one of the 3278's without the numpad please do let me know :D My 3101 doesn't get as much use as I'd like it to because of its width (and height).
pr0ximity

Unread post13 Jun 2018, 12:16

X
pr0ximity

Main keyboard: OTD 356 Mini V1
Main mouse: Mionix Avior 7000
Favorite switch: Beamspring
DT Pro Member: 0173

Unfortunately I do not have one of the smaller 3278's and I am pretty sure I didn't see any in the place I got them from either, which surprised me actually. The majority of 3278's I have seen on here seem to be the 75 key variety. Just in case though feel free to ping me if you are fine with trading for the full size as I have yet to finalize any offers as of now. It will probably take me at least a few days before I come to a decision.
Bass

Unread post13 Jun 2018, 17:17

X
Bass

Hi all,

At someone's request, I have opened up and done a more thorough teardown of one of the regular 3278's. As it turns out, there is pretty much no rust on the metal plates or stems. Here are some pictures on Dropbox since imgur seems to refuse to upload my images. Sorry for potato quality on some:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dyq35g11z9fk...I7tha?dl=0

Still open to any new offers, this particular unit is in better condition than I expected (most of the ones I had previously had a bit of rust).

I am willing to do the same for the others if requested although I am not expecting the other regular 3278 to be quite as good, at the very least it's definitely quite a bit dirtier.
Bass

Unread post15 Jun 2018, 03:24

X
Bass

The APL 3278 is now currently spoken for! Won't say the exact details of the trade just yet, but I was overall very happy with it. Got some very interesting board(s) out of it for sure!

However I have not decided on any offers for the remaining 2 3278's just yet as I am still waiting for responses from some people. For the sake of full transparency to everyone else who might be interested or currently has an offer pending with me, I should note that one of the conditions for the APL trade was that I swap out the caps unique to the APL board (alphas, numbers, backspace, and PF keys) with the other 3278 I posted detailed pictures of earlier that was shown to be in excellent shape. Because of this I have done another teardown of the original APL 3278 to check the condition internally. The photo album is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4mxa7ryz3y9...5aI6a?dl=0

To summarize, this board is also in excellent condition internally with no noticeable rust on the plates. Nevertheless, it is inferior to the other 3278 I pictured in a few respects:

• It lacks the manual on the bottom and the information booklet in the door
  • The external case is in noticeably worse shape, with some paint chipped off in the very front. If aesthetics are very important to you, then I would get this case powdercoated.
  • A few of the stems and springs do have rust on them. I noticed that the contamination shield was already ripped underneath when removing the caps above these switches, so I suspect these stems were more exposed to the elements than the rest. Not a big deal as this type of rust is relatively easy to remove.
  • Two stems are noticeably bent. This is also fairly easy to fix.

The "non-working" switch I discovered earlier was most likely just a loose switch, as after reassembling everything it now clicks as it should.
Bass

Unread post16 Jun 2018, 19:03

X
Bass

Trades for all three are currently being finalized, thanks for looking. If I manage to get more, I will most likely put them up for sale or trade here first so please don't be too disappointed if you missed out this time.
Bass

Unread post18 Jun 2018, 04:24

X
Bass