Alps SKCM White
|Family||Alps SKCL/SKCM series|
|Precedes||Alps SKBM White|
|Supersedes||Alps SKCM Blue|
|Sense method||Metal leaf|
|Actuation force||70 gf|
|Keycap mount||Alps mount|
|Switch mount||Plate mount|
Alps SKCM White, or complicated White Alps, is a clicky switch in the Alps SKCL/SKCM series.
Complicated White Alps is thought to be the most common Alps switch found; it was widely used in Far East-made keyboards in the late 80s and early 90s. The 1994 Alps catalogue refers to it as SKCMAQ; an un-dated Alps datasheet describes a switch that appears to be identical except for lacking slits, which is given part number SKCMCQ. It is possible that the change from 'A' to 'C' indicates the redesigned switch with the slits removed, as the same datasheet depicts SKCLAR with the 'A' in the part number, and with slits.
The majority of complicated White Alps switches are branded "ALPS", but the earliest examples are reported to be unbranded. In most cases, they use the same mould numbering as other common generation Alps SKCL/SKCM switches, but in some cases, a simplified form of mould numbering has been found, with what often resembles hand-carved numbers, and a slightly distorted Alps logo. However, these do appear to be genuine Alps switches. Interestingly, these varieties of switches do not follow the standard practice of having the switchplate at the rear of the switch; in the same keyboard, the switches can be found with the branding and numbering both ways up.
White Alps is typically found to be less favourable than its predecessor, Alps SKCM Blue, with blue widely held to have a better feel; although feel is both subjective and dependent on switch condition, the consensus of opinion across recent years all points in favour of blue Alps being superior in feel and even sound, with a lighter tactile force and smoother action. The transition from blue to White Alps is the best-known example of the evolution of the SKCL/SKCM series. Curiously, it appears that the very first White Alps switches retained the dry lubricant and return spring material of blue Alps, indicating that the Blue-to-White transition was not a clean break but itself a series of transitions; here, the older dry-lubricated version is held to be superior.
Known variants include:
|Switchplate Color||Switchplate Length||Alps Logo||Generation|
|White||Long||No Logo||Pine (with slits)|
|White||Short||No Logo||Pine (with slits)|
|White||Short||Logo||Pine (with slits)|
|White||Short||Logo||Bamboo (without slits)|
- Some Acer 6010 series
- Some Acer KB-084AS
- Some Acer KB-101A
- Aquarius CSK-2101 & CSK-2102
- Canon A220-UKB84
- Canon A290-PSK
- Canon CE-KB08
- Some Chicony KB-5161 & KB-5162
- Some Chicony KB-5181
- Some Chicony KB-9600
- Costar CSJ-2106
- Some Costar CSK-7102N
- Dan 102 Key UK keyboard
- Some Datacomp DFK-102
- Datacomp DFK-191 & DFK-192
- Some Datacomp DFK-2020
- Datacomp DSK-119
- Datacomp MTX-124
- Datadesk Switchboard
- DSI Modular Pro
- DTK SPK-101
- Some Focus FK-2000 Plus
- Some Focus FK-2001 & FK-2002
- Some Focus FK-3001 & FK-3002
- Focus FK-5001
- Some Focus FK-6000
- Some Focus FK-7000P
- Some Focus FK-9000
- Some Forward Electronics FDA-102(A)
- Fuji Xerox XJ-T99
- Great Wall KBD5-B
- Some Jameco JE2016
- Jing Mold Electronic Technology JKB-6151M
- Some Kinesis Evolution
- Some Leading Edge AK-1012
- Some Leading Edge DC-2214
- Lite-On SK-0002
- Mitac KB-5202
- Some Monterey K101
- Some Monterey K104
- Some Monterey K108
- Monterey MK-9500
- Most Northgate OmniKey
- Some NTC KB-6151
- Some NTC KB-6251 & 6252
- NTC KB-6551EA
- NTC KB-6851
- Olivetti ANK26-105J
- Ortek MKB-84 SX
- Some Ortek / OEMMAX MCK-101 & MCK-101SX
- Some Ortek / OEMMAX MCK-101 (curved)
- Ortek MCK-142 Pro
- Some Ortek / OEMMAX MCK-860
- Ortek Mac-105 / ETC Power Glide 105
- Ortek Portable Keyboard 102 (ポータブルキーボード)
- Pace VG-101
- Some Philips PM 3655
- Reveal KB-7061
- S.A.M. SK-102-2N
- Some SIIG Suntouch K101
- Some SIIG Suntouch Jr (FCCID: GM8CK-84KBPAD)
- Susteen KB-9600
- Some Toshiba PA5101E
- Some Tulip ATK 030244
- Tulip ATK 030253
- Some Unitek K-258
- Some Wang 725-7951
White Alps has seen by far the greatest number of variations across any Alps switch, often contradictory. The implication appears to be that Alps had several switch factories that were not altering or replacing their tooling in the same manner. One indicator of this this is the crossover between the removal of slits, and the introduction of the current Alps logo (bold face) in place of the previous logo (medium face).
"Scrawly" switches have hand-carved mould numbering. These switches were presumably sourced from a contract manufacturer such as Forward Electronics, either as overflow capacity or for cost reduction. Internally, they are the same as regular Alps switches. The bamboo version has the slits filled in.
- 5454_31 (SKCLAR and SKCMCQ)
- Deskthority — Alps Appreciation
- YouTube — Aquarius CSK-2101 Keyboard Typing Video
- Deskthority — Aquarius CSK-2102 - White ALPS
- Biglobe — ALPS key switch Updated 2014-03-02.
- YouTube — Chicony KB-5162F REDUX (Alps SKCM White) Uploaded 2017-08-19.
- Atelier Silencium — alps keyswitch (Japanese only) Dated 2014-03-02. Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- Imgur — Dan 102 UK White Alps Uploaded 2022-06-05.
- Imgur — Datacomp DSK-119 (Alps SKCM Pine White) Uploaded 2023-03-03.
- Sandy — DTK Grafika
- klei's Backspace — DTK SPK-101 (Korean only) Dated 2005-07-13. Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- Deskthority — Focus FK-3002 (ISO version) discovered Posted 2017-05-29.
- Telecontrar — Keyboard list
- Deskthority — Jing Mold Electronic Technology JKB-6151 - Clicky White Alps Posted 2014-05-31.
- Reddit — Here's my reversible keyboard/keyboard, sorry for my non existing piano skills... Monterey MK-9500 with alps white Posted 2021-02-02.
- Deskthority — Alps Appreciation Posted 2020-01-11.
- Twitter —  Posted 2020-05-10.
- Reddit — Recent find for 5$.It’s an ortek technology MCK101SX with white alps switches.My first mechanical keyboard,pretty happy about it. Posted 2017-12-15.
- Deskthority — Ortek MCK-142Pro(Alps), Alcatel MFII(Acers), Chicony KB-5582
- Deskthority — Ergonomic or Split Alps Keyboards Posted 2013-02-07.
- Deskthority — S.A.M. SK-102-2N
- YouTube — Suntouch SIIG k101 keyboard with pine white alps sound test Uploaded 2021-02-20.
- Imgur — Suntouch Jr. (Real Alps?) Posted 2014-06-27.
- Deskthority — Toshiba-branded Alps Bigfoot keyboard with red + clicky Alps switches Posted 2018-12-07.
- Imgur — Tulip ATK 03 02 53 - Alps SKCM Pine White Uploaded 2022-07-19.
- Imgur — Twin Genovation pads from 92 with Pine Alps SKCM Whites Uploaded 2018-04-26.
- Imgur —  Uploaded 2022-12-06.