Clare/Pendar low profile reed
|This article requires photographic illustration|
|Manufacturer||Clare Belgium, Pendar France, CEDI, ESM|
|Switch type||Linear; momentary, alternate action; illuminated; SPST|
1M (alternate action)
|Bounce time||1 ms|
|Total travel||4 mm|
|Keycap mount||Clare-Pendar mount|
|Switch mount||Plate mount|
The Clare/Pendar low profile reed series comprises the short reed keyboard switches from Clare and Pendar in Europe. The North American counterpart is Clare-Pendar Series S880. In the ordering information section of EFL's catalogue, the term "SFL Series" is also used to cover the whole series, but this is ambiguous at best.
The low-profile reed switches share the same PCB and plate dimensions as Clare/Pendar high profile reed. Illumination can be provided using either an LED or an incandescent bulb. The keystem angle for stepped switches is 11°.
The product range was divided into three sub-series:
- Alternate action
- Momentary illuminated
These families were branded either Clare or as Pendar (the latter being made in France, as shown in the ESM catalogue). No explanation exists for why both companies were making the parts separately.
Perhaps due to the reduced size of the switch, the feature set of low-profile reed is smaller than that of Clare/Pendar high profile reed. In particular, DPST is not supported (the part number field for the second pair of contacts is always zero) and alternate action and and illumination are not supported at the same time.
Part numbers follow the format:
- Switch sub-series; F = momentary, G = latching, I = momentary illuminated
- Extra character to denote low-profile
- Terminals and keystem
- 1 = Sloped (upright keystem); 5 mm terminals
- 3 = Stepped (angled keystem); 5 mm terminals
- 5 = Sloped; 3.5 mm terminals
- 6 = Stepped; 3.5 mm terminals
- Contacts; 0 = No contacts, 1 = 1 form A (SPST NO), 5 = 1 form A with diode
- Low-profile reed is SPST only, so this position is always zero
- Operating force (weight); 0 = Fixed slider, 1 = 50 gf, 2 = 80 gf
None found to date.