HHKB Professional JP Type-S
|This article requires photographic illustration|
|Part number||PA50951-1454 (Model: PD-KB420WS)|
|Layouts||69 (Modified JP JIS)|
|Years of production||2011 - current|
Happy Hacking Keyboard (HHKB) Professional JP Type-S is Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional with modified JIS layout along with silencing.
The Happy Hacking Keyboard (short for HHKB) Professional JP Type-S was introduced along with Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional Type-S range on June 15, 2011. At the time of the introduction there was no charcoal grey/black version of the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP Type-S - only the white version was available.
The Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP Type-S is essentially Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP with silencing fitted by manufacturer. No other noticeable changes were made apart from the keyboard featuring:
- logos of "Type-S" along with "HHKB Professional JP" on the keyboard
- silencing that is fitted on the slider
- modified JIS layout that was carried over from Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP, along with the usual trait of the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional series such as the lack of USB hub which was found only on Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 or Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional HG.
Whilst all the keycaps on the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP Type-S are all PBT plastic, the keyboard case itself is noted by the manufacturer as ABS. Along with the information written on the manufacturer's website, the same information about the use of ABS is also printed clearly on the inside of the keyboard case.
DIP switch configuration
The following information is available on PFU website as well as the sticker on the underside of the keyboard. Please note:
- This information only applies to Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP and Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP Type-S.
- Before adjusting the switches, make sure the keyboard is unplugged from any power source.
- Adjust DIP switches with a sharp object of about 1.2 mm (millimetre) thick, such as a ballpoint pen.
- [◇] key is equivalent to Win key under Windows when the keyboard is set to Windows mode. Likewise, the [◇] key is Command key under Macintosh when the keyboard is set to Macintosh mode.
- Macintosh mode requires additional drivers to take advantage of media keys, namely volume up, volume down, eject, mute and power.
|DIP Switch||Key||Functionality when DIP switch is set to OFF||Functionality when DIP switch is set to ON|
|Switch 1||---||Windows mode||Macintosh mode|
|Switch 5||(left) [◇]
|Switch 6||---||Normal mode||Power save mode|
For more information, refer to Realforce manufacturing dates.
On Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional JP Type-S the labels are located on three different places:
- On the back of the main PCB.
- On the front of the controller PCB.
- On the insides of the case on the same side as where one unscrews to open the keyboard.
- PFU website - Press release: HHKB Professional Type-S (Japanese only)
- PFU website - Before purchasing HHKB keyboard (Japanese only)
- PFU website - Descriptions of switches on rear (Japanese only)