Kailh PG1511 series
|This article requires additional photographic illustration — all variants + internals|
|Switch type||Clicky; tactile; linear|
|Sense method||Metal leaf|
|Rated lifetime||50–70 M|
|Pretravel||2.0±0.6, 1.4±0.3, 1.1±0.3 mm|
|Total travel||4.0±0.6, 3.5±0.3 mm|
|Keycap mount||Cherry MX mount|
|Switch mount||Plate mount, PCB mount|
PG1511 series switches are made by Kailh in China, and are branded "Kailh" or labelled "PG1511" (one or the other). They are available in clicky, linear and tactile versions, with support for both through-hole and SMD RGB LEDs.
Kaihua have published detailed comparisons between their switches and Cherry MX switches on their website; the photos at least are taken from a review posted at mouse.zol.com.cn.
Like with most Cherry MX clones, the internals of PG1511 series are virtually identical to genuine Cherry switches. One key difference is that PG1511 series switches do not have gold crosspoint contacts.
Bounce time for the SMD types is cited as 5 ms or less, at a keystroke rate of 3–5 keystrokes per second.
Lifetime was originally cited as 50 million keystrokes. The through-hole LED types are cited as having lifetimes of 60 million for the click type and 70 million for the linear and tactile types. The SMD LED version has a lifetime of 70 million keystrokes across all versions.
PG1511 series adopted the use of all four of Cherry's base holes (inner holes for monochrome LED, outer holes for jumper or diode) for a single four-leg "DIP" through-hole RGB LED. Kailh cite the benefits of this arrangement as being:
- Better illumination by bringing the LED closer to the keycap
- Greater light output from a through-hole LED than an SMD LED
- Lower heat output from through-hole LED versus SMD LED
- Lower LED power requirements
PG1511 has also been adapted to accept SMD illumination. These versions have clear covers, and two wide holes for LED legs, to accept two- and four-leg through-hole LEDs as well as allow space to place an SMD LED under the switch. These are depicted on the PG1511 SMD page, although the diagrams still show the classic design. The pages for the reduced-travel versions do have diagrams for the new design.
Most PG1511 series switches use a click collar to achieve audible feedback, derived from the Cherry MX design. The new bronze type (PG151101D188) uses a "click bar", a rod spring pushed aside by the slider in a manner similar to a click leaf. The click bar design was first seen in the diminutive PG1350 series, and provides a distinct click on both press and release; the click bar does however remove the hysteresis from the switch.
Standard switch travel is the standard 4 mm with 2 mm pretravel; this is still the case for the SMD types. Four additional designs have a reduced travel of 3.5 mm:
- A gold clicky type the 1.4 mm pretravel
- Bronze (clicky), copper (tactile) and silver (linear) types with 1.1 mm pretravel
Note that these colour names were taken from an AliExpress listing, as they are more convenient than Kailh's names. Kailh use "coppery" for the tactile switch, "golden" for the 1.4 mm clicky switch, and "thick golden" for the 1.1 mm clicky switch. The silver switch's slider has metallic pigment as with Cherry MX Speed Silver, while the other sliders are matte.
The Kailh Yellow was the first variant, which appeared around 2007. The characteristics of Kailh Yellow and Kailh Red are the same. Kailh Yellow is no longer sold. Since then, a number of different varieties have emerged, and it's not clear what exactly is on sale.
|Part no.||Colour||Type||Actuation||Travel||Pretravel||Click mechanism||Illumination||Fixing pins|
|PG151101D02||Yellow||Linear||50 gf||4 mm||2 mm||None||Monochrome||No|
All switches assumed to be "Kailh" branded unless specified otherwise.
- Armageddon Strike Eagle MKI-3 (red)
- Genius M1 (red, linear)
- Genius Quake 87:
- Newmen GM-10 (blue, linear)
- Nixeus MODA (brown, tactile)
- QPAD MK-10 (brown)
- Rapoo KX (yellow, "PG1511" and "Kailh")
- Rapoo V7 (yellow, "PG1511")
- Rapoo V500 (yellow)
- Rosewill RGB80 (blue)
- Tesoro Lobera Supreme (brown)
- Tesoro Tizona (red, brown, blue, black)
- Some Tt eSPORTS Poseidon Z Illuminated (blue)
- ViewSonic V1 (red)
- Xenics Scorpius M10TFL (red, brown, blue)
- Zalman ZM-K500 (red)
- Genius Quake 104
- Keycool KC87
- Shogun Bros Cross Blade ("Mixed Stroke" version)
"PG1511" switches in the Rapoo V7
- Kailh — 红轴将被取代 Kailh黄轴大战Cherry轴 (Chinese only) — Detailed disassembly shots of PG1511 vs Cherry MX. Dated 2011-11-10. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- Kailh — PG1511 帖片轴
- Kailh — Kaihua keyboard switches
- Kailh — PG151101D91 RGB轴
- PG151101D191 金轴
- Kaihua Kailh click bar switches.
- PG151101D188 厚金轴
- PG151101D189 银轴
- PG151101D190 铜轴
- Deskthority — 日本語 (page 2)
- Geekhack — Cheapest Mechanical Keyboard EVER? Posted 2012-10-30. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- AliExpress — Buy Genius Mechanical Keyboard … 87 Keys Black Switch …[Volatile reference] Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- AliExpress — Buy Genius Mechanical Keyboard … 87 Keys Cyan Shaft …[Volatile reference] Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- PCOnline — 蓝轴也疯狂!冰点价新贵GM-10机械键盘评测 (Chinese only) Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- Newegg — Nixeus MODA Mechanical Keyboard (Brown Soft Tactile Switch) MK-BN14 Keyboard Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- PChome — 无与伦比 QPAD MK-10机械键盘首测 (Chinese only) Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- TweakTown — Rosewill RGB80 Mechanical 16.8m Color Backlit Gaming Keyboard Review Dated 2014-07-09. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- MechKB Blog — Cherry MX RGB and Tesoro Lobera Dated 2013-12-05. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- Tesoro — Tizona product page Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- Tt eSPORTS — POSEIDON Z Illuminated – Blue Switch Edition Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- AliExpress — Buy Free Shipping Gaming Keyboard Fairy Genius k9 …[Volatile reference] Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- Coolenjoy — 제닉스 SCORPIUS M10TFL 내부 (추가 스위치) (Korean only) Dated 2014-02-06. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- ちゃたりたいね — ZALMAN ZM-K500 Kailh赤軸 (Japanese only) Dated 2012-10-29. Retrieved 2015-07-28.