|This article requires additional photographic illustration — clear, plus a family photo of clear and purple together|
|Family||Gateron KS-3 series|
|Switch type||Tactile; linear|
|Sense method||Metal leaf|
|Rated lifetime||50 M|
|Keycap mount||Cherry MX mount|
|Switch mount||PCB mount, PCB mount|
The Zealio switch series are boutique key switches produced for Zeal PC. They are clones of Cherry MX switches produced by Gateron. It includes tactile variants akin to Cherry MX Ergo Clear, and a linear switch similar to the Cherry MX Black.
The switches are manufactured exclusively for Zeal PC by Gateron, based on their KS-3 series. Unlike Gateron's regular switches, switches have been available with fully transparent housings, and the springs are gold-plated. The transparency is supposed to help with backlighting and the gold-plating makes the springs resistant to corrosion which supposedly reduces friction when the keys are pressed.
The top housing still carries the Gateron logo. The bottom mould and the tactile purple slider were custom made for Zeal PC.
There have been reports of the clear bottom melting more easily from the heat of a soldering iron than other switches. Zeal PC therefore now offers the purple switch also in a 65g variant with a milky bottom like regular Gaterons.
Purple Zealios modified with heavier springs for use in the space bar or enter positions are called Deep Purples.
- Round 1: Introduced 62g, 65g, and 67g Linear (translucent stem) and Tactile (purple stem) switches
- Round 2: Introduced 78g variants, began using different shades of purple for different weights (lighter to darker as they get heavier), introduced 65g switches with milky-white bottoms (plate mount only) that are more heat resistant
- Round 3: No additions, but Linear Zealios no longer offered from this round on
- Round 4: 78g changed to make the force curve more uniform, stem mould tweaked to reduce wobble significantly
- Round 7: Tealio linears introduced in 67g, no changes to Zealio switches
- Round 8: 67g Zealio spring tweaked for "crisper" bump with more cushion at bottom-out, 78g Zealio spring tweaked to be more similar to 67g variant, with snappier bump compared to previous 78g Zealios
At some point during or prior to Round 8, 65g milky-bottom Zealios began being offered in PCB mount as well as plate mount.
- On Sep 21, 2018, Version 2 were introduced for preorder. The tactile switches' stems had been modified with a bigger tactile bump than previous Zealios and Zilents. Healios (linear dampened) was introduced. Tealios also started to get the same housing as other V2 switches. All with transparent housings for PCB-mount.
Switches have become available in batches for pre-order. The first group-order run was started in August 2015. It is now (as of Dec 2017) on its eighth run. There have been eight rounds of Zealios, with the switches currently being in Round 8.
- Zeal PC's web site.
- Group orders on Geekhack.
- Group orders on Massdrop. For instance, they have been available as an option for the WhiteFox keyboard
- Keychatter.com: REVIEW: Project Zealio switches Posted on 2015-08-19. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- Geekhack.org—[Healios, Zealios V2, Zilents V2, Rev4 Zeal60 (Black & Gold), etc. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97443]. Dated 2018-10-26. Retrieved 2018-11-02
- Geekhack – GB: PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete). Dated 2015-08-25. Retrieved 2016-11-08