|Type||Public limited company (Aktiengesellschaft)|
|Founder(s)||Werner von Siemens and Johann Georg Halske|
|Headquarters||Berlin and Munich, Germany|
The company initially founded as Telegraphen-Bauanstalt von Siemens & Halske acquired its current name when it merged with other Siemens companies in 1966. It is the largest engineering company in Europe; it owns or has shares in several hundred companies worldwide.
Siemens produced their first electromechanical QWERTY keyboards in 1912, which operated electric perforators (tape punchs) for 5-bit telerprinter paper-tape. The Siemens core company stopped making mechanical keyboards and key switches when they spun off or outsourced these businesses in the 1990s, so mechanical keyboards manufactured by Siemens are vintage. (Hence the historical SIEMENS logo is shown in the infobox, not the current one introduced at that time.) Occassionally, mechanical keyboards newly appear under the Siemens brand; these are OEM products made by Cherry for dedicated purposes, e.g., medical devices.
In the late 1970s, Siemens was in need of terminals, monitors and keyboards for their data division, and they embarked on a collaboration with Tandberg, who contributed the display technology, whereas Siemens developed the STB family of key switches to be used with it. After the Tandberg bankrupcy in 1978, they rescued its data division and controlled it for the next 12 years.