(Model MF) Remodeling the Model M

Also putting shelf liner material or other damping materials into the case to cut down on resonance.
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

Unread post12 Aug 2017, 18:50

X
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

Main keyboard: IBM Model F-122
Main mouse: Mionix Naos
Favorite switch: Capacitive Buckling Spring (Model F)
Club member: 0159

Techno Trousers wrote:IIRC, we have the proven floss mod, DMA's dab of silicone on the flipper, and some unproven theories about possible barrel modifications.

On the BARREL. Putting it on the flipper will make flipper heavier, changing everything. Also it will unstick pretty quickly from all that vibration and you'll have lots of silicone beads inside your keyboard :)

As for "how's everyone" - I joined the ranks of Facebook 3 weeks ago, trying to drink from bootcamp firehose. CS is proven to be repeatable on $10 off the shelf protoboards, hostside utility still misses the macro editor (firmware has online-updatable macro support, but you need to manually edit binary config files to use it :) )
DMA

Unread post13 Aug 2017, 02:28

X
DMA

Main keyboard: T420
Main mouse: Trackpoint
Favorite switch: beamspring

Ha ha, wow, I got that one wrong. I went back to the original thread, and I see where I went wrong. It's on the underside of the barrel, where the flipper will hit it on the upstroke. Here's the original thread linked for reference:

viewtopic.php?t=16550
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

Unread post13 Aug 2017, 03:28

X
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

DMA wrote: CS is proven to be repeatable on $10 off the shelf protoboards, hostside utility still misses the macro editor (firmware has online-updatable macro support, but you need to manually edit binary config files to use it :) )

I can't wait to build my Model MFs with CommonSense controllers. I could edit binary config files, but I'd prefer ASCII files.
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

Unread post13 Aug 2017, 04:25

X
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

DMA wrote:As for "how's everyone" - I joined the ranks of Facebook 3 weeks ago, trying to drink from bootcamp firehose. CS is proven to be repeatable on $10 off the shelf protoboards, hostside utility still misses the macro editor (firmware has online-updatable macro support, but you need to manually edit binary config files to use it :) )

I remember you mentioning interviewing places, congrats on the new position!

Great to hear that CS is so well developed. On resumption of the GB, it sounds like the turn around for production of CS would be minimal. Fantastic news.
Techno Trousers wrote:IIRC, we have the proven floss mod, DMA's dab of silicone on the flipper, and some unproven theories about possible barrel modifications.

I know the floss mod, have been using it for a while now. Until the MF goes through, I'll have a go at the silicon mod on my M, though it might be a bit too much on those short flippers. I'll also get some felt to stuff the case, and maybe something for the barrel plate, we'll see. It'll be interesting to see just how damped we can get it.
drevyek

Unread post13 Aug 2017, 10:08

X
drevyek

Main keyboard: Model M
Main mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v3
Favorite switch: Buckling Springs
Club member: 0179

Previous