30 May 2016, 18:59

DAMN, YES!

Or "Mother/Fucker"? :lol:

Muirium
µ

30 May 2016, 19:00

The crowd favourite, from late last page:
Muirium wrote:
Khers wrote: I kind of like the Model MF, and I don't see why FSSK and Model MF would be mutually exclusive. The FSSK and FEXT would be IBM Model Mofos. :mrgreen:
Okay, don't know about y'all muthas, but I want *this* badge for my Model MF upgraded SSK:
Literally just like that. It is sheer perfection! Whatever the name winds up being in the end, I want this badge on mine.
And yes, I am serious. A small run for the true motherlovers among us…

lot_lizard

30 May 2016, 19:05

alh84001 wrote: And it's not just semantics. M/F with F-like custom-cut metal top plate will have a different feel from the M plastic barrel frame, will it not?
Correct. I have tried both ways (the FSSK documented mod of using the M barrel frame, and the new top plate with barrels), and it is a drastically different experience. The F parts would be replica (with the exception of being able to use the originally F barrels and flipper/springs if you chose to), and the only thing remaining aspects from the M would be layout and the outer shell. There are currently no short-term plans to do anything with the case.

I viewed the use of the Model M layout and shell as enough to warrant, but maybe I am in the minority

Also... I couldn't have more respect for i$, and am not trying to take anything away from anything he has done (hopefully only add to). His designations will be proudly displayed on the assembly stickers in MASSIVE font (and I would like him to be the one that chooses those designs), along with crediting him directly. The individual models belong there though imo. This is giving the model "line" a name because I personally think it needs one. Not only for the common badge, but for reference in the future as more and more people become aware of these projects

EDIT: if/when we do decide to make an outer shell, the bottom sticker should also use i$'s designation to call out the form factor as the model number imo

alh84001
v.001

30 May 2016, 19:09

ramnes wrote: DAMN, YES!

Or "Mother/Fucker"? :lol:
:lol:
Made my day

Muirium
µ

30 May 2016, 19:12

That's the way big blue would do it.

Ray

30 May 2016, 20:39

Okay, here are a few more cents from me:
lot_lizard wrote: Here's the bit though... And what I was originally eluding to. I want to give this process we are doing of refactoring these model M's a coined term. I would like one badge to represent what we are doing, not the individual form factors of it (FSSK, FEXT, etc.). In 1+ years after this is golden, I am going to beg i$ to come out of retirement and help me "whatever this is" to my M15 as well, and don't want to have to build a FM15 badge (IBM is IBM regardless of the board... this should be the same at "product line" level).

I hate the term "can't see the forest for the trees", but it is setting in here I think. Put on your marketing caps and call this process something (assuming it is sexy, and goes on a badge). So far... "Capsense" is in the lead, but it needs to be hardened with another word (too vague I think). Maybe it is just turning "Capsense" into a past tense verb "Capsensed" (short for "Capsense Upgraded"). We want someone to be able to quickly (one/two words), say in a forum that they did "whatever this is" to their board... noting that it now fucking rocks, and they can proudly adorn their new badge to let the world know.
When I read this, I thought about "F-mod" or "F-modded".

Personally, I don't like the Model MF or Model M/F. It sounds like you wanted to coin a new expression for a new model, ran out of ideas and start to admit it isn't a new model at all, but just something in between an M and an F.
Also, for me, there's not an M left in this project, especially if you even replace the barrelframe with F barrels and a plate. M for me stands for BS over Membrane. I can see the argument it stands for the defining IBM standard layout that came with it, but that's not how I see it - so many keyboards had that layout.
(but if everybody likes the MF, I want to throw M|F in. I think it is aestetically more pleasing and I like the ambiguity a bit)

Also if someone from europe runs the IBM - Motherfucker badge, I am in, if you add an exclamation mark!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 May 2016, 20:42

Muirium wrote: And yes, I am serious. A small run for the true motherlovers among us…
Haha made my day. :maverick:

Chyros

30 May 2016, 20:53

"Which keyboard is yours?"
-"It's the one that says "IBM motherfucker."

Muirium
µ

30 May 2016, 21:12

Like buckling spring, it's a way of life…

lot_lizard

31 May 2016, 02:46

Just an FYI... The Motherfucker has been added to the list of options that will be made available on the eventual group buy (now included in the XCF file I have locally). This is assuming we can find a PCB manufacturer with someone in the approval department that is drunk enough at the time to click "Accept and Process". Maybe we place the order during 3rd shift in China and prey English is the approver's 6th strongest language

vsev

02 Jun 2016, 10:39

Muirium wrote: The crowd favourite, from late last page:
Muirium wrote:
Khers wrote: I kind of like the Model MF, and I don't see why FSSK and Model MF would be mutually exclusive. The FSSK and FEXT would be IBM Model Mofos. :mrgreen:
Okay, don't know about y'all muthas, but I want *this* badge for my Model MF upgraded SSK:
Literally just like that. It is sheer perfection! Whatever the name winds up being in the end, I want this badge on mine.
And yes, I am serious. A small run for the true motherlovers among us…
Count me in !

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

02 Jun 2016, 12:35

Wow Muirium, your badge unlurked vsev! Great success! :lol:

vsev

04 Jun 2016, 10:46

Indeed ! Life took me away from here for a while now, but not forgotten at all !

idollar
i$

05 Jun 2016, 17:50

wcass has sent me one of the badges that he ordered. I like it a lot.

Following some additional pictures (apologies, dark colors, quality and jpg/png do not go together)
DSC_6427.jpg
DSC_6427.jpg (269.52 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
DSC_6430.png
DSC_6430.png (621.05 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
DSC_6430_02.png
DSC_6430_02.png (817.97 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
You can see that the join to the main PCB shall be cut with care. I did it with a sharp knife, leaving some material in the badge. I then sanded the badge's side, with the badge perpendicular to the sandpaper and always following the contour. It takes some minutes but if done with care, the result is good. The critical moment is when the extra piece is removed with the knife.
Last edited by idollar on 05 Jun 2016, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2016, 17:55

Dashing!

lot_lizard

05 Jun 2016, 18:34

Wow... That is much better than I would have expected. I love the texture of it. Awesome job WCass

Chyros

05 Jun 2016, 20:26

That's excellent. I'm really looking forward to mine! :D

alh84001
v.001

23 Jun 2016, 11:23

Out of curiosity, would it be feasible to do a reverse? By that, I mean cover everything in HASL but leave black "IBM". Maybe even create a ghetto square label :D

micrex22

13 Aug 2016, 23:55

Will there be another run of these badges? I'd definitely be interested in some.

For reference, I took pictures of some of the original IBM badges (one on my SSK and the other on my M13). I've also compared it with the 'larger' black oval badges IBM manufactured-- you'll notice the fidelity isn't as good: these weren't made for Model Ms obviously, but for the industrial series of computers. Some PS/2s use the same size of badge too, although in a different colour (I actually have more 'plastic beveled' badges in different colours too: with a few that had blue on industrial grey, and silver on light grey, but I take everyone is only interested in the black ones).

lot_lizard

14 Aug 2016, 00:20

We will be ordering some for the Model MF phase 1 group buy (at cost)... But that is tied to the project (certainly more could be requested as part of an order). I am unaware of another planned group buy outside of that project.

Note... These don't have the same relief to the font that the originals do (like in your pics). They certainly look great, but are not the same as the originals. They have a very mild raised font, and are not nearly as pronounced.

seebart

14 Aug 2016, 00:37

lot_lizard wrote: Note... These don't have the same relief to the font that the originals do (like in your pics). They certainly look great, but are not the same as the originals. They have a very mild raised font, and are not nearly as pronounced.
That's right, the lettering is not raised like on the original and I don't know if pcbway could have done that or if wcass had an original for his measurements.

wcass

14 Aug 2016, 01:22

I don't have an original - only seen them in pictures. I measured a standard 101 M for the first badge. I don't have an SSK, so i can't be sure that what i have drawn up will fit until it is tested. The first SSK test badge came out a little too big. I've posted revised gerber files for anyone to try, but not sure if any has been ordered.

seebart

14 Aug 2016, 17:41

Once again great work wcass, thanks. Do you think it would be a problem for pcbway or another place to get the lettering raised like on the original?

chzel

14 Aug 2016, 18:04

Seebart what we see as silver in the pcbway badges is the copper layer of the PCB. Only chance of getting it more raised is to use 2oz/ 70μm copper (twice the normal). It won't make too much of a difference, but it might be worth trying.

Return to “Workshop”