Televideo PC Keyboard Pinout/Adapter

This is for the Televideo PC (vs. terminal) keyboards, Model 803, 1603, 1605, TPC-I, and TPC-II, possibly others. These keyboards use XT scan codes, but have a 6 pin modular connector and run on 12 volts (vs. 5). So a custom cable will allow them to work on an XT application once the internal 5 volt regulator is bypassed. Scan of my old writeup attached, sorry for my complete lack of artistic skills.
Attachments
TPCKBD.JPG
Polecat

Unread post06 Nov 2017, 00:05

X
Polecat

Main keyboard: Monterey K104
Main mouse: Logitech Optical
Favorite switch: Alps Blue

Thanks for posting! It seems so difficult in general to find this kind of info!
OldIsNew

Unread post06 Nov 2017, 01:14

X
OldIsNew

Club member: -

Could you post a picture of what a correctly bypassed voltage regulator looks like on the PCB? Thanks!
orihalcon

Unread post06 Nov 2017, 06:07

X
orihalcon

Main keyboard: IBM Model F107
Club member: 0190

orihalcon wrote:Could you post a picture of what a correctly bypassed voltage regulator looks like on the PCB? Thanks!

Good suggestion, see attached. Sorry about the $3 camera. This is the TPC-II version, but the others are similar. The 7805/78M05 regulator has three pins. Left to right - input, ground, output. Input is 12 volts, output is 5 volts. Cutting loose the two pins and bridging the input and output on the board allows 5 volts to pass through, giving you a 5 volt XT-compatible keyboard. You can remove the regulator completely, but it's easier to reverse this way. I'd suggest labelling the board so it doesn't accidentally get plugged into a Televideo.
Attachments
DSCN0005.JPG
Polecat

Unread post07 Nov 2017, 03:29

X
Polecat

Scan codes from the Televideo TPC-II Technical Reference Manual.
Attachments
TPCSCAN1.JPG
TPCSCAN2.JPG
Polecat

Unread post07 Nov 2017, 03:32

X
Polecat

Thanks again! Once again very helpful info!
OldIsNew

Unread post07 Nov 2017, 04:11

X
OldIsNew

OldIsNew wrote:
Thanks for posting! It seems so difficult in general to find this kind of info!

Thanks again! Once again very helpful info!

Glad to be able to share. I spent a lot of time playing with the Televideo PCs back in the day, and they were an oddball even at the time. Televideo just about owned the terminal market in the CP/M days, but when "personal computers" took over things changed. The Televideo CP/M computers (8 bit/Z80 based - 802, 803, TPC-I, etc) and their corresponding MSDOS ones (16 bit/8088 - 1603, 1605, TPC-II, etc) were well made, but never very popular.
Polecat

Unread post07 Nov 2017, 05:11

X
Polecat

Well I have a TS 804 board, bypassed the VR and have triple checked the wiring but no luck with Soarer's. HID gives output of keyboard ID 00000, PC/XT but no response at all to key presses. I added pull-up resistors and went ahead and changed the electrolytic caps on the board but no change. Interestingly the piezo buzzer does work with every key press - just no HID output. Any thoughts? - should I be using something other than Soarer's?
OldIsNew

Unread post13 Nov 2017, 01:02

X
OldIsNew

OldIsNew wrote:Well I have a TS 804 board, bypassed the VR and have triple checked the wiring but no luck with Soarer's. HID gives output of keyboard ID 00000, PC/XT but no response at all to key presses. I added pull-up resistors and went ahead and changed the electrolytic caps on the board but no change. Interestingly the piezo buzzer does work with every key press - just no HID output. Any thoughts? - should I be using something other than Soarer's?

I've never played with a Soarer's Converter, but I just ordered one a couple days ago so I'll soon have one to play with. When I was playing with the Televideo stuff I had a generic XT clone which I ran the Televideo keyboards on (using the above cable) and a Televideo 1605 and TPC-II which I ran XT-compatible keyboards on (using the reverse of the above, with a 5 volt regulator inside the DIN shell). I still have a TPC-II portable (not currently working) and a couple Televideo keyboards, so I'll let you know if they work with a Soarer's once it arrives.
Polecat

Unread post13 Nov 2017, 04:53

X
Polecat

Polecat wrote:I've never played with a Soarer's Converter, but I just ordered one a couple days ago so I'll soon have one to play with... I still have a TPC-II portable (not currently working) and a couple Televideo keyboards, so I'll let you know if they work with a Soarer's once it arrives.

Thanks, it would be cool to get the board working with the original controller.
OldIsNew

Unread post14 Nov 2017, 18:00

X
OldIsNew

OldIsNew wrote:
Polecat wrote:I've never played with a Soarer's Converter, but I just ordered one a couple days ago so I'll soon have one to play with... I still have a TPC-II portable (not currently working) and a couple Televideo keyboards, so I'll let you know if they work with a Soarer's once it arrives.

Thanks, it would be cool to get the board working with the original controller.

The converter arrived, just need to dig out one of my old cables or make up a new one. Probably take me a few days; I'm swamped at work right now, but I'll update with the results ASAP.
Polecat

Unread post15 Nov 2017, 06:19

X
Polecat