deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

SL89

09 Apr 2015, 15:06

Slightly off topic, but the 'Spy' function displaying edits as well as posts / replies is brilliant. Thank you to whoever included that feature.

EDIT: Nevermind, In my haste to post I didnt realize i had just quoted myself instead of an edit.

But If Edits could be displayed in the 'Spy' function that would still be grand!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Apr 2015, 16:52

Obviously there are arguments in favour of restricting access to the Great Finds thread,
but if we do all lurkers will simply register and still lurk :D
And if the thread is restricted to club members, there will soon be another one opened by non-members missing it.

So in the end I think it would not work.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Apr 2015, 17:08

kbdfr wrote:Obviously there are arguments in favour of restricting access to the Great Finds thread,
but if we do all lurkers will simply register and still lurk :D
And if the thread is restricted to club members, there will soon be another one opened by non-members missing it.

So in the end I think it would not work.
Agreed. Possibly the thread should be renamed. Something like... "a mixed bag of joy and hate". Or: " come lurk on our great links". :D Killing the thread and starting a new one with very specific rules might be another option.

Muirium
µ

10 Apr 2015, 01:13

I don't see what the downside is to limiting its visibility to forum members. Lurkers with accounts aren't such a bad thing. They're more likely to show up and crow about what they caught thanks to us, than people with no affiliation to DT at all. And, trust me, bragging becomes addictive and soon enough some will wind up being forum regulars!

shreebles
Finally 60%

10 Apr 2015, 11:31

Muirium wrote: I don't see what the downside is to limiting its visibility to forum members. Lurkers with accounts aren't such a bad thing. They're more likely to show up and crow about what they caught thanks to us, than people with no affiliation to DT at all.
I agree fully with µ here. Also, I believe that the restriction is a small obstacle that will lock out the laziest of lurkers. Others may register and become members.

Lastly, it stops search engines from indexing the thread if it isn't publicly accessible.
Madhias wrote: I like the idea of the Great Finds thread only accessible for long time? club? members. It is the same in some photography discussion boards, where 'hot' locations are only shared of members of the board which are allowed to see these threads. How this is managed is also a hot topic :) Voting members to get in for example, on a weekly or monthly basis for example...

I don't think that the marketplace should be restricted! It is nice as it is. And it is a feature of DT to have a marketplace like that, in comparison to GH, Ebay, etc. It is free! It is open for everyone! It is like using a bicycle! Your examples, shreebles, are only three, and one of them is almost a year old, and the other one got no replies or interest at all. It is not like we are flooded with crap.

That sums it up perfect:
Nuum wrote: With a restriction, e.g. post count, we would have never gotten Cindy's awesome offers. ;)
I may have overestimated the severity of these issues. I was just really, really annoyed and wanted to improve the marketplace and DT in general.

Maybe a club-member Great finds thread should really be initiated alongside the current one!

Nuum wrote: Every member here is sensible enough to decide for themselves what to buy, from whom and at which price and we still can express our opinion if we don't like a particular offer.
We can, and we should!
I dislike people cashing in on the trend, using DT to make more money. But after all, it always takes suckers to go for these kind of offers. It's a free market, you are right.

rindorbrot

10 Apr 2015, 13:24

I would vote to make the Great Finds thread accessible to forum member only. No further restrictions on the marketplace.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Apr 2015, 14:34

What about leaving the Great Finds thread as it is, but (if technically feasible at all) making external links posted there visible and accessible only to members (or club members)?

seebart

10 Apr 2015, 14:36

kbdfr wrote: What about leaving the Great Finds thread as it is, but (if technically feasible at all) making external links posted there visible and accessible only to members (or club members)?
yes I would support that.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Apr 2015, 14:39

Note that PhpBB supports r/w access permissions on a subforum basis, not topics or urls.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Apr 2015, 09:28

No clue what "r/w access permission" is :lol:

Muirium
µ

11 Apr 2015, 09:43

Read/write, I presume. Perhaps we need a subforum specifically for Great Finds (and any future threads similarly appealing to lurkers).

Muirium
µ

11 Apr 2015, 10:29

SL89 wrote: Slightly off topic, but the 'Spy' function displaying edits as well as posts / replies is brilliant. Thank you to whoever included that feature.

EDIT: Nevermind, In my haste to post I didnt realize i had just quoted myself instead of an edit.

But If Edits could be displayed in the 'Spy' function that would still be grand!
True. It'd be handy for the real junkies like us!

By the way, I still find the Spy often shows stale content and needs manually refreshed to ever catch up again. Especially when it shows up right after I've made a post. It falls out of sync more than daily for me.

seebart

11 Apr 2015, 10:37

Yes I can confirm that. It seems more like a slight delay in the update of the "list".

Khers

11 Apr 2015, 10:54

I have the same problem, so I've resorted to obsessively clicking manual update whenever I come back to spy after visiting a topic.

chzel

11 Apr 2015, 10:55

Same here, if you go "back" after reading a topic, it goes to the last manually refreshed instance!

seebart

11 Apr 2015, 10:58

When I'm on Tapatalk this does not occur.

Topre Enthusiast

19 May 2015, 12:37

Not sure if this is known, but the quick search feature at the top of the page doesn't draw properly if you bring it up twice in the same session.

First click is fine:
Spoiler:
first click.jpg
first click.jpg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
Then click it again to dismiss the form, and once again to bring it back up and:
Spoiler:
second click.jpg
second click.jpg (33.61 KiB) Viewed 3696 times

seebart

19 May 2015, 12:40

002 wrote: Not sure if this is known, but the quick search feature at the top of the page doesn't draw properly if you bring it up twice in the same session.
yes true, I had noticed that and forgotten about it again since I do not use the quick search much.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 May 2015, 12:59

Fixed it.

seebart

19 May 2015, 13:06

webwit wrote: Fixed it.
thank's webwit. That was fast! :)

Muirium
µ

02 Jun 2015, 12:12

I've noticed PM subjects get real stupid when sent back and forth between people with different language settings:
Re: Fwd: R: Re: [GB] Interest Check for MX black keyboard *N
Italian uses R: for reply, while English uses Re:, and whenever they cross, the actual title is chomped ever shorter! I'm not a fan of Fwd: Re: either. Could we maybe use a smarter titling algorithm that simply drops all other Re: R: Fwd: bits and maintains a single Re: (or whatever) at the beginning of the title? Who cares about the rest? Only the opening one tells you what this specific PM is. And the real subject's getting pushed off a cliff…

Naturally, you can tell I hand edit these subject lines when I reply to people (and I notice all that nonsense) but I can't bring back characters from the abyss.

seebart

02 Jun 2015, 12:20

Muirium wrote: I've noticed PM subjects get real stupid when sent back and forth between people with different language settings
It should just be "Re:" for all languages. Uniform.

Muirium
µ

02 Jun 2015, 13:02

Perhaps. But I'd like to kill Re: Fwd: Re: as well. There's no need for multiple ones tacked on at the front.

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 15:20

Here's a subtle one, but I trip over it quite a lot. Sometimes when you quote a post that has attachments in it, this happens:
Muirium wrote:
XMIT wrote:
seebart wrote: now that you mention it the caps sit fairly tight on those sliders. It took some pulling to get them off. But how are you going to "roll them off" ?
Alright, I just tried this. Here is the procedure:

1. Grab both sides of the key with a Topre style key cap puller. The key cap puller should be vertical, perpendicular to the keyboard.
2. Rotate the key cap puller to the right about the centerline of the key cap. The left edge of the key cap will rise and the right edge of the key cap will either stay in place or drop.

I successfully removed about five keys this way with no drama, no scratches and no broken switches. The key caps roll right off.

The Topre style key cap puller is the forward one in this (stolen) photo:
KeyPullers.JPG
This should work equally well with a wire key cap puller but engaging the side of the key cap - and not just a corner - is key. I have not tried with a ring style key puller but the nubs may not provide enough engagement.
What's your advice for pulling space invader caps? I found them maddening with a wire keypuller, as the switches opened around 50% of the time, with springs flying! I didn't have Topre tongs then, but I do now.
The attachment breaks. I usually go in to zap it, and edit to [img] tags around the URL of the attachment, that I've gone back and grabbed manually. Annoying, especially for >1 attachments. Automating this would be most slick.

Usually I'm against quoting en masse. Repetitive pictures all over a page are an eyesore. But I will do it on a page turn so people can instantly see what I'm on about.

seebart

09 Jun 2015, 15:22

hmm strange, never noticed it until now.

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 15:29

Doesn't always break. But try quoting that post!

My guess is that attachments break when the user bothered to rename the files (or title them or whatever the upload mode calls it). If you are too lazy for that, like me, people can quote you fine.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Jun 2015, 15:58

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 16:28

I don't see anyone standing up there saying its a good thing. They're just debating someone's (flawed) patch which fixes it by inflicting another problem.

wlhlm
~

09 Jun 2015, 16:45

002 wrote: Not sure if this is known, but the quick search feature at the top of the page doesn't draw properly if you bring it up twice in the same session.

First click is fine:
Spoiler:
The attachment first click.jpg is no longer available
Then click it again to dismiss the form, and once again to bring it back up and:
Spoiler:
The attachment second click.jpg is no longer available
Still not 100% fixed:
Search pop-up problem
Search pop-up problem
Untitled.png (90.4 KiB) Viewed 3551 times

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 16:58

I like how your post also illustrates my bug!

What browser/OS is that still affecting?

Return to “Deskthority talk”