Post your deskthority header images here

mr_a500

18 Mar 2015, 16:12

Only two of mine are crops of other people's photos (with clone work). The rest are all my crops of my photos. I didn't actually construct and manufacture the keyboards though, so I can't really take credit for that. :mrgreen:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Mar 2015, 16:15

I know I have a few up, 2-3? Only ones own shots should count!

mr_a500

18 Mar 2015, 16:23

Muirium wrote: I'd like to see the whole league table actually. Who else has several up now?
Aren't you supposed to be updating the wiki? You're in charge of the headers, but you're ignoring a key responsibility. I think you need disciplinary action. :P

Seriously though, it would be nice if the header wiki was updated - creator and description of what keyboard/item is in the header. I have no idea what the hell that springy thing in dashboard153.jpg is.

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 16:34

I was thinking of forcing hopeful contributors with writing up their own entry's wiki page as the price of entry. But then again I never read those (chicken and egg of course) while I like a constant flow of juicy new headers.

What about just deleting the wiki index!

Anyone else much bothered?

mr_a500

18 Mar 2015, 16:41

Oh sure, you want the prestige of being "guy in charge of headers", but not the responsibility, eh? :D

Muirium wrote: I was thinking of forcing hopeful contributors with writing up their own entry's wiki page as the price of entry.
That's a good idea. The point is not to make extra work or for vanity (yeah, you don't believe me do you) but just for information. Many times I've seen a header and said, "What the hell is that?" and I want to find out but I can't. A simple "creator", "date" and brief description would be good. (link to original photo, if posted in another thread would be nice too)

I'd be happy to maintain that wiki - if I could bloody log in, that is. My username isn't wiki-friendly.

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 17:05

I am a simple man, not well versed in the way of the wiki. What I can do is dig out links to the original pictures where I recognise them, and cobble up descriptions when I know what it actually is. An example of one but not the other is indeed Photekq's recent shot. With anything by him, my mind permanently inserts the text "Cherry G8" with the cursor waiting ready. But I've not a clue what the next character will be!

SL89

18 Mar 2015, 18:25

mr_a500's crazy big enter is my new fav banner

mr_a500

18 Mar 2015, 20:15

Muirium, can we get rid of the nude girl header now? Though I do like naked girls sitting at vintage terminals, I cringe at the blurriness and the shoddy way I put it together. When nathanscribe's "running man with keyboard" shot appeared to replace it, I breathed a sigh of relief that it would be hours before I saw it again.

(yes, I know it would put me down to 8 headers, but that's still one more than you! :P )

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 20:20

That's actually Matteo's improved version. But I'll think about it.

The roster has a bad habit of starting over from the top (where the new pictures are inserted) whenever I upload things, which is one of my reasons for doing them in batches.

mr_a500

18 Mar 2015, 20:21

Muirium wrote: That's actually Matteo's improved version.
Oh good... in that case, I cringe at the shoddy way he put it together. :mrgreen:

(...but that means I never made it to 9 headers... damn.)

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Mar 2015, 20:23

Muirium wrote: That's actually Matteo's improved version. But I'll think about it.

The roster has a bad habit of starting over from the top (where the new pictures are inserted) whenever I upload things, which is one of my reasons for doing them in batches.
You should see a Set as current button for each header, use that to fix it.

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 20:50

Good point. I seem to remember the last time I tried that it worked for the first hour, but then started from the top again. But I remember many things that never happened…

joc

18 Mar 2015, 21:12

Here's another cool vintage photo that might be worth trying to crop:

Source: https://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic_h ... 0th/1970s/ (first link that says "An NSA supercomputer in the 1970s")

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 21:23

Being a government image, it should be copyright free for a change. Go on then!

seebart

18 Mar 2015, 21:26

the fact of having a vintage NSA supercomputer as a header makes me...ah well why not? It's an IBM machine after all with a pretty hot lady at work there...

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Mar 2015, 21:39

What's next. IBM machines that were sold to nazi Germany to help with the logistics of the holocaust?

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 21:46

Depends on the keyboard obviously.

<Insert obligatory header nazi picture here.>

seebart

18 Mar 2015, 21:50

webwit wrote: What's next. IBM machines that were sold to nazi Germany to help with the logistics of the holocaust?
I don't think they sold IBM machines to nazi Germany webwit! The nazi war machine used Siemens etc. The US did take Wernher von Braun and his scientist crew to work for them after 45 though. No headers of any of those guys please. :?

mr_a500

18 Mar 2015, 21:55

Yes they did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust

That was before the Selectric and Selectric-style keyboards though, so I don't think we have to worry about a nice looking Nazi keyboard we can't use.

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 22:02

I kid you not, only yesterday I was watching an old film by the USAF about the aftermath of the Hiroshima bomb. They used the city as a field test to calibrate their models of how effective these nukes would be in future wars. Of particular interest in the film was its effect on buildings and infrastructure. In Hiroshima's industrial workshop district, the camera lingered on an imported piece of machinery by General Electric that had been in use up until the bomb dropped!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy ... f_the_bomb

The only places that don't have imports are the weirdos like North Korea. Peace is good for business. But war is even better!

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Mar 2015, 22:02

:o

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 22:07

He's staring, just like I am, at one nasty hairdo. Yikes.

mr_a500

18 Mar 2015, 22:16

Hitler was much happier with Volkswagen.

I own a VW Bug and IBM keyboards. Does that make me... a Nazi?

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 22:20

Keyboards, Godwin, please! Weren't there any good ones in Schindler's List?

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Mar 2015, 22:33

mr_a500 wrote: I own a VW Bug and IBM keyboards. Does that make me... a Nazi?
That depends. Do you prefer Helvetica or Arial?

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 22:40

THERE IS ONLY ONEANSEER TO THIS QUESTION!!!!!

mr_a500

18 Mar 2015, 22:59

webwit wrote:
mr_a500 wrote: I own a VW Bug and IBM keyboards. Does that make me... a Nazi?
That depends. Do you prefer Helvetica or Arial?
What do you think? Helvetica for the fatherland! Arial must die.

snoopy

18 Mar 2015, 23:01

I have a IBM board that is powdercoated in the so called Panzergrau or Wehrmachtsgrau. It even has a skull on it. Does that make me an Über-Nazi? :D Maybe I should call it SSSaver instead of BlacKish. :p

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 23:18

If you asked for that colour by name, perhaps so!

Now you put it like that, I finally understand the draw of skulls. If it was cool enough for Heinrich…

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Mar 2015, 23:41

The first IBM skull was a DT giveaway, so we're all in it I guess.
http://deskthority.net/awards-f28/win-r ... t1610.html

Return to “Deskthority talk”