F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Elrick

15 Nov 2015, 01:37

Ellipse wrote: Depending on interest, all of the HHKB style PCBs may have detachable controllers so you may be able to bring your own controller for those as well. I will let everyone know.
Would love to see current HHKB owners disembowel their keyboards for yours Ellipse :D .

Muirium
µ

15 Nov 2015, 01:46

Kishsaver: not quite so good on the lap! I can tell you from experience. Always a relief to get those 3 hard kilos out of the way and some blood-flow back…

Elrick

15 Nov 2015, 04:19

Muirium wrote: Always a relief to get those 3 hard kilos out of the way and some blood-flow back…
Definitely helps to build up your strength if you've lived a life like most nerds do, here on DT ;) .

darkspider

15 Nov 2015, 04:25

Muirium wrote: a relief to get those 3 hard kilos out of the way and some blood-flow back…
It may lead to crush syndrome!

Ellipse

15 Nov 2015, 21:04

What USB cable lengths are preferred for those who signed the interest form? I was thinking 10 feet, which is really 9 feet as part of the cable is routed inside the F77/F62 keyboard. People can use their own cable but it doesn't cost much to have the preferred cable already configured.

Elrick

16 Nov 2015, 02:05

Ellipse wrote: What USB cable lengths are preferred for those who signed the interest form? I was thinking 10 feet, which is really 9 feet as part of the cable is routed inside the F77/F62 keyboard. People can use their own cable but it doesn't cost much to have the preferred cable already configured.
I want my cable to be long enough to lasso a runaway wombat 8-) .

andrewjoy

16 Nov 2015, 11:05

10 feet sounds good.

What colour is it going to be ? I recommend black for the industrials

Ellipse

16 Nov 2015, 13:35

They will be black. If you have another preference pls PM me.

16 Nov 2015, 15:57

10' is good. Black would work for grey and black cases. I would imagine a beige color cable would be better for the off-white color case?

Samir

16 Nov 2015, 16:11

There seems to be a cable length limit for usb 1.0 of 3 meters, so it will be important that the cable is designed for usb 2.0 and the signaling of the keyboard is of a usb 2.0 device in order to have longer cable lengths.

Ratfink

16 Nov 2015, 18:52

Samir wrote: There seems to be a cable length limit for usb 1.0 of 3 meters[...]
Well then, it's a good thing that it isn't 1997.

RoastPotatoes

16 Nov 2015, 19:26

The longer the better I think. I really like the 2.75m mega long Model M cable. I think that is 9 foot ish.

Vizir

16 Nov 2015, 21:52

My AT model F had an original black cable on beige box

Elrick

17 Nov 2015, 00:41

Vizir wrote: My AT model F had an original black cable on beige box
Black cable is ALWAYS sexy, especially when it's slick and glossy........ 8-)

Samir

17 Nov 2015, 14:44

Ratfink wrote:
Samir wrote: There seems to be a cable length limit for usb 1.0 of 3 meters[...]
Well then, it's a good thing that it isn't 1997.
If the signalling and cable is only usb 1.0 (which most input devices are), then this is still important today.

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2015, 14:46

You likely mean USB 1.1 which displaced USB 1.0 in ancient times.

Checking my Xwhatsit equipped Kishsaver just now, I do indeed see USB 1.1 rather than 2.0 or above:
Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 1.47.18 p.m..png
Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 1.47.18 p.m..png (142.3 KiB) Viewed 5099 times
Amsuingly, Xwhatsit chose to use USB Vendor ID 0481. Not IBM, like I expected, but someone else who made some of my keyboards…

Code: Select all

0481  Zenith Data Systems
http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

Samir

17 Nov 2015, 16:56

Muirium wrote: You likely mean USB 1.1 which displaced USB 1.0 in ancient times.

Checking my Xwhatsit equipped Kishsaver just now, I do indeed see USB 1.1 rather than 2.0 or above:
Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 1.47.18 p.m..png
Amsuingly, Xwhatsit chose to use USB Vendor ID 0481. Not IBM, like I expected, but someone else who made some of my keyboards…

Code: Select all

0481  Zenith Data Systems
http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids
Yes, thank you for the correction on the version. But I believe 1.1 is still limited to the 1.0 cable specs. I can't seem to find anything that says otherwise.

bhtooefr

17 Nov 2015, 17:34

It's worth noting that there's a couple USB VIDs out there that are available for use by open source projects:

1209 (so far - they're soliciting donations of other VIDs from companies that got one and are no longer in business, and got their VID before USB IF banned transfers of VIDs or PIDs): http://pid.codes
1D50 (Openmoko, Inc.): http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_Produ ... roduct_IDs

It's a better approach than piggybacking on someone else's VID (unless, of course, your chip vendor offers a unique PID for your use, or you need to use someone else's VID/PID to get their drivers (ala Matias Mac keyboards using Apple's VID and the PID of the wired Aluminum keyboard)), IMO, and the xwhatsit adapter is open source...

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2015, 17:36

Can't we just thwack Zenith's zombie IP lawyers with our Kishsavers?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

17 Nov 2015, 17:44

Muirium wrote: Can't we just thwack Zenith's zombie IP lawyers with our Kishsavers?
No because any Kishaver is much too nice for anything like that. ;) Use some heavy dome or something instead.

andrewjoy

17 Nov 2015, 18:09

Can we not just use IBMs USB ID ? Its not as if they are going to care about 20 -30 keyboards

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2015, 18:37

Sure. You speak hex, right? It's in there. Somewhere.

Firebolt1914

17 Nov 2015, 19:00

I will finally work on making a post on OTD; sorry I haven't had much time.

Would I also be able to see more pictures of the flippers?

Ellipse

18 Nov 2015, 03:38

Sorry Firebolt I only have barrel/flipper photos that I posted. The factory will be assembling the prototypes (I don't have everything yet). We are still waiting on the powdercoating of the cases, the inner foam, outside foam/box, and flipper/spring assembly. I am now hoping for prototype delivery by the end of the month (a bit delayed unfortunately). I have arranged for a few sample barrels/flippers to be mailed in advance of the prototypes; they should arrive in a week or so. Then I can post some higher resolution photos.

Elrick

18 Nov 2015, 10:36

Ellipse wrote: Sorry Firebolt I only have barrel/flipper photos that I posted. The factory will be assembling the prototypes (I don't have everything yet). We are still waiting on the powdercoating of the cases, the inner foam, outside foam/box, and flipper/spring assembly. I am now hoping for prototype delivery by the end of the month (a bit delayed unfortunately). I have arranged for a few sample barrels/flippers to be mailed in advance of the prototypes; they should arrive in a week or so. Then I can post some higher resolution photos.
We are all waiting with excitement on these babies, looking forward to seeing some pics before handing over all that moolah for them 8-) .

courtesi

18 Nov 2015, 19:30

What baffles me is how much Ellipse has accomplished; yet we still don't have an ETA on a Unicomp SSK?

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2015, 19:34

Easy: ain't gonna happen. Next question!

kuato

18 Nov 2015, 20:00

Ellipse's next project could be making capacitive guts for the IBM SSK. Man, I would buy that in a second!

18 Nov 2015, 20:28

Is not the F77 essentially an SSK? Sure you have to manage the number row and F row being combined - but it seems close enough.

kuato

18 Nov 2015, 20:52

They're close, sure but I would bet that a reasonably priced upgrade like that for the SSK would be of interest to a lot of people.

Return to “Group buys”