GMK / Cherry doubleshot modifier packs (complete?)

dirge

25 Jan 2013, 19:37

Does the fact that mods are in another colour push the price up?

I wouldn't mind having everything the same.

fruktstund

25 Jan 2013, 20:05

guilleguillaume wrote:I hope Handerbeit can make it :mrgreen:
Everytime I see people hoping for Handarbeit I think "Handarbeit macht frei" in my head. I'll blame it on that Swedish guy who stole that nazi sign a few years ago... o: [Sorry for any offence caused by this post!]
dirge wrote:..okay worst case... what about blanks and asking qwerkeys to engrave and backfill? Yes it will look terrible ..... need to stop posting anything in my head..
I came up with a better "worst case scenario" idea, both for vendors and group buys: run a US/GB set. With a GB set ISO users will still have the keyboard layout they're used too, and it won't look stupid either.

Back when I was an ISO user I didn't want to wait for The Keyboard Company to get Swedish layout Filcos in stock, so I bought a GB layout one and was really satisfied anyway. :>

Now it seems we won't have to deal with worst case scenarios, but I just felt like writing this post anyway.

IvanIvanovich

25 Jan 2013, 20:07

The original TA set have all the same base color, except the single delete key was white on a lighter green... if change it not exactly a reproduction anymore, but the matter of having some sort of two tone is open to discussion.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

26 Jan 2013, 13:20

Maybe the TA set could get legends in the lighter green color, AE, and modifiers in white on green (I really love that green color)

more or less a CCnG :?

Jmneuv

26 Jan 2013, 13:38

N8 looks kinda edible

shiverrr

26 Jan 2013, 14:28

I think changing the green legend colour is straying too far away from the original.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

26 Jan 2013, 16:14

Why is that a bad thing?
We finally have the opportunity to make our own Cherry keys, why not take advantage of it? I really can't see why we necessarily have to make replicas when we can have our own.

IvanIvanovich

26 Jan 2013, 17:46

I ask for new colorways also. I will have those in poll soon, still gathering ideas. Some are fresh, some are mash up and remix of classics. Please make more suggestion. Mock up or at least color swatch of what you are proposing will be most helpful.

dirge

26 Jan 2013, 19:23

I'm like a broken record I know... but something tasteful like this?

Grond

26 Jan 2013, 19:31

Dolch is still my favorite. But if full sets are so expensive, I'd rather have moogle kits. Classic rgb(y) would be cool as well.

7bit

26 Jan 2013, 19:35

This would be really great! I want these key caps.

PCB will be available in the Hyper group buy.

Who makes the case?

dirge

26 Jan 2013, 19:42

7bit wrote:
Who makes the case?
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=29827.0

^ think these guys will be back up and running soon, maybe worth dropping them a message mate.

Jmneuv

26 Jan 2013, 19:53

Does dolch always equal big centered legends aswell?

Acanthophis

26 Jan 2013, 20:02

Jmneuv wrote:Does dolch always equal big centered legends aswell?
Nope.
http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... -t100.html

IvanIvanovich

26 Jan 2013, 20:05

No, what you are thinking of is a different set made by SP with similar colorway. It's not the same at all. Dolch is this:

New set will look 100% identical, with more keys and layout options if that wins.

Yes dirge I like that one too, and can't believe I forgot about it (again). Color F row would make an excellent special pack candidate. Maybe do a matching numpad replacement with roman numeral instead of just the 4 keys?

Jmneuv

26 Jan 2013, 20:16

Ah so pretty, thanks.

dirge

26 Jan 2013, 21:07

:) thanks lysol, I feel if I post that link enough it will become real :)

Having the mods in the same colour as the alphas and having the function row in an alternate colour seems like an alternative to the mod and alphas being different. Maybe something to bare in mind, the colour distribution and be balanced in other ways.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

27 Jan 2013, 18:52

Drew up some ideas that I've had for some time (and an extra one). Hope it's okay that I used the pic from the other Cherry IC.

Forest Coffee

SR-50 (inspired by the beautiful Texas Instruments SR-50 and SR-11 calculators)

Dirges wet dream :lol:

Alternative versions in my imgur album
Tell me what you think.

mintberryminuscrunch

27 Jan 2013, 18:58

the last version would be easiest to accomplish. and you could sell function row kits in different colours (red, yellow, charkoal...)

dirge

27 Jan 2013, 18:58

Broadmonkey wrote: Dirges wet dream :lol:

Tell me what you think.
It would be but you missed something vital, having it in UK ISO ;)

tbh the other design I love too, always wanted a gulf / ford gt cap set :)

IvanIvanovich

27 Jan 2013, 19:07

Nice ideas. I need to take some time and get them all collected and make a poll for them. Some things will be best as full sets, while some may serve better as just extra packs which is good as it gives a lot more freedom for some interesting combinations.

Wraul

29 Jan 2013, 19:14

Just wanted to give some more weight (how ever small) to the Swedish keys.
I would most likely buy about 6 sets if the price is reasonable and the colors is acceptable.

I also don't have anything against larger kits consisting of multiple layouts if that means others would get their specific language.

damorgue

29 Jan 2013, 19:43

I am guessing I could pass 5 or so sets to close friends and even more to Swedish computer forums if need be.

fruktstund

29 Jan 2013, 19:58

I'll definitely buy a Swedish set for myself, even though I don't use ISO. I'd probably also buy a few sets for reselling to friends (and strangers!) if needed for reaching the MOQ. At least if the group buy isn't conducted in April or May (planning to have no money to spend on keycaps here :>).

Someone should really post something about this on Sweclockers by the way, since the interest in mechanical keyboards seems to constantly be on rise over there. Would've done it myself, but I can't remember my password currently, lol.

IvanIvanovich

29 Jan 2013, 20:00

Hopefully I can get some time to get the poll cleaned up and do a proper count. Been really busy with avalanche of questions about shipping for my dyesubs buy and haven't gotten a chance yet. Also need to get the community colorways poll finished and up.

IvanIvanovich

30 Jan 2013, 03:08

lysol wrote: Current polling, trend on colorway took a big change. Dolch is still currently in the lead, but only just with SkiData and TA tied for 2nd by slim margins with handarbiet now in third. Language choice remains fairly steady with US, GB, DE and ES still in the majority in that order. SF and NO are likely to happen, FR is getting there, everything else is still up in the air.
Things are staying pretty steady, it's still as above with 250 votes after cleaning up multiple votes from same voter name (I only kept the most recent time stamp vote). With that many votes as long as there is follow through with actual orders I really think we can do it.

I think what I will do, is leave that poll open for 2 more weeks, then declare a winner for classic colorway. During this time we will keep brainstorming on the community colorways then get that voting going. Once we have the 2 colorway winners we will get all the sets details ironed out fully with what will be included and not legend and size wise, and start planning on how best to handle the actual buy in regard to payment collection and logistics and so on.

damorgue

30 Jan 2013, 08:01

fruktstund wrote: Someone should really post something about this on Sweclockers by the way, since the interest in mechanical keyboards seems to constantly be on rise over there. Would've done it myself, but I can't remember my password currently, lol.
I was planning to when we get less diffuse cost estimates and a time frame from GMK.

shiverrr

01 Feb 2013, 15:50

damorgue wrote:
fruktstund wrote: Someone should really post something about this on Sweclockers by the way, since the interest in mechanical keyboards seems to constantly be on rise over there. Would've done it myself, but I can't remember my password currently, lol.
I was planning to when we get less diffuse cost estimates and a time frame from GMK.
Better do it sooner than later. We need as many Swedish/Finnish entries as possible before this group buy is set into motion.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

01 Feb 2013, 15:51

dirge wrote: It would be but you missed something vital, having it in UK ISO ;)
Sorry, my mistake! It should of course be ISO :D

I also added my take on the TA set, I have made both a version with and without grey mods. I don't really know which one I like the best. I guess it depends on what shades of white and grey is chosen.

LechnerDE

02 Feb 2013, 16:33

I am really interested in ISO DE sets.

I think I'd buy more than 1 set if my favorite color combination wins the poll :)

Return to “Group buys”