Mac M0110 Keyboard -- Making CapsLock into Control?

Hypersphere

20 Jun 2014, 00:44

There have been some excellent posts on DT and elsewhere about modding the Apple Mac M0010 keyboard.
Apple-M0110-Keyboard.jpeg
Apple-M0110-Keyboard.jpeg (46.25 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
http://www.avernus.com/~gadams/hardware ... ayout.html

The mods were beautiful, but they involved completely desoldering the switches and then rewiring them.

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/the- ... t1067.html
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/my-c ... t5772.html

I am interested in the possibility of doing a minimal mod of this keyboard consisting of Hasu's converter and making the locking CapsLock key into a normal key that I could then remap as a Control key. At this stage, I don't think I want to remove the PCB and rewire all the switches.

To do the CapsLock to Control key transformation, would I need to desolder the switch and replace it with a spare normal switch from another M0110 keyboard, or could I simply remove the locking mechanism and Dremel off the peg from under the keycap?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions!
Last edited by Hypersphere on 20 Jun 2014, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

wheybags

20 Jun 2014, 00:47

This mod always struck me as a terrbile thing to do ;_;
You're ruining an old keyboard!

Hypersphere

20 Jun 2014, 01:09

wheybags wrote:This mod always struck me as a terrbile thing to do ;_;
What about just doing the Hasu converter so that the keyboard could be used with USB? Actually, I am considering two of these keyboards. One would be left relatively intact (Hasu only); the other might get the CapsLock ---> Control conversion. In a later version of the Mac keyboard, Apple added a Ctrl key to the left of the "A" key, but they also added other keys, including a numeric keypad.

Muirium
µ

20 Jun 2014, 01:40

Have you got the M0110s yet? I guess it depends on condition.

Mine is in pretty good shape, and I haven't the heart to fiddle with it. I'm just going to install Hasu's M0110 specific converter, once I've cleaned the faint whiff of smoking out. I cleaned the caps when I first got it, but this is coming from under the plate I think.

Lowpoly's the man to ask, as his mod is legend. He swapped the latching key for an instantaneous one (from his backup keyboard), judging by the bit in his guide we shows how to mod the cap's mount, which is a different height on that single switch. Seems a lot of work if you ask me. And not in the vein of keyboard Buddhism! Latches are awesome, and every keyboard wants one really.

Once I've got mine up and running, I know a good use for it. Think of how natural it would be with an iPad!

Hypersphere

20 Jun 2014, 02:10

Muirium wrote:Have you got the M0110s yet? I guess it depends on condition.

Mine is in pretty good shape, and I haven't the heart to fiddle with it. I'm just going to install Hasu's M0110 specific converter, once I've cleaned the faint whiff of smoking out. I cleaned the caps when I first got it, but this is coming from under the plate I think.

Lowpoly's the man to ask, as his mod is legend. He swapped the latching key for an instantaneous one (from his backup keyboard), judging by the bit in his guide we shows how to mod the cap's mount, which is a different height on that single switch. Seems a lot of work if you ask me. And not in the vein of keyboard Buddhism! Latches are awesome, and every keyboard wants one really.

Once I've got mine up and running, I know a good use for it. Think of how natural it would be with an iPad!
Thanks for the always insightful insights. Just found a couple of M0110s at a reasonable price. I've always been drawn to the M0110 owing to its symmetry and resemblance to the HHKB. Although I appreciate preservation and the novelty of a latching key on a computer keyboard, I also like to have my Ctrl key and to have it where it belongs -- where the Caps Lock often sits.

It would be nice to make an iPad useful! ;)

jacobolus

20 Jun 2014, 04:19

This seems like really silly criticism. There were hundreds of thousands of these made, and there are plenty in good condition conditions sitting in museums and private collections. Taking something unlikely to ever be used again (because it’s incompatible with modern machines) and turning it into something new and usable is wonderful! It’s not like we’re painting over Picassos here.

lowpoly

20 Jun 2014, 11:23

^^^ This. While I used broken 'boards for my mod, I wouldn't hesitate to use a functional one. Daily use wins over closet/shelf.

@Hypersphere: Removing the pcb will make the M0110 much more quiet. You can also replace the springs so the switches are lighter. If you really want to use it I would recommend this.

Otherwise, I'd just replace the switch. The latches break easily when you try to remove it with the pcb in place and I think in can't be modded into a regular switch but my memory may fail me here. If you can't find a replacement switch in the US let me know and I'll send you one.

scottc

20 Jun 2014, 11:38

jacobolus wrote:
This seems like really silly criticism. There were hundreds of thousands of these made, and there are plenty in good condition conditions sitting in museums and private collections. Taking something unlikely to ever be used again (because it’s incompatible with modern machines) and turning it into something new and usable is wonderful! It’s not like we’re painting over Picassos here.
There are two sides to this argument, and I agree with some points from both. I think the point is that they're destructive conversions, unlike adding a converter... But it's not like I'm going to be using an M0110 on any of the machines it came from, so it really doesn't bother me. :D

I'd like to get my hands on one of these too! Another project, another day...

Hypersphere

20 Jun 2014, 14:06

lowpoly wrote:^^^ This. While I used broken 'boards for my mod, I wouldn't hesitate to use a functional one. Daily use wins over closet/shelf.

@Hypersphere: Removing the pcb will make the M0110 much more quiet. You can also replace the springs so the switches are lighter. If you really want to use it I would recommend this.

Otherwise, I'd just replace the switch. The latches break easily when you try to remove it with the pcb in place and I think in can't be modded into a regular switch but my memory may fail me here. If you can't find a replacement switch in the US let me know and I'll send you one.
Thanks. I am accustomed to using an IBM Model F XT; consequently, loud and heavy do not bother me. However, I do like to have a Control key where the CapsLock resides. As soon as I receive the keyboards and look at the CapsLock key, I will have a better idea of how to proceed.

wheybags

20 Jun 2014, 17:28

Hypersphere wrote:
What about just doing the Hasu converter so that the keyboard could be used with USB? Actually, I am considering two of these keyboards. One would be left relatively intact (Hasu only); the other might get the CapsLock ---> Control conversion. In a later version of the Mac keyboard, Apple added a Ctrl key to the left of the "A" key, but they also added other keys, including a numeric keypad.
I would have no problem with a nondestructive mod :P

Hypersphere

20 Jun 2014, 17:30

wheybags wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:
I would have no problem with a nondestructive mod :P
Thanks. I suppose an analogy would be going on safari with a camera instead of a rifle. ;)

wheybags

20 Jun 2014, 17:31

Also, there's the fact that locking keys are cool :D

cookie

20 Jun 2014, 18:55

I see no problem in turning something outdated into a daily usable item!
Lovely, functional and with a good portion of old days charme :)

Muirium
µ

21 Jun 2014, 01:12

True. The M0110 isn't especially rare either. I'm just against busting locks. Latching keys are fantastic! We need more, not less, of those. Or I do, anyway…

cookie

21 Jun 2014, 16:21

Is overhauling a HHKB pro1 legit? :D

scottc

21 Jun 2014, 16:22

If you don't feel like overhauling it, I know someone that could give it a good home...

cookie

21 Jun 2014, 16:25

Believe me, it is in verry good hands right now! :D

Edit: Sorry, I don't want to hijack you thread!

hasu

22 Jun 2014, 02:24

Hypersphere wrote: To do the CapsLock to Control key transformation, would I need to desolder the switch and replace it with a spare normal switch from another M0110 keyboard, or could I simply remove the locking mechanism and Dremel off the peg from under the keycap?
Right. You need to file down the CapsLock like top right of my photo. Top left shows intact CapsLock of M0110.
Or you can harvest CapsLock from old darker color *Mitsumi* M0110A(bottom left), it is perfectly fits without filing. Bottom right is platinum color Mitsumi cap. As you can see Mitsumi caps are thiner than Alps unfortunately.

Hypersphere

22 Jun 2014, 15:49

@hasu, Thanks for the tip!

Return to “Keyboards”