NEC blue ovals

Hak Foo

05 Jul 2015, 07:54

Honestly, part of the reason I haven't gotten into these yet is because they seem like a 'dead-end' switch type.

No matter how good they may be, we'll always only be able to experience them within the context of a few ancient boards, most of which probably have quite a few kilometres on them already.

There is no future source of switches or caps aside from scrapping equally old and scarce boards. It looks like you couldn't easily do a PCB-plate swap (the pinout looks closer to ALPS than MX, but wider) to get a different layout or native-USB.

I'd hate to fall in love, then have no suitable fallback in a couple years when the board is worn to the point of requiring repair/replacement.

At least with ALPS-style switches, we have a few firms carrying the torch. If I kill my Tactile Pro, I can get another or at least bags of spare parts at a fair price.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 Jul 2015, 09:14

Very true. NEC ovals are a very specific and rare switch. Before XMIT there were few around here and GH. That's why I was quite excited about his teardown of that ACP.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Jul 2015, 14:17

Well, I already have one board that is down a few switches, so it is a parts/donor board for anyone who ever needs it. Busted switches can still be glued back together and make nice key chains, but are not really usable on the board.

Did I mention that the cable on these keyboards is really, extraordinarily heavy? Also the keyboard has weights in it. Look through the photo album for them. I'll eventually post more photos in the thread from the album.

I've received a few PMs about these switches. It may take me a while to respond until I get a moment to pull some more switches.

Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2015, 14:42

Trying not to find these switches appealing. La la la… not listening… lala lala la!

seebart

11 Jul 2015, 14:54

LA la la ... Haha. :D Honestly I never noticed the weights XMIT? Where are they?

klikkyklik

11 Jul 2015, 19:06

Take a look on the very right side- looks suspiciously like a lead weight to me!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... 5aQXYzN1Zn

seebart

11 Jul 2015, 19:28

Yes true. Never noticed that on mine. I'll have a look.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Oct 2015, 04:11

Thread necro! I failed to mention one important thing earlier, because it was supposed to be a surprise all along:

This refurbished keyboard was a gift for elecplus.

I was finally able to deliver the keyboard in person to elecplus this morning. Thank you again for all that you continue to do for folks here on the forums. I hope you enjoy your new-old keyboard in good health. Please let me know if you need an AT-USB converter for it.

elecplus

21 Oct 2015, 04:58

Thank you XMIT! The board is beautiful!

klikkyklik

21 Oct 2015, 05:39

Jose, that just has coolness written all over it. I hope you enjoy those beautiful blue ovals, Cindy!

Chyros

21 Oct 2015, 09:58

Aww, that's nice :) . Have fun with the board, Cindy! :)

Return to “Keyboards”