Picked up an XT keyboard the other day

neko2k

18 Sep 2012, 18:14

Picked this up at a thrift store the other day for the large sum of 97 cents. It seems to be a generic OEM keyboard with the name "Tandon" stuck on the case. On the PCB, it says "HI-TEK Series 725".

This certainly isn't a buckling spring keyboard, but it's not a rubber dome keyboard either. I'm leaning towards foam disc keys myself. Basically, the only reason I got it was because it is an XT protocol keyboard which as far as I know, are pretty rare these days. Anyone got ideas?

As a random note, this keyboard was made in 1985 and when I bought it, it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in as long...

Icarium

18 Sep 2012, 18:17

Well, pull a cap! :)

neko2k

18 Sep 2012, 18:27

That's a surprise, it uses springs. It's not IBM buckling springs though, and the spring is easily removed from the keyboard.

Ascaii
The Beard

18 Sep 2012, 18:46

neko2k wrote:Image
That's a surprise, it uses springs. It's not IBM buckling springs though, and the spring is easily removed from the keyboard.
NMB "Space Invader" switches.

18 Sep 2012, 23:08

Tandon was a hard drive manufacturer, surprised they made keyboards. I have got to get an NMB board on of these days.

Daniel Beardsmore

27 Dec 2012, 01:43

Are these clicky, tactile or linear?

Also, if you feel up to it, what colour is under the spacebar?

So far, pairings include black/cyan (clicky) and grey/neon yellow (tactile).

neko2k

22 Feb 2013, 00:06

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Are these clicky, tactile or linear?

Also, if you feel up to it, what colour is under the spacebar?

So far, pairings include black/cyan (clicky) and grey/neon yellow (tactile).
Apologies for the bump.

Now. Under the spacebar, the key switch is white like what is pictured above, only it also has a small dot of red paint on it.

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Jan 2014, 15:54

Hello again.

Could I trouble you please for a photo of what's under the LED keycap keys?

I am assuming that the LED is separate from the switch, so it would be nice to have a clear demonstration of a keyboard from before Hi-Tek integrated the LEDs into the keycaps (those have been found in a 1986 model, and yours is a year earlier).

neko2k

18 Jan 2014, 21:44

My good camera has stopped working so here's the best I can do with my phone. You can use it on the wiki if you want.

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Jan 2014, 22:08

Thanks!

Kurk

18 Jan 2014, 22:10

Looks similar to my Philips keyboard:

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... t4798.html
Last edited by Kurk on 19 Jan 2014, 11:12, edited 2 times in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Jan 2014, 02:02

@neko2k/Kurk — would Sandy be permitted to use your photos on his NMB pages? This is his new chronological switch page, which is why I was specifically interested in confirming that the earliest boards didn't have the LED-integrated switches:

http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/nmb_hitek_sw.html

Kurk

19 Jan 2014, 11:13

Yes of course.
BTW, I really need to wiki this thing.

neko2k

20 Jan 2014, 15:38

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:@neko2k/Kurk — would Sandy be permitted to use your photos on his NMB pages? This is his new chronological switch page, which is why I was specifically interested in confirming that the earliest boards didn't have the LED-integrated switches:

http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/nmb_hitek_sw.html
Sure, you can use it there too.

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Jan 2014, 21:52

Thanks!

Return to “Keyboards”