[IC] DSA spherical

dirge

04 Feb 2013, 11:15

It's not his fault, he should be hybernating. But those are all upside down :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Feb 2013, 11:22

dirge wrote:It's not his fault, he should be hybernating. But those are all upside down :)
sorry, now it's too late.

edit: (kidding)

Piers Cawley

04 Feb 2013, 11:45

I'm with 7bit, on the BLANK* and ALPHA sets, but I'd also like to see a BLANK200 (one keyswitch). If the ALPHA set had extras of F & J without nipples, that would be marvellous; buying the whole of EXTRA just to get one pair of keys would be a tad painful.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Feb 2013, 11:51

Piers Cawley wrote:I'm with 7bit, on the BLANK* and ALPHA sets, but I'd also like to see a BLANK200 (one keyswitch). If the ALPHA set had extras of F & J without nipples, that would be marvellous; buying the whole of EXTRA just to get one pair of keys would be a tad painful.
I am okay at rearranging the keys, but I don't want to make a gazillion kits because: 1) it's a pain to maintain (and to sort when keys arrive); 2) it's a pain for people to place an order (especially noobs like myself)

pasph

04 Feb 2013, 12:34

If you make an ALPHA kit put in there all the keys that are complementary to the mods kit = less wasted keys for someone

Piers Cawley

04 Feb 2013, 12:56

I take your point, but for utility/filler keys liked the sized blanks, I'm not sure they add much complexity, do they? Asking for no nipple versions of F&J to be thrown in to alpha comes down to having a layout which would have either IH or FT nippled, neither of which is possible using the keys suggested. The beauty of a spherical layout from my point of view is that all the row profiles are the same, so the fact that I'm not running any of the common layouts doesn't preclude me from having decent keycaps. Having to buy the extras set just for two keys doesn't make me all that happy. If 'plain' FJ were part of the ALPHA set, I could just buy:

ALPHA
2xBLANK200P
4xBLANK200
14xBLANK100

And have two wasted keys (nippled f and j). If the breaks were as per your last proposed sets, I'd be looking at rather more than twice as many keys as I need. I realise that big groupings mean better prices, but I'm looking at a wasted key rate of something like 66%. That's got to be one hell of a saving.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Feb 2013, 13:32

I understand your point and no doubt I agree that higher granularity would let you spare some unwanted keys. Also this is a kinda advanced set, it's not really done for standard filco tkl (even though many will use for that probably).

that being said, making everyone happy is impossible. Any decision that would make someone happy would displease someone else. we have to come to a compromise which also meets the "don't make it too complex" paradigm. If you need more deep dished/nippled keys, no problem with that because the good part of DSA is that you can mix and match keys anyway you want.

that being said. If 7bit or anyone wants to handle the group buy in a different way, I'm ready to step back. I just want this to happen, don't care who makes it.

zulios

04 Feb 2013, 13:32

matt3o wrote:Someone added these to the kit during the night
keysofmystery.png
I suspect he is to blame!

"Cut" and "paste" but no "copy" key ? I'm surprised your squirrrel didn't include it !

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Feb 2013, 13:44

zulios wrote:"Cut" and "paste" but no "copy" key ? I'm surprised your squirrrel didn't include it !
never been asked for that.

pasph

04 Feb 2013, 14:01

matt3o wrote:Also this is a kinda advanced set, it's not really done for standard filco tkl
For what kind of keyboard is this set really done?
Just curious.

zulios

04 Feb 2013, 14:09

matt3o wrote:never been asked for that.
Oh ! My bad, sorry. I won't doubt the squirrel again.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Feb 2013, 14:09

pasph wrote:
matt3o wrote:Also this is a kinda advanced set, it's not really done for standard filco tkl
Just curious.
don't get me wrong. this set is done for ANY keyboard :)

its strong point is that the keys are remixable, so dvorak, colemak are easy to do and so various custom layouts such as 7bit's hypermini. We don't need the same key in ROW1-2-3-4 (eg: the return key or the caps/ctrl). Also remember that the only DSA spacebar we can use is 6u (not really standard). the others will be DCS. same goes for ISO Return and left stemmed caps.

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 18:50

Piers Cawley wrote:I take your point, but for utility/filler keys liked the sized blanks, I'm not sure they add much complexity, do they? Asking for no nipple versions of F&J to be thrown in to alpha comes down to having a layout which would have either IH or FT nippled, neither of which is possible using the keys suggested. The beauty of a spherical layout from my point of view is that all the row profiles are the same, so the fact that I'm not running any of the common layouts doesn't preclude me from having decent keycaps. Having to buy the extras set just for two keys doesn't make me all that happy. If 'plain' FJ were part of the ALPHA set, I could just buy:

ALPHA
2xBLANK200P
4xBLANK200
14xBLANK100

And have two wasted keys (nippled f and j). If the breaks were as per your last proposed sets, I'd be looking at rather more than twice as many keys as I need. I realise that big groupings mean better prices, but I'm looking at a wasted key rate of something like 66%. That's got to be one hell of a saving.
This would exactly be what I would prefer, too!

:-)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Feb 2013, 20:30

single key kits is something I cannot ask to my US pal/proxy...

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 20:39

ALPHA
2xBLANK200P
4xBLANK200
14xBLANK100

All these are available in other kits. Why not selling them separately?

Also: ALPHA and MODIFIER100, MODIFIER125, MODIFIER150 would be great!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Feb 2013, 20:44

7bit wrote:ALPHA
2xBLANK200P
4xBLANK200
14xBLANK100

do you need so many blanks (especially 1u)? if so I can definitely add more
7bit wrote:Also: ALPHA and MODIFIER100, MODIFIER125, MODIFIER150 would be great!
I'll have a look at what we have, maybe I can find a way to make it more modder friendly without the need of 200 kits

dirge

04 Feb 2013, 20:51

Can we have a squirrel keycap lol?

1Image

2Image

3Image

4Image

5Image

6foamyImage

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Feb 2013, 21:01

oh. my. god. i MUST MUST MUST have a foamy key cap.

"I see their psychological marketing trickery! Tricky Bastards!" - Foamy Squirrel, "Small, Medium, Large"

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Feb 2013, 21:33

oh my...

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Feb 2013, 21:36

matt3o wrote:oh my...
perhaps this should be a seperate GB^^

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 21:37

matt3o wrote:...

I'll have a look at what we have, maybe I can find a way to make it more modder friendly without the need of 200 kits
No, but everybody can use some blanks for the many keys for which there are no labels.

Should I re-arange the keys we already agreed upon?

Maybe we should do a squirrel design ourselves. The brown color would be perfect! Just the silhouette line ....

This one more key and we are done!

:-)

pasph

04 Feb 2013, 22:00

Instead of making an ALPHA kit just split kit1 in base & mods, like Klaxon GB

dirge

04 Feb 2013, 22:51

Ascaii wrote:oh. my. god. i MUST MUST MUST have a foamy key cap.

"I see their psychological marketing trickery! Tricky Bastards!" - Foamy Squirrel, "Small, Medium, Large"
lol i haven't looked at it in years but I know you're talking about the coffee shop one!

i like amitiville toaster

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 23:22

ALPHA and MODIFIER150 are ready:
Attachments
DSA_ALPHA.png
DSA_ALPHA.png (28.4 KiB) Viewed 7269 times
DSA_MODIFIER150.png
DSA_MODIFIER150.png (25.22 KiB) Viewed 7269 times

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 23:23

Please notice the 1.5 units Funny Paradox keys ....

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Feb 2013, 23:31

7bit wrote:Should I re-arange the keys we already agreed upon?
sure, give it a shot if you have time.

Melissa replied to my mail saying that as of now we already have 3 custom keys (c64, atari, coffee break). Each family needs its mold, so if a key is present in DCS it doesn't mean that can be used on DSA.

She also said that they actually have 2 stems 2u keys in DSA family. Regarding the 6u spacebar stems position this is what she says:
The DSA spacebar has fixed mounting positions. Measuring from the
center mount(post) outward, the two outer mounts are 1.500" from the center
mount. This is slightly smaller than our DCS 6.2 unit spacebar which
measures 1.575" from the center mount.
That's all for now, still waiting for the quote.

7bit

04 Feb 2013, 23:42

The DSA spacebar has fixed mounting positions. Measuring from the
center mount(post) outward, the two outer mounts are 1.500" from the center
mount. This is slightly smaller than our DCS 6.2 unit spacebar which
measures 1.575" from the center mount.
These are 2 units left and right from the center mount.

Looking up the list in the wikit (http://deskthority.net/wiki/Space) gives the following result:
It is not suitable for G80-1800 and alike. I don;t have the measures for the Razer BlackWidow, which also requires a 6 units space bar.

I can offer to make a mount plate where this 6 units space bar would fit on the HyperMini or other keyboards in the upcomming Hyper group buy, so it might be usefull to order some of these space bars....

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Feb 2013, 00:32

7bit wrote:Please notice the 1.5 units Funny Paradox keys ....
so you would split the keys by size, is that what you mean? + the blank keys

Piers Cawley

05 Feb 2013, 01:24

pasph wrote:
Just curious.
In my case, a Maltron, with the Maltron layout which has sufficiently many dodgy mx blacks in it that I'd rather were browns that I'm just going to say sod it and pull everything out and then resolder an ergodox style matrix for a radically reduced 50-60 key 6KRO layout with a Teensy 2+ doing controller duties. By default it has something like 130 keys, but the ones I care about are the letters and a jesse style blue shift arrangement on the thumb clusters. All the 2x1s are vertically aligned and don't match anything from the keypad set, so are better off blank (plus, I rather like the aesthetic of blank keys for most of the modifiers. It's not like I look at 'em when I'm typing after all. The two switch 2x1s would be useful because this is an old layout martron with 8 key thumb clusters and I want to change the two lower 1x1s of one of the columns into 2x1s and there's not enough space to cut a new hole for the switch, but a two switch key should work.

And yes, I realise that there aren't many like it, but it seems that spherical sets are going to be ideal for people like me who are tinkering with Maltron/Kinesis layouts and cases.

Piers Cawley

05 Feb 2013, 01:33

matt3o wrote:
7bit wrote:ALPHA
2xBLANK200P
4xBLANK200
14xBLANK100

Oh yes. See my other response on this thread. I can live with using old Maltron keys turned upside down or something, but that rather defeats the purpose of buying nice keys in the first place :). If I were feeling flush, I'd be after another 30 blank 1x1s in various colours to fill the (essentially unused) centre portion of the board.
matt3o wrote: I'll have a look at what we have, maybe I can find a way to make it more modder friendly without the need of 200 kits
I'm not sure I'd go so far as wanting the MODIFIERXXX sets, unless there was a VERTMODIFIER200, but I'm betting I _would_ be the only customer for that. Blanks in all the stock colours would be handy though.

I'll shut up now, shall I?

Return to “Group buys”