[IC] HyperMicro and HyperMini Keyboard

7bit

29 Nov 2012, 10:09

sth wrote:...
just get GH60, it's already in beta testing.... exactly this layout, it's a clone of 356mini layout allowing use of 101-key cherry sets without any additional keys needed.
- GH60 does not come with holes for LEDs in the switches
- GH60 does not allow for ergonomic layouts
- GH60 does not support a pointing stick
- GH60 does not have soldering points for mouse-buttons
:roll:

rindorbrot

29 Nov 2012, 18:25

What about the HyperPoo ISO, was that just for the lulz or are you serious about making a thread for it?
Because that's still the most tempting layout for me ;)

7bit

29 Nov 2012, 18:43

rindorbrot wrote:What about the HyperPoo ISO, was that just for the lulz or are you serious about making a thread for it?
Because that's still the most tempting layout for me ;)
First I will make the PCB for the 5x15 then comes the rest.

Soarer

29 Nov 2012, 21:00

7bit wrote:
sth wrote:...
just get GH60, it's already in beta testing.... exactly this layout, it's a clone of 356mini layout allowing use of 101-key cherry sets without any additional keys needed.
- GH60 does not come with holes for LEDs in the switches
- GH60 does not allow for ergonomic layouts
- GH60 does not support a pointing stick
- GH60 does not have soldering points for mouse-buttons
To finish first, first you have to finish. :lol:

Ekaros

29 Nov 2012, 21:06

Hmm, how much do I have to loan money for whole kit?

7bit

29 Nov 2012, 21:08

By when GH60 is beta tested, my design will be finished.

When the GH60 group buy starts, I will start mine!

Now I've got a more advanced design which will take into account all the design flaws revealed through the beta testing of the GH60.

Everybody is jumping on the Hyper group buy ordering the HyperMini!

Except for Hardcode GHers, nobody will buy the GH60 - an old design.
:evilgeek:
Ekaros wrote:Hmm, how much do I have to loan money for whole kit?
Just send 1000 EUR and I send you a Christmas card with the PCB layout as decoration.

Ekaros

29 Nov 2012, 21:22

Why haven't I found this thread earlier? :(

Finaly a 60% board with something for ISO-lowers.

Now I only need to find 70% board next...

Hmm, if it's one PCB the whole layout is almost up to coding teensy? So I can ponder some nice desings for bottom and second row...

7bit

29 Nov 2012, 21:26

There will be a HyperPoo (6x16) and a HyperMicro (4x12).

I just have to finish the PCB for the HyperMini. Once it is fully done, all other PCBs will be plain sailing because they are less conmplicated and I can use the experience fronm the Mini.

Ekaros

29 Nov 2012, 21:28

7bit wrote:There will be a HyperPoo (6x16) and a HyperMicro (4x12).

I just have to finish the PCB for the HyperMini. Once it is fully done, all other PCBs will be plain sailing because they are less conmplicated and I can use the experience fronm the Mini.
Good thing I have 2,7k€ of un-used student loan ready to be loaned ;D

7bit

29 Nov 2012, 21:31

I can send you 6.3k Cherry switches (3500 reds and 2800 clears) if you send me the 2,7k€!

Ekaros

29 Nov 2012, 21:33

7bit wrote:I can send you 6.3k Cherry switches (3500 reds and 2800 clears) if you send me the 2,7k€!
I think I can live without 60 keyboards... I am still a student...

7bit

29 Nov 2012, 21:43

You can sell the switches to other students, so they will later buy Hyper keyboards.

:-)

gimpster

29 Nov 2012, 22:17

7bit wrote:When the GH60 group buy starts, I will start mine!
And it will end sometime in 2015. 8-) Starting a group buy has never been your problem...finishing one and making sure people get what they expected is your problem.

Are you going to prototype and test your design after it's done or just straight to production? Be careful that you don't confuse a more complicated design as a more advanced design. All I see in yours is unnecessary complexity, which will be harder to test.

simkev

30 Nov 2012, 17:07

How about a 70% PCB in addition to all 60% and 75%? Lets combine two good concepts into the ultimate compact keyboard. Herer are my quick design drafs on that.

7bit

30 Nov 2012, 17:12

simkev wrote:How about a 70% PCB in addition to all 60% and 75%? Lets combine two good concepts into the ultimate compact keyboard. Herer are my quick design drafs on that.
Something similar to your design is already in the pipeline...

7bit

30 Nov 2012, 17:15

gimpster wrote:
7bit wrote:When the GH60 group buy starts, I will start mine!
And it will end sometime in 2015. 8-) Starting a group buy has never been your problem...finishing one and making sure people get what they expected is your problem.

Are you going to prototype and test your design after it's done or just straight to production? Be careful that you don't confuse a more complicated design as a more advanced design. All I see in yours is unnecessary complexity, which will be harder to test.
Round 3 ended except for replacements.
Unicomp ended in a desaster.
Phantom ended for real, except for 2 mount plates and an unrelated key cap.
Round 4 production will ending really soon.
Hyper did not even start for real.
Round 5 is a sure thing to start somewhere in 2013 ...

My plan is:

Finish the design as good as I can.
Then, experts will take a look if everything seems right.
A prototype will be ordered and tested, by experts.
When it works, the group buy starts for real.

:-)

simkev

30 Nov 2012, 17:37

7bit wrote:
simkev wrote:How about a 70% PCB in addition to all 60% and 75%? Lets combine two good concepts into the ultimate compact keyboard. Herer are my quick design drafs on that.
Something similar to your design is already in the pipeline...
Don't tease me! Tell me more for Christ sake!

suka
frobiac

30 Nov 2012, 17:43

Inspired by these designs I quickly prototyped a simple variation of the 7bit version since I always wanted to have another keyboard with my custom AdNW layout, but more portable than the split BlueCube that still is my daily work equipment.
A complete layout hides beneath - but ignore all letters
A complete layout hides beneath - but ignore all letters
7bit-full.JPG (854.68 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
And after a few minutes of simulated typing I must say it feels pretty impressive: Not quite perfect like a split board in my opinion, but the symmetric stagger together with a larger hand separation makes typing feel very close to that freely adjustable setup. And the clean looks of it plus the tiny footprint will make this my next project, I guess :D - how convenient that I ordered spare teensies in advance, but which switches shall I use?
Which switch? And split again?
Which switch? And split again?
7bit-switches.JPG (823.6 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
The middle part will house trackpoint and teensy, and I feel confident that minimalizing down to only 5 columns per hand is the right way to go - I haven't been using the outer pinky columns anymore since switching to AdNW.

Guess 7bit will then have the honor of picking a name for this design once finished after starting this whole idea again, and kindly organizing my supply of switches.
Last edited by suka on 30 Nov 2012, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

Ascaii
The Beard

30 Nov 2012, 17:54

Suka, that is impressive, as usual. Is there any chance you could make the files for that plate available? I want one.

suka
frobiac

30 Nov 2012, 18:06

Ascaii wrote:Suka, that is impressive, as usual. Is there any chance you could make the files for that plate available? I want one.
Thanks - sure, I can post the blender 3D sources or STL's for direct use at shapeways next week. But for now I did not design a full case around it yet, to be more flexible and produce cheaper :)

7bit

30 Nov 2012, 18:30

Not quite the same, but similar:
Attachments
HyperC_PCB.png
HyperC_PCB.png (32.41 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

Soarer

30 Nov 2012, 23:49

7bit wrote: Round 3 ... except for replacements.
Means NOT ENDED!!

Round 3: 2010 .. ????

Spanning a whopping FOUR YEARS minimum and counted as a success by 7bit :roll:

7bit

01 Dec 2012, 00:16

Better ask iMav why he did not invite Ripster to take some pictures of the key caps so we know the errors before shipping!
:o

Also, Round 3 started 2 years ago and shipping only 1.5 years ago.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Dec 2012, 00:23

You guys should get together and bitch it out.

And then focus and work together on the qHACK. :evilgeek:

Soarer

01 Dec 2012, 00:33

7bit wrote:Better ask iMav why he did not invite Ripster to take some pictures of the key caps so we know the errors before shipping!

2010 to 2013 is four different calendar years, so R3 will have spanned at least four years :ugeek:

When R3 replacements ship, you can call it ended.

Ekaros

01 Dec 2012, 00:34

Soarer wrote:
7bit wrote:Better ask iMav why he did not invite Ripster to take some pictures of the key caps so we know the errors before shipping!

2010 to 2013 is four different calendar years, so R3 will have spanned at least four years :ugeek:

Are they going to ship? ;D

Hmm, I should probably find a board for my keys...

Soarer

01 Dec 2012, 00:36

Ekaros wrote:
Soarer wrote:

Are they going to ship? ;D
I'd advise continuation of breathing.

TheQsanity

01 Dec 2012, 09:42

I am amazed at how you all work with all these different ideas and mockups. This must not be your first times. Was it as easy your first times?

Ascaii
The Beard

01 Dec 2012, 09:47

TheQsanity wrote:I am amazed at how you all work with all these different ideas and mockups. This must not be your first times. Was it as easy your first times?
Its never easy the first time, but we all managed somehow :lol:

simkev

21 Dec 2012, 13:10

I've finally narrowed down the layout I want to go with, now I just need someone to make a mounting plate CAD file for me, 7bit? If it Ain't to much trouble.
Anyhow, this is what it looks like: Image
And also, since I am working on a case for this beauty will the PCB CAD files be public so we can get the right screw hole line ups?
Last edited by simkev on 21 Dec 2012, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Group buys”