[COMPLETED] Laser Cut Prototyping mini-GB

Muirium
µ

12 Nov 2013, 17:48

matt3o wrote:
Muirium wrote:Welcome back to the old world. Now, about those stabs and o-rings you mailed to yourself…
and Bluetooth and HHKB :P
Sounds like quite a project!

I got my missing R4 SPH caps from 7bit today, so the stabs are keenly anticipated! And of course progress on the Bluetooth front.

Muirium
µ

21 Nov 2013, 23:13

Fiiiiiiiiinally completed the filing for my mini USB port. Instead of filing down the Amphenol socket, I filed the case to clean up some blemishes around the area anyway. So I'm just a homemade USB extender (and a few right sized bolts) away from the finished Mk.1 keyboard. What could possibly go wrong?

Well… some short circuits, clearly, as I'm typing on the board (with a mini USB cable going through the empty hole for the port again) and left shift is triggering the function layer every once in a while! The last time I did it up nice and tight, right function was firing its entire column so I bet it's that again, but on a different pin. Only happens when the case is screwed up tight, so I need to insulate the Teensy from the matrix better. But mostly there now!

Oh, and stabs.

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 16:41

Right lads, Matty wants to see your work. So here's where I'm at with the shiny one:

Sphericals, accept no substitute.
IMG_8125.JPG
IMG_8125.JPG (704.52 KiB) Viewed 21704 times
Matteo's 2nd generation design, with its hidden bolts, really brings caps right to the fore. The look when you're using the keyboard is a wall of caps. Pure minimalism. About a kilogram of it, underneath!

Still shiny:
IMG_2215.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG (344.85 KiB) Viewed 21704 times
IMG_2219.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG (528.04 KiB) Viewed 21704 times
Of course, still no stabs yet either. And row 1 wasn't quite complete when I shot those. Here it is now:
IMG_3303.JPG
IMG_3303.JPG (481.61 KiB) Viewed 21704 times
IMG_3308.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG (453.86 KiB) Viewed 21704 times
IMG_3316.JPG
IMG_3316.JPG (570.05 KiB) Viewed 21704 times
And the side view, of the compartment for Bluetooth ambitions to come:
IMG_8126.JPG
IMG_8126.JPG (548.68 KiB) Viewed 21704 times
Space Saver, achieved!
IMG_2276.JPG
IMG_2276.JPG (608.37 KiB) Viewed 21704 times
Shinier on the underside than anyone sensible likes theirs on the top.
IMG_2268.JPG
IMG_2268.JPG (361.25 KiB) Viewed 21704 times
It's truly my kind of keyboard! It's currently my main one, in fact, thanks to a bit of Soarer Inside. I'm really thoroughly chuffed with how it's turned out, and owe a deep thanks to Matt3o once again. Magnifico!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2013, 17:01

Muirium f*&!^*g nominated!

really great board Mr. Muir! Looking forward to seeing it on Round 5

Soon I'll post the HHFox :)

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 17:09

It's been a long fox coming. Expectations are high!

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Nov 2013, 19:35

Muirium that looks absolutely amazing. Congratulations!

Also, nice SSK, I'm jealous :lol: I finally got my hands on an M and I'm loving it.

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 19:43

Thanks. We can exchange jealousy: I'm still really wowed by that CNC case you made.
So, so, so shiny! I'm thoroughly one-dimensional that way. More shine!

As for SSKs, keep an eye on Tinnie. He's where mine came from. I bet it's not the last.

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Nov 2013, 19:57

8-)

I am well aware of tin's amazing recent finds. I was (and still am) out of cash, so unfortunately wasn't able to pick one up. Let's hope he continues to find more when I do have the funds :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Nov 2013, 17:29

HHFox sneak pick

More info here

mtl

24 Nov 2013, 18:28

Looks awesome, Muirium! It's great to see how the bottom compartment turned out. That's a hell of a keyboard. :-) It'll be interesting to see how your bluetooth efforts go. Do you think it'll need an external antenna, or a window (similar to the ipad)? Either way the compartment is cool to have for packing in moar electronics. :-)

Muirium
µ

24 Nov 2013, 18:38

Moar electronics indeed!

As a layered body, I've got the option to swap out one of the metal ones for a layer of acrylic, or to take out a section at the back for an RF window. Matt3o marked one of the layers "Don't Use!" in my parcel, and right enough I haven't needed it. That's the lucky spare I can mod to try out a window, so I can always abort and go back to my all-steel USB only body if I need to.

But that homemade PCB he's showing off today, technology has marched ahead of me and my naked diodes!

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

26 Nov 2013, 23:13

Finally decided on switches. Swapped the springs to 62g and lubed them all up with a mix of 201 and 103 which took me most of yesterday.
2_3.jpg
2_3.jpg (682.7 KiB) Viewed 21581 times
Dressed it up with some caps to test if some of the switches was badly lubed... and just because.
2_2.JPG
2_2.JPG (647.36 KiB) Viewed 21581 times
I found the Nixdorf Clear Tops was rather scratchy compared to the lubed blacks, so they have been greased as well.
Overall I am pretty satisfied, I just need to file a bit more of the spacebar stab holes before I can start wiring it all up.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Nov 2013, 23:17

lovely wall of caps, broad!

I'm really glad this workshop turned out so well! congrats to everybody. If there ever be interest I'm available at organizing more.

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2013, 23:27

Ah, Nixdorf vintage blacks. Cherry's one and only truly top rate linear switch. Quite what you're up to with a clicky return meanwhile I've no idea!

Oh, Broadmonkey, how much filing did you have to do to get the Cherry stabs to work in the end?

I'm probably in for another round in a while. (I'll have caps to spare by then.) A function keyless TKL seems to be what I have in mind. Mirror steel or aluminium? Hmm…

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

27 Nov 2013, 13:59

Yeah, just like I have different profiled keycaps depending on row, I have different switches depending on function. I have clicky on Esc and Enter since I like to slam those! Capslock uses Clear and Brown on WIN. But what you can't see is that I have also different springs on some of the keys, e.g. WASD is not 62g but springs from MX Red switches.
This is how my Keycool (dusty) is regarding switches and I love it!
1.jpg
1.jpg (319.56 KiB) Viewed 21545 times
Unfortunately I have lent it to a friend, so I can't use the brown switches from it, otherwise I would have gone for the same switch layout.

I didn't change to Cherry PCB mounted stabilizers, as that could easily go wrong and destroy the plate. I just noticed the spacebar still hits the stabs on the way down, just enough to make it feel scratchy, so that is what I have to fix.

snoopy

27 Nov 2013, 15:27

Seeing all those nice results, I would definitely join another round, when it would happen somewhen after christmas :D

Vierax

27 Nov 2013, 16:15

yeah, a second Round to start the next year ! :)

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2013, 17:33

Highly recommended! It was a great result this year.

I suggest planning your layouts now, so you know exactly what you want when the project starts. Be sure to get the right caps, and if you're ordering switches from 7bit, the earlier the better! Being stuck waiting on components is no fun.

Oh, speaking of which, stabs?

Vierax

27 Nov 2013, 18:24

A lot of Tipro caps and some MX already waiting in frozen bags :) I have an SVG file almost ready, just some small changes to do. But I also have the prototype of a 3D plate with some folding to do (origami style) this will be tricky but I cant start before my SPH pack is delivered to calculate angles and place needed (with Cherry or Tipro keys, it wont certainly fit after for SA profile even if I let some extra space)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2013, 18:31

I envision Round 5 to be delivered August 2015... so that might be the right moment for a second round :P

Muir: you need stabs?
Last edited by matt3o on 27 Nov 2013, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2013, 18:33

So glad I bought those Round 4 SPHs off you, Matt, or I'd be completely hosed! No DSA Dolch yet either.

Vierax

27 Nov 2013, 19:02

matt3o wrote:I envision Round 5 to be delivered August 2015... so that might be the right moment for a second round :P
:lol:
As it goes I may have no Honey ordered at all, so I'll buy a Kindle (Black Friday, isn't it ?)
Riumuir wrote:So glad I bought those Round 4 SPHs off you, Matt, or I'd be completely hosed! No DSA Dolch yet either.
It seems they have issues in production as with the stepped capslock. It was wise to cancel my order and wait for my blank DSA set that I can directly buy on SP webshop and in PBT.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2013, 19:08

DSA Dolch is such a gorgeous set. I think it's worth waiting. At this point I think it will be shipped not earlier than March 2014.

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2013, 19:40

matt3o wrote:Muir: you need stabs?
Sure do! What you got?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2013, 20:26

Muirium wrote:
matt3o wrote:Muir: you need stabs?
Sure do! What you got?
all costar, 2u and 6.25u (2u are good for up to 2.75u of course, maybe even 3u actually). No way to get cherry mx stabs, sorry (even though I don't like them so...)

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2013, 20:31

My plate is all Costar so that's fine by me. One 6.25 and two little ones required, please! (Might be after more so I've spares for the next one, depending on your stock.)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2013, 20:42

do I have anything else you needed? I don't remember if I was holding something for you (except for the dsa dolch).

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2013, 20:48

The only other stuff is the gear for Bluetooth, where I'm following your lead.

As for DSA Dolch I joined your order for the main kit and the ISO kit (via the second GB) for extras like my HHKB style keys. And I'd love an LED windowed cap or two if you can spare them, for a layer lock light.

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2013, 00:24

Vierax wrote:I also have the prototype of a 3D plate with some folding to do (origami style) this will be tricky but I cant start before my SPH pack is delivered to calculate angles and place needed (with Cherry or Tipro keys, it wont certainly fit after for SA profile even if I let some extra space)
Origami? On a plate? I'm getting chills. What!? Paint me intrigued.

One of my favourite things about IBMs is their curved backplate. It makes caps swappable across all rows, while keeping a nice curved top surface for typing. Are you up to something ever so cunning to make your own version of that?

SA's are huge. Looking at my 60% now, there's slender space to tilt the rows together. But DSA, and flat Tipro caps are a whole other story. You could well be onto something.

Vierax

28 Nov 2013, 13:04

Muirium wrote:
Vierax wrote:I also have the prototype of a 3D plate with some folding to do (origami style) this will be tricky but I cant start before my SPH pack is delivered to calculate angles and place needed (with Cherry or Tipro keys, it wont certainly fit after for SA profile even if I let some extra space)
Origami? On a plate? I'm getting chills. What!? Paint me intrigued.

One of my favourite things about IBMs is their curved backplate. It makes caps swappable across all rows, while keeping a nice curved top surface for typing. Are you up to something ever so cunning to make your own version of that?
The folding thing is mainly for the cardboard prototype. The curved plate is a good idea but must be difficult to adapt to my design (reminder of the 2D) The goal is to raise the four columns containing the 2unit keys to 90°, the function row to 30° (maybe less, I have to test it) and more tricky to make for each thumb a progressive 0 to 90° raising and keeping the 90° turning, something like a bowl form but with facets. If I add the IBM curve to all of this, I shall be not far from Jeff's Cladeon :o
SA's are huge. Looking at my 60% now, there's slender space to tilt the rows together. But DSA, and flat Tipro caps are a whole other story. You could well be onto something.
It could be difficult to deal with SA since there are multiple rows and it's hard to find a full row3 set with legends even in qwerty. Also between the Commando profile (used now as a standard on GH) and 7bit's there is a lot of differences so you're right, I should forget SA and deal with DSA (I really don't like Tipro's : they're really too flat to be ergonomic for a typist)
Waiting for a dye-subbed bépo set… maybe one day :) for the moment some blanks should be enough.

Return to “Group buys”