[Group Buy]UV Printed 8 Bit MegaMan, Commander Keen, Pac Man

nubbinator

09 Jul 2013, 00:37

Cross posted from Geekhack

This is a non-profit group buy for Qwerkeys UV printed key caps. This is a relatively new process that Qwerkeys has started that allows for dyesub type caps on any color cap. For those worried about resilience, they appear to wear well and seem to be very scratch resistant according to several different members who have tried them out. How long they'll last isn't certain yet, but they do seem to be resilient. Also worth noting is the fact that Qwerkeys caps are thicker ABS caps that are more akin to GMK caps than the thin Signature Plastics doubleshots.

I will be in charge of U.S./North America/rest of the world invoicing an ddistribution and BunnyLake has graciously agreed to handle UK and EU invoicing and distribution.

So without further ado:

Order Form

If you have any troubles with the form or would like to change an order, contact me. Since there are so many options for key cap combinations and colors, drop down menus for choosing your caps was the easiest way of doing it for me. If you would like more sets than there are drop down options, order additional sets in the comments on that page. Sorry if the causes any confusion or difficulties. If there are any glaring issues, I will do my best to make the form more easily understood.

Deadline for ordering: August 10th

I don't want this to be a long drawn out group buy, so I am making the deadline variable; however, it will not close before the samples are in. If we hit 500 before the samples are in, it will close 5 days after the samples are posted. Since each cap in each pack counts toward the cap count (1 arrow cluster or function pack = 4 caps), it will be easy to hit the MOQ.

And it looks like Dan and I had a miscommunication about the MOQ, will give more info once I know more.

Key Caps and Key Cap Colors

The UV printing is done on Qwerkeys J-series caps which are Cherry profile caps.

Each set will be available in two base colors, Black and White. In addition, the video game packs will be available in two different shades of grey that should approximate Nintendo grey according to Dan at Qwerkeys. The "Leaf" caps will also be available in Brunswick Green and Magenta.

The colors aren't completely accurate, but here are the cap colors from Qwerkeys:
Spoiler:
Key Cap Mock Ups:

The key caps, for the most part will be either in Function/Number Row or Arrow cluster sets. There are some exceptions that are available in different rows and some that are only available in one row, but most have at least two row options.

These are not the final designs, but should closely represent what the final caps will look like.

MegaMan, Rush, and E Tank:

MegaMan

Rush & E-Tank

Commander Keen:

Pac-Man:

Pac-Man Ghosts

Pac-Man & Cherry

Pac-Man Vulnerable Ghosts

Space Invaders:

Color Space Invaders

B&W Space Invaders

"Leaf":

Group Buy Costs:

Pricing of caps:

50+ = £2/$3 each
100+ = £1.50/$2.25 each
200+ = £1.20/$1.80 each
500+ = £1.00/$1.50 each

Dan (Sleabo) and I agreed on a £1.00=$1.50 USD rate in advance to simplify things.

Each cap in a set counts against the MOQ. So a Commander Keen, Space Invader, MegaMan, and Pac-Man Ghost set in an order would be 16 caps, roughly 33% of the MOQ.

And it looks like Dan and I had a miscommunication about the MOQ, will give more info once I know more.

Group Buy Fees:

There will be 15% added to the cost of the caps in the order to cover drop outs, chargebacks, or any other additional fees that may arise in the course of the group buy. Since this is a non-profit group buy, any money left over from covering incidental costs will be donated to a reputable and worthwhile charity and/or Geek Hack.

There is also a completely optional $1 group buy fee to help compensate BunnyLake and I for our time sorting, checking, and distributing the key caps. For me, this will be used much like the 15% fee to cover any incidental costs that might spring up and will be donated to a worthwhile charity. I know BunnyLake has something similar in mind.

Shipping costs:

The initial shipping cost to BunnyLake and I will be distributed evenly across the orders on a cap ordered basis. For example, if the total shipping is $25 and we hit 250 key caps, $0.10 will be added per key cap. So an order of 10 caps will have an additional $1 added to it.

Shipping to you will be done via bubble mailer. BunnyLake and I are not responsible for any lost packages or key caps damaged in transit. If you want more robust packaging, contact us and we can give you a quote for beefier packaging.

U.S. and International Shipping will be handled by me and UK/EU shipping will be handled by BunnyLake. Shipping will be based on weight and shipping estimates are based on ordering one of each set. Larger orders may incur higher shipping prices. Shipping rate estimates are as follows:

- U.S. shipping: $3-5

- International shipping: $6-9

- UK shipping: £1.50-2.50

- EU shipping: £2.50-5

All PayPal fees are the responsibility of the buyer.
Last edited by nubbinator on 19 Jul 2013, 23:41, edited 7 times in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Jul 2013, 01:02

I'm definitely in — I never expected anything like this to become available. (I see that their new website uses my half-finished Cherry MX diagram in the masthead :)

nubbinator

09 Jul 2013, 23:04

Some answers to questions asked on GH.

- The Pac-Man dots are R1 to go with the Pac-Man Function/Number Row sets.

- Pictures of grey caps are incoming from Qwerkeys to give you a better idea of the color.

- Samples are ~2 weeks out.

- The caps will have a base layer under the color layer to ensure a uniform color across different cap colors.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Jul 2013, 01:34

I would have gotten the pacman and space invaders set if it wasn't paypal only and profits wouldn't have gone to some other forum!

nubbinator

10 Jul 2013, 01:45

webwit wrote:I would have gotten the pacman and space invaders set if it wasn't paypal only and profits wouldn't have gone to some other forum!
You can do Amazon Payments if you would like, just specify in the comments. I actually prefer Amazon Payments, but it's easier if most people just pay the same way, especially when it comes time to pay Qwerkeys.

More than likely the profits will be going to a non-profit. BunnyLake and I were talking about giving a donation in SmallFry's name to his local Ronald McDonald House. Maybe I should change it to the forum with the most participants in the GB will have part of the proceeds donated to them. Unless it's /r/mechanicalkeyboards since they have no operating costs.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Jul 2013, 01:57

Darn, I got rid of Amazon too some years back after this stunt:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/de ... ers-amazon
Just because I CAN!
Me and my principles. The possitive news is my wallet is doing well.

nubbinator

10 Jul 2013, 02:12

Well, outside of Bitcoin, which I refuse to do, the only other option is a mailed check. I think you're looking for an out though ;) I won't hold it against you though.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Jul 2013, 02:18

I use direct bank transfer. Admittedly, banks are not much better (or arguably worse), but one gotta have a bank account.

nubbinator

10 Jul 2013, 02:45

Hit up BunnyLake at GH and see if he'd be willing to do that for the GB since he's handling EU distribution.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Jul 2013, 03:09

Shit, I'm banned on gh.

Neal

10 Jul 2013, 03:43

If you really desperately want some caps feel free to pm me webwit, I'll just add it to my order then split it up when I get it and mail it off to you. (Same country.)

hKing

10 Jul 2013, 09:39

Ordered. Mega Man was my hero back in the good old days!

Setsuna

12 Jul 2013, 17:37

I played Commander Keen for hours when I was a child. I had the game in an old 3 1⁄2-inch floppy disk... Good old times!
But I ordered some space invaders ;P

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jul 2013, 17:48

You call a 3½" floppy disk "old"?
it was the last of its kind, following the 5¼" disk, itself the successor of the 8" disk, which both had a flexible instead of a sturdy case.
My reserve computer still has a 3½" and even a 5¼" disk drive :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2013, 18:22

I remember dismissing, and then pining for, those dinky little 3.5" floppies that weren't even floppy yet still had higher capacity than mine and could fit in a pocket where Shugart never intended!

But even so, that doesn't make my Commander Keen disks any less old.

I presume everyone recalls his cameo in Doom II?

nubbinator

12 Jul 2013, 19:34

With the sizes of orders this has been getting, we only have 4-5 more orders until we hit the lowest price point. Right now we're at ~370 orders and I haven't counted the caps I'm going to order in that yet.
Muirium wrote:I remember dismissing, and then pining for, those dinky little 3.5" floppies that weren't even floppy yet still had higher capacity than mine and could fit in a pocket where Shugart never intended!

But even so, that doesn't make my Commander Keen disks any less old.

I presume everyone recalls his cameo in Doom II?
I led a sheltered childhood. Commander Keen was okay, but Doom was taboo. That's pretty funny though.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Jul 2013, 21:59

You mean there was someone else who wasn't allowed to play Doom? I loved Commander Keen IV; by the time I got a PC, the sound and graphics of the older episodes were a bit passé.

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2013, 23:23

Once your parents rely on you, completely, for tech support, their bans tended to be quite short-lived. By the time Doom came along, they couldn't care less. You're just banging keys after all.

nubbinator

13 Jul 2013, 20:24

And it looks like we have hit the 500 cap threshold. I have to double check the numbers, but we should be there. As such, the GB will close 5 days after the samples come in and are posted.

maxmalkav
dye hard

13 Jul 2013, 20:32

how can orders be modifies? I want add the Pacman Ghosts (black keycaps, number row) to my order :)

nubbinator

13 Jul 2013, 21:27

maxmalkav wrote:how can orders be modifies? I want add the Pacman Ghosts (black keycaps, number row) to my order :)
PMing is best, but I went ahead and added a set to your order.

maxmalkav
dye hard

14 Jul 2013, 00:52

Thanks ALOT ;)
Spoiler:

nubbinator

17 Jul 2013, 19:49

The Order Confirmation Form is now up. Please double check your orders and contact me if you see anything that needs correcting.

nubbinator

06 Aug 2013, 22:45

First off, please double check that your order is correct in this spreadsheet:

Order Confirmation Spreadsheet

If there is a note to contact me about something, please do so. I try my best to double check I have everything correct, but I am not perfect and when organizing something like this that has more complex options than normal, errors are bound to pop up. If there are errors in your order and you do not contact me to correct them, I will not be held responsible since I have given ample opportunity to contact me and correct them. If you have any questions about your order at all or the spreadsheet, please contact and I will gladly help you with them.

Now onto samples. I got some sample images in today, so that means that ordering will close on the 11th and we will go to invoicing shortly after. Keep in mind that there are still some small things to work out with the caps (such as placement on the cap) and there are colors being used that won't be used for the caps we send off to be made, but these give you a good idea of what the final product will look like.

There are additional images in this album.

Lastly, for those of you who asked about the greys being used, I just recently got feedback and it will be the middle grey and the one directly to the right of it (#3 and #4 if you count from the left):

If you do not like these greys or one of the greys, let me know now. It is still something that can be changed if there is a sufficient push to do so. These two greys were picked though because we were trying to get as close as we could to the original Nintendo greys.

nubbinator

20 Aug 2013, 00:18

Now in the invoicing stage.

hKing

20 Aug 2013, 19:52

Is it possible to change my order from black to white megaman ? If so, please change it :)

nubbinator

21 Aug 2013, 09:39

hKing wrote:Is it possible to change my order from black to white megaman ? If so, please change it :)
Done, but I won't be able to make any additional color changes since I'm starting up the order tally.

hKing

21 Aug 2013, 16:41

Thanks!

I just paid.

Return to “Group buys”