Leetgion Hellion Gaming Mouse: A mouse with MX Blue

sixty
Gasbag Guru

24 Apr 2012, 16:33

Looks like someone finally made a mouse with an MX Blue switch :?

http://www.nikktech.com/main/articles/p ... l=&start=1

HzFaq

24 Apr 2012, 16:44

I can feel my k:d/APM increasing just by reading about it.

off

24 Apr 2012, 17:00

Hey now, someone already did; remembers something about slaughtered DeathAdders...

but 16.7MILLION colours...
*edit: the blue is on the thumb, could be nice for setting off that a-bomb or something

itlnstln

24 Apr 2012, 17:11

Besides size concerns, would a Cherry switch really be beneficial for a mouse? Even so, would a blue be the best choice. I would thing a clear, brown or maybe red would be better.

Maarten

24 Apr 2012, 17:17

Meh... i still vote Cherry for keyboards and Alps for mice;

off

24 Apr 2012, 17:25

Maarten wrote:Meh... i still vote Cherry for keyboards and Alps for mice
I prefer alps for 'boards instead of mice; logi uses those and damn them doublescroll issues.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

24 Apr 2012, 17:30

All well and good, until you need to double click...

bhtooefr

24 Apr 2012, 17:34

And if you try to do it quickly, and hold right around the right point, you instead get a quintuple click. :P

Julle

25 Apr 2012, 16:43

Double clicking a Cherry MX blue is no problem at all. I don't see any reason why it couldn't work.

Edit. I didn't realise it was a thumb switch. Now, that can be little tricky.
Last edited by Julle on 25 Apr 2012, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

RC-1140

25 Apr 2012, 16:49

Julle wrote:Double clicking a Cherry MX blue is no problem at all. I don't see any reason why it couldn't work.
Well, the problem is the hysteresis, which is pretty huge on Cherry MX Blues. Once you're over the actuation point you have to go up pretty far to be able to click it again. It avoids key chattering, but if you're used to double tap by lifting your finger only a little then it gets problematic.

ripster

25 Apr 2012, 17:00

IBM called that a benefit in their buckling spring patent.

Less typos.

RC-1140

25 Apr 2012, 17:34

Well, there is nothing wrong about hysteresis when typing, but for gaming? In RTS games it might be great, but in most other games linear or only tactile switches are suited better IMHO. But there are people out there who play FPS games with Blues, so it always a matter of opinion. I like linear switches for gaming and Clicky Tactile Switches for typing. But I wouldn't want a mouse with a Cherry MX switch. Too much travel.

off

25 Apr 2012, 22:13

RC-1140 wrote:In RTS games it might be great... But I wouldn't want a mouse with a Cherry MX switch. Too much travel.
I think it might actually be kind of cool, deepening the experience; but only in a few rare cases, like pulling the trigger on that C4 you've just strewn about, or pressing the emergency eject button, or when firing an M60 or other BFG; then again those are not thing that are even present in games I play, so :?

Kurk

27 Apr 2012, 07:52

RC-1140 wrote:But I wouldn't want a mouse with a Cherry MX switch. Too much travel.
It seems to me that the normal mouse buttons use normal mouse switches (Omron micro switches). Somewhere on the mouse, however, the marketing department has placed one special "'attack key" sporting a Chery MX blue switch with the sole intention to trick kids into buying this mouse.

off

27 Apr 2012, 13:38

ah one page thread where the second post states it's a thumbbutton, and the linked source as well..
maybe kids need pics :| :lol:
Attachments
cherry on the side.png
cherry on the side.png (158.43 KiB) Viewed 6640 times

bhtooefr

01 May 2012, 04:00

ripster wrote:IBM called that a benefit in their buckling spring patent.

Less typos.
And IBM's implementation of hysteresis actually works.

Cherry's doesn't, because there's a point you can hang on some blue switches, just before the mechanism has broken, but after the electrical contact has broken, and then bounce on that point as much as you want to make/break the electrical contact (but an unpredictable number of times) without triggering the click mechanism to break.

Ekaros

01 May 2012, 13:40

Aren't micro switches also mechanical by definition? Still MX isn't very suitable for mouse, maybe for thumb but I still don't see any reason over audible feedback...

off

01 May 2012, 13:45

Ekaros wrote:Aren't micro switches also mechanical by definition?
I concur, but then I would also add that imvho rubberdome boards are mechanicals all the same.

bhtooefr

01 May 2012, 14:29

Which is why I don't like "mechanical" to describe the types of keyboards we discuss. (And "keyswitch" excludes buckling spring, which is clear proof in itself that that term is flawed - buckling spring should definitely count.) Any definition that excludes rubber domes also excludes Topre.

The problem is, the words I'm coming up with, other than "quality" (which is rather vague), don't exclude things like the Logitech G15 and G19.

off

01 May 2012, 14:40

Yeah I'd guess this is not a 'mechanical keyboard enthusiast forum' but instead a forum for 'quality keyboard enthusiasts' or 'enthusiasts of keyboards made with less cheapening out thus more heart'... I agree that 'mechanical' just mouths better ;)
That said, I still have got love for he G15; if only because of the LCD (not the craptastic logitech firmware for it though) and to a much lesser degree the macro keys (ideal for using as global music/volume control pad)

itlnstln

01 May 2012, 18:47

"(Spring-and-)Lever-based key-switches?" I think that would cover BS, Alps (except for leaf spring varieties, I guess) and Cherry. "Capacitive" covers Topre, some BS, Foam-and-Foil, etc. "Magnetic" would describe DataHand, Hall-Effect Switches and so on.

ripster

01 May 2012, 22:12

Ekaros wrote:Aren't micro switches also mechanical by definition? Still MX isn't very suitable for mouse, maybe for thumb but I still don't see any reason over audible feedback...
I like my definition. But like many definitions many people hate it.
Mechanical keyboards all are designed to allow you to type without bottoming out to activate the switch. They generally (not always) rely on metal contacts and a spring in an individual switch. Capacitive circuits are included in this guide as well as buckling spring switches which use a spring/hammer mechanical action to press a membrane switch. Although they don't use metal contacts to close or open the switch they share having a mid-point activation in the switch travel. The end result is a switch with longer key travel and a precise feel.
And I like Blue Cherries.

Precison is overrated.

As long as what I mean to type hits the screen in the right way I could care less about theoreticals.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 May 2012, 23:55

Good to hear you no longer pretend to be in keyboard science.

ripster

02 May 2012, 15:39

My best Ripster Theorems are Social Science ones.

Like McRip Effect!

PING!

webwit
Wild Duck

02 May 2012, 15:50

The unfortunately named "social science" is not science.

ripster

02 May 2012, 15:51

One of the reasons it's my fav.

Sometime a post is just a post.

Btw my Lego CST Lasertrak switch block is blue cherry. Great switch!

off

03 May 2012, 23:03

ripster wrote:Lego CST Lasertrak switch block
Your what? Pic?
this
ripster extra switches lego cst trackball FLA_7987.jpg
ripster extra switches lego cst trackball FLA_7987.jpg (149.61 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
Decided on horizontal vs vertical yet?

Return to “News”