KBC POKER - Sixty's take

bakageta

13 Feb 2011, 02:52

sixty wrote:I already modded the board a bit. I was happy to see that every single switch has extra holes for wires/diodes/leds. In theory a full backlight mod should be possible.
That's very good news, I so can't wait to get one of these.

turbocharged

13 Feb 2011, 03:42

This thing looks awesome. Was really hoping from the first pictures that the entire keyboard had red switches, but I do love the black switches. So the retail price looks like it is going to be around $100 USD? And I'm guessing it will have to be imported individually.
sixty wrote:I would say the cable is probably about a meter. Its not that short, but it could be longer for a keyboard cable, imo. I just used my usual mp3 player one which I carry around with me.

You are right, laptop users probably prefer shortish cables.
My TG3 BL82 only had a meter long usb cable and it honestly was a problem for me. I had to use an extension cable with it to reach the back of my computer. I need at least 1.5m using my desktop, but the short cable would be perfect for a laptop.
sixty wrote:I already modded the board a bit. I was happy to see that every single switch has extra holes for wires/diodes/leds. In theory a full backlight mod should be possible.
This is very impressive as well. I'm extremely interested in doing a full led mod...not sure what you would do about keycaps though??

nanu

13 Feb 2011, 04:02

I'm extremely interested in doing a full led mod...not sure what you would do about keycaps though??
Next thing you know there will be a GITD doubleshots group buy. That way you can charge up the labels, and then let them fade out for bedtime.

Anyhow, I don't know how USB works, but do you have to ask for power using the protocol if the supposed numerous LEDs somehow consume too much?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

13 Feb 2011, 20:41

Well, some keycaps are so thin that lights shine through.. Signature Plastics for example. See the Cherry logo key above. Sure that is not real backlight, but at least its a glow. Then I guess, you could always harvest from Tg3 boards.

J888www

14 Feb 2011, 23:37

I am a simple Monkey and usually read the Rating -/10 , Pros. and Cons. before deciding if it's worthwhile reading the full review and replies (lacking Time, a Monkey's Life-Time is far too short). An out of 10 Rating would be helpful.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

15 Feb 2011, 00:25

7/10

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Feb 2011, 02:29

sixty wrote:The combiniation FN+Q activates the second lock mode: “ESC lock”. This mode simply lets you swap ESC with tilde. When the lock is enabled, the tilde key will act as ESC by default, when disabled it will act as tilde by default. Whichever mode you prefer, the other option will always remain available through the FN key.

Example with “ESC lock” on:
Tilde key = ESC, FN+Tilde key = Tilde

Example with “ESC lock” off:
Tilde key = Tilde, FN+Tilde key = ESC
Except that, with ESC lock on, FN + Tilde key also gives me ESC.

Minskleip

15 Feb 2011, 10:06

So no tilde anywhere on the board when ESC lock is on? Can you confirm this sixty?

Mrinterface

15 Feb 2011, 13:23

webwit wrote: Except that, with ESC lock on, FN + Tilde key also gives me ESC.
Ouch....

They ought to know, did you mail them about this?

laden3

15 Feb 2011, 13:53

That is what I heard from a friend too. bug :lol:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 14:56

Appears like kant, one of the big players in the Korean site kbdmania, got one too. Here is his review:

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/2198646

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Feb 2011, 15:01

Waiting for JC to answer some questions to complete my review. Like whether that bug will be in the retail version.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 15:03

There is a topic about all the bugs on the KBC forum, I think they already have a solution for the tilde one, but then again... Google translate is not exactly helpful.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 15:08

http://bbs.kbc-china.com/thread-4854-1-1.html

Also mentions the screw problem....I think.
1. Screw problems (screw version is m2 4)
Received a lot of friends when the screws are falling I explain this because it is buried below the nut so the copper
When they are not screwed out too tight resulting in the transport process to shake out of this keyboard is to allow everyone to be demolished so that everyone Appreciate the fun of diy made in such a way so

The solution: If you hand a thinkpad laptop for hands apart to be able to see a screw in the middle A circle of colored plastic poker the same way to deal with the future so that the screw will not be shaking

Akira came out and also do not twist too tight to meet

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Feb 2011, 15:21

Not a very good excuse ;) I appreciate the fact that it is accessible but this is a mobile keyboard so the screws should not fall out by vibration. I don't relate it to the accessibility, just wrong screws or something. Also it will give more shipping problems and returns, especially when sent without padding which seems to be common in Asia.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 15:25

That seems to what they are saying later on in the post I think. Seems like some guy is suggesting future revisions to ship with the screws removed?

Moogle Stiltzkin

18 Feb 2011, 03:40

Not plate mounted, also i need numpad. The virtual numpad not too comfortable with that, especially when planning to replace the caps with double shots that don't have these short cut labels.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 18:06

Asking for a numpad on a keyboard like this is kinda silly to begin with. There is no virtual numpad on these, btw.

keyboardlover

18 Feb 2011, 18:34

Well Moogle is a pretty silly person.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 18:52

Also, I have been using the poker exclusively since a few days. I am now very fast with the arrow keys again in daily work. I never do use the arrow key lock, and always use the Fn + WASD way. It feels natural by now. Same for delete and page up down, which have smartly been placed on the < and > keys.

I really do like this keyboard, even a few days in. There are a few quirks... I often struggle with the F keys for example, something I did not think about before. ALT + F4 and combinations like that now seem to take a while longer than before, since I am not used to having them on a FN layer yet. Everything else, I don't think I slowed down on. Maybe even got faster.

I am a page up/down junkie and use it a lot, especially in our work software, since it cycles through a list of canned responses. These feel surprisingly natural by now. Right thumb to hold FN, pointer finger and middle finger to move up and down. Good stuff!

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

18 Feb 2011, 19:29

As someone who uses Alt-Gr based layouts, I find it somewhat ridiculous that they ditched right Alt, but kept the Context key (aka. Useless Button)

RiGS

18 Feb 2011, 19:35

The missing Alt-Gr and F keys are deal breaker for me.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 19:37

If a custom order for these happens, I am sure right and left keys could be swapped to give access to alt_gr. Actually I am pretty surprised that the default layout does not let you do this with dipswitches. They offer to change the left one only :?

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

18 Feb 2011, 19:38

It has much nicer keycaps than that "No Poo" keyboard. Not sure which layout I prefer, Alt issues notwithstanding.

J888www

18 Feb 2011, 22:28

Forgive my indulgence, everyone has been comparing it to the HHKB Pro, I just want to see these two.
This 356 Mini has 1 extra key ?
ImageImage
Maybe when Webwit gets the 356 Mini...............

laden3

18 Feb 2011, 22:54

daedalus wrote:As someone who uses Alt-Gr based layouts, I find it somewhat ridiculous that they ditched right Alt, but kept the Context key (aka. Useless Button)
If I am not mistaken, poker is designed for the US ANSI crowd...

there is a KBT pure with ISO enter... not sure about the alt gr though...

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

18 Feb 2011, 23:02

When I say layouts, I mean mapping of characters to keys, not the physical layout of the buttons. You can have Alt Gr with an ANSI layout.

Under Linux, I use "US International with Alt-Gr dead keys", which gets rid of the annoying dead keys on the standard US International layout.

notlofty

05 Mar 2011, 07:37

Looks like a great first keyboard to me... now to bring myself to part with $110.
It is weird that they would keep the context key in such a small layout. A second alt seems waaay more important than the context key. Does anyone even use that key? I don't think I've ever pressed it in my life. On the bright side can't you just use ahk to remap it to alt-gr or just another alt?

OrphaGn

05 Mar 2011, 09:31

I can't wait to get one of these with Reds, I can take it everywhere and use it instead of my laptop's scissor keyboard which is starting to shine.

calavera

06 Mar 2011, 08:28

I have a few questions regarding the arrow keys. You press FN +WASD for the arrow keys, correct? So both of your hands are on the keyboard?

You also activate the lower right keys as arrows using FN+space bar. Does this setting reset every time the PC is reset/rebooted?

Return to “Reviews”