Cooler Master Headset Survey

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

10 Apr 2015, 11:35

Hi DT community,

I know a headset/headphone isnt a input device but nevertheless some of you have some knowledge about it or just plain use a headset and want to share your opinion and input, well then now is your chance.

Its a longer survey then we had last time for the NovaTouch TKL but it wont take up more then 5minutes of your time. And... as a thank you we will be giving away 5 Sirus-C headsets picked randomly amoung the entries!

http://eu.coolermaster.com/survey/heads ... set_survey

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Bram

Mal-2

10 Apr 2015, 12:52

CM Bram wrote: I know a headset/headphone isnt a input device but nevertheless some of you have some knowledge about it or just plain use a headset and want to share your opinion and input, well then now is your chance.
If it has a microphone, it's an input device.

andrewjoy

10 Apr 2015, 13:04

Done. But i must add this.

Never ever ever ever ever put the controls for the headset on the cord, i don't care how good the strain relief is it will eventually break. put them on the ear cups like the senhiser PC360.

Make replacement cables and ear cups available

Make it quick and easy to mute the mic be it a button on the side or sliding the mic up.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

10 Apr 2015, 13:06

Mal-2 wrote:
CM Bram wrote: I know a headset/headphone isnt a input device but nevertheless some of you have some knowledge about it or just plain use a headset and want to share your opinion and input, well then now is your chance.
If it has a microphone, it's an input device.
Yea in that part it is indeed an input device so guess this survey has its rightfull place at DT then.. :P

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

10 Apr 2015, 13:06

andrewjoy wrote: Done. But i must add this.

Never ever ever ever ever put the controls for the headset on the cord, i don't care how good the strain relief is it will eventually break. put them on the ear cups like the senhiser PC360.

Make replacement cables and ear cups available

Make it quick and easy to mute the mic be it a button on the side or sliding the mic up.
Very good feedback! I hope you filled it in because this is exactly the feedback we are looking for! :mrgreen:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Apr 2015, 13:10

Thank you for not trying to force us into Facebook like those silly PMK marketing "experts" do :mrgreen:
And I quite appreciate the categories specified for the age. Makes me feel soooo young :lol:

Zaakessiron

10 Apr 2015, 13:13

Personally I have been using Modmic for several years now, love it. would love to see more similar alternatives. My biggest issue with Modmic is that you end up with two cables (mine are held together with a lot of Velcro strips).

Would like to see a high quality uni-directional boom microphone merged together with a male to male 3.5mm cable, so that you can hook it up to any pair of headphones that has a removable cable. Sell the cable/mic combo as is... or you could also bundle it with many different headphones to create a whole lineup of different styles and price ranges etc.

Probably would be good if it has a 4-pole 3.5mm male plug to allow use with mobiles/tables and laptops (getting more common on newer laptops) etc and include a simple Y Splitter for PC.

Stabilized

10 Apr 2015, 13:14

I use a Zalman lavalier mic on my Sennheiser HD650:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-MIC1- ... microphone

The mic is really not that important to me, as long as the other person can make out what I am saying without much background noise (Zalman is great for that). Wish it had better cable management though, I always seem to run them over with the casters on my chair or get them caught as I get up.

With my Sennheisers I use a USB DAC/amp (FiiO), which seems to give me good sound in game, don't feel I need anything more then that. Love the Sennheisers as they are very good build and have lots of replacement parts (like Andrew mentioned); I would definitely buy them again if these ever broke!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Apr 2015, 13:14

kbdfr wrote: Thank you for not trying to force us into Facebook like those silly PMK marketing "experts" do :mrgreen:
And I quite appreciate the categories specified for the age. Makes me feel soooo young :lol:
29. What is your age? 30 >
yeah that's one simplified category. Quite a few people fall into that category! :mrgreen:

chzel

10 Apr 2015, 13:16

seebart wrote:
kbdfr wrote: Thank you for not trying to force us into Facebook like those silly PMK marketing "experts" do :mrgreen:
29. What is your age? 30 >
yeah that's one simplified category. Quite a few people fall into that category! :mrgreen:
Yeah, I love it too! Are we considered vintage now?

andrewjoy

10 Apr 2015, 13:20

All i want is a new set of PC360s with a better mic but the replacement is ether lower quality or way more expensive .

If you can make something like that with the same build quality i would buy one.

Build quality is also very important , its a headset it will get thrown around dropped and so on it needs to last years and years and still work, ok it will look scratched up but thats not important its important that it is a workhorse.

Oh and also add to my other post make the head band padding replaceable, mine has long since gone to mush on the PC360s i have but admittedly they are about 5 years old now.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Apr 2015, 13:27

andrewjoy wrote: […] it needs to last years and years and still work, ok it will look scratched up but thats not important its important that it is a workhorse. […]
This does not seem to apply to keyboards, though :lol:

Findecanor

10 Apr 2015, 13:42

Please make it sturdy, with no puny plastic parts that will break too easily. My old headsets broke the other day - a plastic stalk that was just a couple millimetres thick.

There was a question in the poll about Leather, Fake leather, Plastic or Cloth. I answered Leather, but I would have liked to answer "anything but fake leather". Imitation leather starts flaking after a while, which is nasty.

andrewjoy

10 Apr 2015, 13:45

i said cloth as you can just clean em in the washing machine

Khers

10 Apr 2015, 13:59

I prefer leather for the headband and ear cups. More comfortable imo, and if it gets dirty, easily cleanable with some baby wipes. Those things are amazing!

Stabilized

10 Apr 2015, 14:04

andrewjoy wrote: i said cloth as you can just clean em in the washing machine
Velour for me, for the same reason and 'cause they feel well plush.

LLRnR
\m/

10 Apr 2015, 14:15

I don't like headphones using flimsy foam over the speakers. It deteriorates quickly and looks bad. Apart from that, I always have problems with the cable. Even if I'm careful, it finishes by partially breaking and results in intermittent stereo.

Being able to test out the headphones in a shop before you buy is definitely a plus -- I made the mistake several years ago to buy Panasonic RP-DJ300 headphones and I wasn't able to try them out first. My ears hurt after just 30 minutes and turn red. The pressure exerted by these headphones is horrific. How could a manufacturer produce such a torture instrument? :? Unfortunately they're still functioning and I don't know how to "accidentally" break them in order to justify buying real and comfortable headphones instead.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

10 Apr 2015, 14:19

Quite some good interaction going on here! Love reading through these comments guys!

As for the age category, well if you yourself want to consider yourself vintage? Sure then we can rename it in our next survey 30+ as "vintage" :D. But as I hope you agree the difference of someone being 15 and 25 is more important (for our kind of products) then when someone is 35 or 45 :oops:
Last edited by Bramster on 10 Apr 2015, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

Stabilized

10 Apr 2015, 14:21

LLRnR wrote: I don't like headphones using flimsy foam over the speakers.
Same on my £200 Sennheisers unfortunately, that being said I have never had this foam rip or damage. I imagine it's like this to not muffle the sounds too much.
LLRnR wrote: My ears hurt after just 30 minutes and turn red.
Over-ear headphones are definitely worth buying over on-ear ones from both a sound quality aspect and a comfort standpoint.

LLRnR
\m/

10 Apr 2015, 14:26

Stabilized wrote: Over-ear headphones are definitely worth buying over on-ear ones from both a sound quality aspect and a comfort standpoint.
Yeah, I was young and dumb when I bought them, I should have known better :(

andrewjoy

10 Apr 2015, 14:44

kbdfr wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: […] it needs to last years and years and still work, ok it will look scratched up but thats not important its important that it is a workhorse. […]
This does not seem to apply to keyboards, though :lol:

you don't wear a keyboard on your head tho :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Apr 2015, 14:53

CM Bram wrote: […] But as I hope you agree the difference of someone being 15 and 25 is more important (for our kind of products) then when someone is 35 or 45 :oops:
[…] or even older. Yes, I agree :lol:

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

13 Apr 2015, 08:44

Hehe no comment on age! But thanks to all for replying and filling in the survey already!

Ascaii
The Beard

13 Apr 2015, 14:33

Personally, I am waiting for something completely new. The modmic is a step into the right direction for me, functional and not too flashy.My biggest issue with "gaming" headsetshas always been sound quality...the difference to my Sennheisers is just too great. There definitely is potential for a revolution...a glued on boom mic is not the solution.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

14 Apr 2015, 15:11

Ascaii wrote: Personally, I am waiting for something completely new. The modmic is a step into the right direction for me, functional and not too flashy.My biggest issue with "gaming" headsetshas always been sound quality...the difference to my Sennheisers is just too great. There definitely is potential for a revolution...a glued on boom mic is not the solution.
Good feedback! Thats why there is also a rank by importance in the survey with sound/audio quality inside. And also questions regarding a microphone (or even no microphone [headphones > headsets]) but then also which style microphone, removable, boom etc..

So I encourage you then to fill it in if you havent already :D

andrewjoy

14 Apr 2015, 16:20

I did not see a comment section on the form but i may have missed it :). SO you pass on the feedback from the thread.

macmakkara

14 Apr 2015, 22:29

Done here....
I don't use headset atm cause i can't find good price to quality at head sets :/ all are hugely bass boosted or tremble boosted... if not then price is 90+€. For example Superlux studio headphones 20-40€ and they have great reviews and even audiophiles praise them. They work great alone but if paired with amp its fantastic. (Superlux hd681 Evo with Sb Z here) only minus is they don't have mic. To fix that i bought studio mic with stand next to my pc. Only problem is lans where microphone with floorstand aint really optimal solution.

But think ppl who have bought already soundcard or amp or dac amp combo. Don't make USB headset cause they can't use them.

Ascaii
The Beard

14 Apr 2015, 22:49

macmakkara wrote: Done here....
I don't use headset atm cause i can't find good price to quality at head sets :/ all are hugely bass boosted or tremble boosted... if not then price is 90+€. For example Superlux studio headphones 20-40€ and they have great reviews and even audiophiles praise them. They work great alone but if paired with amp its fantastic. (Superlux hd681 Evo with Sb Z here) only minus is they don't have mic. To fix that i bought studio mic with stand next to my pc. Only problem is lans where microphone with floorstand aint really optimal solution.

But think ppl who have bought already soundcard or amp or dac amp combo. Don't make USB headset cause they can't use them.
I have to agree with this.I use a DAC for my cans, so a usb headset is just not an option for me. But I will be the first to admit, we are definitely the minority here...the majority of gamers don't know what good sound is and have never experienced it, they don't know any better, so they will go with the easiest and flashiest headset they can get. An audiophile quality headset with removable mic and bundled usb dac that sits comfortably and is light is the unicorn i know we would love to see, but we are not a large enough crowd to warrant that cost. This is the reason I think niche solutions like the modmic will prevail in our circles. I would love to see a major brand like CM give it a shot, because I am sure the R&D guys you have on staff can come up with some amazingly creative ideas.

Findecanor

15 Apr 2015, 08:41

The thing is that you get used to bad audio quality. I noticed right away when I replaced the TV, and when I replaced the headset with earphones that the audio quality was worse than before... but I don't think about it now.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

15 Apr 2015, 13:05

andrewjoy wrote: I did not see a comment section on the form but i may have missed it :). SO you pass on the feedback from the thread.
Indeed, but all the thread open on multiple forums or on our social media pages the itneraction is being checked for the open comments, feedback and discussion ofcourse! As for the questions they give us pure data :)

Return to “Off-topic”