Dear Mr. Beardsmore

Julle

01 Jul 2014, 17:40

I get trolled by your avatar on a daily basis.

Sincerely,
Julle

Muirium
µ

01 Jul 2014, 18:03

Your name was like that, back when we thought you were Julie!

http://deskthority.net/post121126.html#p121126

Madhias
BS TORPE

01 Jul 2014, 20:04

Julle wrote: I get trolled by your avatar on a daily basis.

Sincerely,
Julle
Me too. Wasn't it something like a troll/gnome before?

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Jul 2014, 20:24

It was the player character from Heartlight PC, which just happens to be leprechaun-like. Prior to that it was an Automatic Warning System (AWS) "sunflower", the cab indicator in British trains that advises the driver that the approaching signal is not clear (i.e. danger, caution or preliminary caution) or that there is an impending temporary speed restriction (or some other reason why a portable permanent magnet has been deployed). Clear signals give you a "ping" sound not unlike the iPhone's new message sound, so I got seriously trolled by everyone's iPhones. The German PZB (Punktförmige Zugbeeinflussung) is everything AWS should have been but wasn't. Germans are clever.

My avatar is 1/8th troll, but mostly something fitting and appropriate.

Topre Enthusiast

01 Jul 2014, 23:11

The recent change was a particularly nasty troll for me as Tapatalk thought it would be funny to continue using your old avatar when you were quoted...

JBert

01 Jul 2014, 23:24

Wait, we're talking about "This avatar intentionally left broken"? Or is that broken too?

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Jul 2014, 00:02

It's disappointing that people pay more attention to a picture than they do my posts (which is partially what the avatar was intended to convey). I was going to say that it looks like it's time for a change of online career, as a troll, but the picture wasn't really meant to be a troll, although I always have a bit of troll in me.

The fact that I've got the actual Monterey model number of the SIIG MiniTouch? Nobody could give a toss. A photo of the keypad that accounts for the mysterious 6P6C jack it had? Ditto.

A picture I expected everyone to summarily ignore? A whole topic of its own. That really does sum up Deskthority and my frustration with it very nicely.

The picture is gone. You can all go home now.

Muirium
µ

02 Jul 2014, 00:24

Visual thinkers. That whole thing about a picture being worth a thousand words? Dead wrong. It's so valuable that it's worth more than zero words.

If I had the keyboard to photograph, I'd take a shot. I might have a Minitouch soon, but not yet.

Madhias
BS TORPE

02 Jul 2014, 07:09

Maybe we're all a bunch of cursorily people. I did read the thread of these strange Montery keyboards, and so did other people for sure. Why the people who have this board or know something about it doesn't say anything, i don't know.

And i got successfully trolled by your avatar by looking at it's source, if it's lost or just a funny (now i now grumpy) game.
Muirium wrote: Visual thinkers. That whole thing about a picture being worth a thousand words? Dead wrong. It's so valuable that it's worth more than zero words.
Comes from the man with the most posted picture of his keyboard. And if i remember correctly somewhere it was mentioned that a picture is better than... :)

Muirium
µ

02 Jul 2014, 09:55

True. I didn't say I wasn't visual, too! (But I might have implied it, whoops.)

Once I get my paws on the Minitouch I'm getting proxied (NIB but not clearly branded through the bubblewrap) I'll try to contribute information. Bugger all I can do without it, though. Which is surely the real problem. At any point in time, most all of us can't answer a specific question about a board we've never seen close up. It's a numbers game. The more precise the question, the longer the delay.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

02 Jul 2014, 11:40

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: It's disappointing that people pay more attention to a picture than they do my posts (which is partially what the avatar was intended to convey). I was going to say that it looks like it's time for a change of online career, as a troll, but the picture wasn't really meant to be a troll, although I always have a bit of troll in me.

The fact that I've got the actual Monterey model number of the SIIG MiniTouch? Nobody could give a toss. A photo of the keypad that accounts for the mysterious 6P6C jack it had? Ditto.

A picture I expected everyone to summarily ignore? A whole topic of its own. That really does sum up Deskthority and my frustration with it very nicely.

The picture is gone. You can all go home now.
you need a backrub

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Jul 2014, 14:47

But not from you …

(I have no idea what a back rub is supposed to do.)

Dubsgalore

02 Jul 2014, 16:29

As I said in the other thread, it got me as well everytime I saw it :lol:

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

02 Jul 2014, 18:55

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: But not from you …

(I have no idea what a back rub is supposed to do.)
oh relax Ham Guy i wasn't suggesting THAT.

i was thinking more along the lines of the Bear Necessities.

Julle

02 Jul 2014, 19:26

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Jul 2014, 20:25

sth wrote: i was thinking more along the lines of the Bear Necessities.
Nope, still doesn't mean anything to me.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

02 Jul 2014, 20:57

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
sth wrote: i was thinking more along the lines of the Bear Necessities.
Nope, still doesn't mean anything to me.
Hey wait a dang minute! What's wrong with my backrubs anyhow? :x :x :x

Muirium
µ

02 Jul 2014, 21:02

Not everyone has emotion as a first language.

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Jul 2014, 22:41

I suspect I'm being collectively trolled by DT.

Laser
emacs -nw

02 Jul 2014, 22:53

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I suspect I'm being collectively trolled by DT.
:o The "Collective" infiltrated DT! :shock: The borgs are here!

You Star Trek aficionado, you 8-)

Muirium
µ

02 Jul 2014, 23:04

I thought we were DistributedTrolling?

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

03 Jul 2014, 00:57

At times it feels like people actually are linking this gif.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Jul 2014, 01:02

Spoiler:

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

03 Jul 2014, 09:11

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I suspect I'm being collectively trolled by DT.
8-)

but seriously Daniel, you are the man. the entire worldwide community owes a lot to your efforts. even if people don't specifically understand or appreciate the existence of a nonfunctional RJ11 jack. you're like the Giver of keyboard specifications.

Return to “Off-topic”