Deskthority Secret Santa 2014 Photo Thread

Findecanor

24 Dec 2014, 21:44

Muirium wrote: In Scotland, for whatever reason, Christmas didn't really take off until modern times. But we kept the mischief alive in Hogmanay instead.
The early Christians up North continued to drink large quantities of beer near the solstice, they just did it at Christmas instead and they still do.

In Sweden, the calendar has a name for each day, often named after saints. Once back when the Julian calendar was being used, which also had some drift from the solar year, the winter solstice happened on St Lucy's (Lucia) name-day on the 13th of December ... and so St Lucy started to be celebrated as a bringer of light, very far removed from the Sicilian tradition.
Since the end of the 19th century (at least), there is a tradition of young women doing processions dressed in white robes, holding candles and singing hymns, with the front girl being the "Lucia" carrying candles on her head. This tradition then merged with a tradition of young men dressed in white wearing KKK-like hats signing Christmas carols before or at Christmas eve, so now both young women (mostly) and men walk processions in white and sing Christmas carols on the 13th of December. It is usually not boozy, except that participants often use it as an excuse to party...

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2014, 22:13

Speaking of Julian drift, why ever didn't we align the calendar to the actual bloody year when we had the chance? Gregory should have put January 1st on the winter solstice for once and for all. December 20 gets that honour instead. Believe it or not, but we've been in 2015, geometrically speaking, for a few days already.

wheybags

25 Dec 2014, 01:26

webwit wrote: Tapatalk.
I might disable those.
https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/ho ... ort.24544/
While you're at it, disable normal smileys too.
ASCII master race!

Muirium
µ

25 Dec 2014, 01:31

You can do that yourself. Check your user profile. I've run that way all along! Which is why emoji are extra nippy.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Dec 2014, 10:01

I have found an android app called ASCII emoticons and a discontinued Emoji keyboard at XDA but there are a ton of other ones.

>_> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... st33673517

There is also an alternative to Tapatalk called "forum fiend". <*_*>

wheybags

27 Dec 2014, 22:27

Bunch of cherry m9s, some misc switches, some cool caps, and a DINKEL STOLLEN.
<3, whoever you are :p

Daniel Beardsmore

27 Dec 2014, 23:00

Two people bought 800-switch Cherry M9 boxes:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/131305803033

If either buyer is at DT, several people might be getting generous helpings of those switches :) There's only 100 or so there.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Dec 2014, 12:49

Santa just rang my doorbell. Still drunk, it seems :lol:

Anyway, really nice things I got. And an even nicer letter :mrgreen: .
Secret Santa 2014.jpg
Secret Santa 2014.jpg (124.03 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Thanks, Secret Santa!

7bit

29 Dec 2014, 13:14

Everything has been cut into pieces!
:o

Where is the rest of the keyboard?
:?

Already eaten?
:evilgeek:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Dec 2014, 13:33

The keyboard and the teebags are still there :mrgreen:
Interested in teebags? :lol:

Muirium
µ

29 Dec 2014, 14:04

7bit wrote: Everything has been cut into pieces!
Yeah, tea just comes in a big sausage that you slice up for individual servings!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Dec 2014, 14:10

Muirium wrote:
7bit wrote: Everything has been cut into pieces!
Yeah, tea just comes in a big sausage that you slice up for individual servings!
just like tuna?

Muirium
µ

29 Dec 2014, 14:55

No, more like:

7bit

29 Dec 2014, 17:59

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Two people bought 800-switch Cherry M9 boxes:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/131305803033

If either buyer is at DT, several people might be getting generous helpings of those switches :) There's only 100 or so there.
At least I'm at DT and the largest amount I sold to a single user is 20 switches.
Attachments
Santa_001.jpg
Santa_001.jpg (90.05 KiB) Viewed 3038 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Dec 2014, 11:17

My Santa sent me a wonderful set of vintage "DSA" keycaps! They are wonderfully yellowed and I'm glad he didn't retr0brighted them!

Best present of the year.

Also some ALPs keycaps, just in case.

And of course some candies that have been already terminated (Aaaarrr... it tasted like Rum!)

I believe my second package to my giftee went missing, I was a bit worried because the envelope was really small (the smallest bubble-wrap I could find).

Muirium
µ

30 Dec 2014, 11:43

Nice "DSA" Cherry set. Those aren't yellowed: that's their natural colour.

Sweet caps. Entirely compatible with DSA, they seem to be its inspiration. They were originally intended for low profile, short throw, M8 switches. But MX compatibility makes them relevant today.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Dec 2014, 11:56

Muirium wrote: Nice "DSA" Cherry set. Those aren't yellowed: that's their natural colour.
nope, that is called "fucking-lame-camera-phone-white-balance" :D

They are actually pretty yellowed :D

Muirium
µ

30 Dec 2014, 12:11

Okay, here's some more examples.

They really are beige!

I'm guessing they came from this:

Do not reveal the identity of your secret Santa!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

30 Dec 2014, 12:44

I see Turbo chewing gum, ROM chocolate, Salam de biscuti and Fagaras. Oh boy these are the treats of my childhood :D

7bit

30 Dec 2014, 13:55

So, now we have it official: gogusrl must have sent the package!
:cool:

gogusrl

30 Dec 2014, 17:53

what ? no way. it's probably this guy ( http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/g80-0662-t6451.html ). I heard he moved to Romania for the awesome candy.

Return to “Off-topic”