Karabiner = slow iMac?

ShivaYash

25 Feb 2015, 16:20

Hello chaps,

Since hooking up my ACD-DVI30, my iMac seems a little sluggish. I have a special relationship with Apple so one of their bods rang me to discuss further. He'd never heard of Karabiner, I sent him a 'Capture Data' screen shot of my system, and he spotted it.

Has anyone noticed a system slow-down due to running Karabiner? It seems highly improbably that it is not to blame.

Oh, and I should add, I am running a 512mb graphics card, so plenty of power for the additional screen.

With best, and thanks,

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 16:25

Try uninstalling it and see.

I never run third party kernel extensions, myself, so I've never used Karabiner. Too used to doing all that remapping and layering stuff in hardware, outside the Mac.

ShivaYash

25 Feb 2015, 16:28

Muirium wrote: Try uninstalling it and see.

I never run third party kernel extensions, myself, so I've never used Karabiner. Too used to doing all that remapping and layering stuff in hardware, outside the Mac.
Yep, that is the way to do it. I only need a few little mods to get the SSK working with the Mac, but do like have \ as delete. Can one easily remap this type of setting outside of the third party realm?

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 16:30

I do it all in Soarer's Converter. The only modifications you can make in software, without installing third party stuff, is swapping around mods:
Fortunately, that's the main thing I need to do with any USB keyboard. All the rest go through Soarer's!

ShivaYash

25 Feb 2015, 16:45

Lucky you. I don't have that.

As a long term Mac user I feel silly for asking, but out of Command, Option and Control, which can 'we' do without? As the SSK is missing one key on the bottom row, I am not sure how best to set it up.

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 17:05

Sure you have it. Even my old Macs do. Go to System Preferences >> Keyboard and click on Modifier Keys to see the options. Anything remotely recent (since 2007) will let you set different mods for each keyboard you hook up to your Mac. (Tiger and older treated them all as one preference.)

You're used to your HHKB, right? It has Option-Command-Space-Command-Option on the bottom row, and puts Control where Caps Lock usually lives. Try that on your SSK. The built in system preference above lets you change Caps Lock to Control dead easy. It's how I have my "Winkeyless" boards arranged too.

andrewjoy

25 Feb 2015, 17:30

can you ask your friend at apple why they keep breaking server.app every time they update it ?

Hypersphere

25 Feb 2015, 17:32

I've used Karabiner on a Mac mini and three different generations of Mac Pro with no issues. It is a great program if you need to go beyond the Mac keyboard preferences.

andrewjoy

25 Feb 2015, 17:35

I may have to give that a go :) fortunately macs have an ISO PC option in the keyboard layout so my NIB SSK works just fine :)

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 18:32

Previously NIB you mean. Doesn't count if you're using it!

I don't know anyone inside Apple. And what's server.app? Ain't on my machines. Something from OS X Server?

andrewjoy

25 Feb 2015, 18:36

yep server.app is the replacement for OS X server . Its works well for the most part but its like a lucky dip when its updated if it will carry on working or break.

This updates lucky winner was smb file sharing protocol, they messed up the permissions settings :)

Return to “Off-topic”