Soldering iron -

ShivaYash

01 Dec 2014, 20:26

Hello chaps,

I'd like a soldering iron - but the options are far and wide.

I like Antex as a brand - but unsure of what wattage to go for. Do such items come in variable wattages?

Mainly I'll be doing small home electrical stuff, I very much doubt I'll be desoldering and soldering my KBs, although my FILCO NUMPAD could do with one switch being replaced.

Suggestions sought.

andrewjoy

01 Dec 2014, 20:33

It all depends on how much you have to spend. I would never get one that's just on the end of a wire you need a soldering station, even if its just a cheap one its better than the ones on the end of a wire. The most important thing is a good quality tip, even if you buy a clone you should buy a real tip for it.

ShivaYash

01 Dec 2014, 20:35

Storage space is very limited. I think I'll use it about two to three times per year. Won't a heat proof mat suffice?

chzel

29 Dec 2014, 07:44

MODS!There we go again...from the same thread even..

ShivaYash

29 Dec 2014, 08:06

chzel wrote:MODS!There we go again...from the same thread even..
What does this mean?

ShivaYash

29 Dec 2014, 08:06

SPAM?

Khers

29 Dec 2014, 08:08

ShivaYash wrote: SPAM?
Will be spam in a moment or two...

chzel

29 Dec 2014, 08:28

It was spam already, it is a copy of andrewjoy's post with a link thrown in

Khers

29 Dec 2014, 09:08

Oh, didn't even notice the link at first :D

chzel

29 Dec 2014, 09:36

Btw I am using a "Solder Peak" 60W digital station from TME! It is probably
from some OEM, but it does fine, great tips, and fair price.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

30 Dec 2014, 10:10

I have a CFH 15W soldering iron, I soldered and desoldered tons of stuff, it's really good and cheap if don't want to build "spaceships". It works also fro SMD if you have a steady hand.

Nuum

30 Dec 2014, 10:37

I'm using an Ersa Multitip C25 with 25W and it does the job just fine. I soldered my FaceU with it, a Soarer's Controller and some other small stuff. Desoldering also works with a simple solder pump.

HzFaq

30 Dec 2014, 10:45

I have an Antex iron on a wire that I think I paid about £20 for about 2 years ago...it might even have come with an extra tip thinking about it. In total I've built about 3 or 4 customs and de-soldered something like 10 boards with it with no issues, its a great little iron, I'd definately go Antex again. I would like a station at some point, but until this goes wrong I can't really justify replacing it.

ShivaYash

30 Dec 2014, 10:57

HzFaq wrote:I have an Antex iron on a wire that I think I paid about £20 for about 2 years ago...it might even have come with an extra tip thinking about it. In total I've built about 3 or 4 customs and de-soldered something like 10 boards with it with no issues, its a great little iron, I'd definately go Antex again. I would like a station at some point, but until this goes wrong I can't really justify replacing it.
Thanks. What wattage is your iron?

HzFaq

30 Dec 2014, 11:03

I honestly can't remember, 25w I think.

ShivaYash

30 Dec 2014, 11:07

Ta.

HzFaq

30 Dec 2014, 11:14

Just dug through some emails and found the invoice, it was this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antex-Xs25-230v ... =antex+25w

DanielT

30 Dec 2014, 16:30

I like that Antex, I was on the look for something a little better than my CFH, the CFH soldering tips are not so good, I changed around 3-4 ( desoldered 3 boards, soldered 4 and some other small jobs).
And the price tag is decent.

Hypersphere

30 Dec 2014, 16:35

On the US side of the pond, Weller seems to be a good brand. They do a soldering station with thermal control for a reasonable price. Don't know if they are available in the UK.

Khers

30 Dec 2014, 16:40

I was thinking of getting that one (the Weller WHS40) since I knew Weller was a well renowned brand. When reading into it though, it seems like they merely put their name on something and that it is not nearly the quality you get if you buy the "real" stuff. In the end I went for a no name 40W soldering station instead. That one has served me well.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Dec 2014, 17:12

I have this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PROFESSIONAL-DI ... ng+station

it's a shit, but it works. Good bang for the buck (you can easily find it on farnell, mouser and on all amazon websites)

Hypersphere

30 Dec 2014, 17:20

Khers wrote: I was thinking of getting that one (the Weller WHS40) since I knew Weller was a well renowned brand. When reading into it though, it seems like they merely put their name on something and that it is not nearly the quality you get if you buy the "real" stuff. In the end I went for a no name 40W soldering station instead. That one has served me well.
I got the WES51. I have only done one small job with it, but so far it has worked well.

andrewjoy

30 Dec 2014, 17:29

nice one , looks good

get yourself a nice flat tip for it the pointy ones most irons come with are useless. I don't even know what you would want to use a pointy tip for, i think its something you are not supposed to ask.

ShivaYash

30 Dec 2014, 19:51

And what type of solder should I get?

Hypersphere

30 Dec 2014, 20:10

I use Kester rosin-core solder:
http://www.amazon.com/Kester-Rosin-Core ... B00068IJPO
Despite all the dire warnings about Pb-containing materials, I prefer Pb-alloy solder.

Parak

30 Dec 2014, 20:15

andrewjoy wrote: nice one , looks good

get yourself a nice flat tip for it the pointy ones most irons come with are useless. I don't even know what you would want to use a pointy tip for, i think its something you are not supposed to ask.
Fine SMD work usually... but definitely not using the ones that the cheap irons come with :lol: I use 0.4mm tips for that as an example.

chzel

30 Dec 2014, 20:43

Funny how a bit of spam can get a thread going, eh?

DanielT

30 Dec 2014, 20:54

Yep, there is nothing like a little ....

Compgeke

30 Dec 2014, 23:09

I really do like spam. Fry it up, some lettuce, tomato and mustard and you have a great sandwich.

Touch_It

02 Jan 2015, 17:05

I bought a $5.00 soldering iron from walmart lol!. My wife told her uncle that I needed one and was convinced i needed one asap when we were at walmart. I've soldered 3 times and I melted straight through the end of the tip. I suppose I should at least invest in a semi-decent tip as I need to desolder and solder in the controller on my 4704 and will likely be transplanting 104 switches. I know cheap isn't the way to go, but does anyone have any experience with buying tips at radio shack?

Return to “Off-topic”