Unicomp order - IBM parts - advice and suggestions...

ShivaYash

03 Feb 2015, 13:58

Hello chaps,

I'm putting in a Unicomp order for IBM stabilisers and a RGB key cap set, printed. Will the printing matching the original keys?

Anything else I should consider buying?

Anyone care to join my order? If so, let me know. I'll get it shipped to London, so this is a call to UK members only.

With best,
SY

Muirium
µ

03 Feb 2015, 14:07

Nope. Unicomp caps have blurrier, fainter legends compared to the real IBM. They're fine enough in themselves, but do look a bit off when mixed with originals.

Khers

03 Feb 2015, 14:32

I agree with Mu, they are fine on their own but rather meh in comparison to the real deal. Also, the font that Unicomp uses is a bit more condensed, which makes it even more obvious when used together with IBMs.

I have some RGB-mods and an (incomplete :( ) APL-set made by Unicomp, that have ended up in a drawer because of this. For this reason I'd rather recommend you to go for a blank set and blank RGB-mods if you're into that. Should look pretty neat.

Also, while you're at it, you could get a new latex sheet to replace the rubber sheet, if you ever decide to do a bolt mod. And maybe some pivot plate & spring-assemblies.

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Feb 2015, 15:04

I agree with the suggestion for the latex blanket, they are nice. By all means order a couple of extra barrel inserts, you will probably need more of the horizontal type than the vertical.

Unicomp legends are inconsistent but so were IBMs. The RGB sets are nice and I plan to order another one sometime.

The red, green, and blue alert legends are awesome-looking and can be had on pearl or bright white.

I would recommend getting at least 1 red Escape cap, and perhaps a few caps in slightly different tones. Bright white stands out just a bit from pearl, but not too much, I use F2 and F5 quite a lot and a bright white ones are easier to hit.

Gray (which is a very cool gray, almost bluish) and lilac blend nicely, but just stand out from pebble, I have set F10 to Windows and use a lilac Windows key.

An orange Delete key is helpful, and I think that pebble `~ and \| look more appropriate where they sit.

So go crazy and spend tons of money. Unicomp needs the profit.

ShivaYash

03 Feb 2015, 15:25

fohat wrote: I agree with the suggestion for the latex blanket, they are nice. By all means order a couple of extra barrel inserts, you will probably need more of the horizontal type than the vertical.

Unicomp legends are inconsistent but so were IBMs. The RGB sets are nice and I plan to order another one sometime.

The red, green, and blue alert legends are awesome-looking and can be had on pearl or bright white.

I would recommend getting at least 1 red Escape cap, and perhaps a few caps in slightly different tones. Bright white stands out just a bit from pearl, but not too much, I use F2 and F5 quite a lot and a bright white ones are easier to hit.

Gray (which is a very cool gray, almost bluish) and lilac blend nicely, but just stand out from pebble, I have set F10 to Windows and use a lilac Windows key.

An orange Delete key is helpful, and I think that pebble `~ and \| look more appropriate where they sit.

So go crazy and spend tons of money. Unicomp needs the profit.
Thanks to ALL... postage to ye old England is $26 and I hate paying more for postage than the goods I am have sent, if that makes sense.

I'll appreciate some tips on colours, as UNICOMP has a mind-blowing array of options available in this department.
Last edited by ShivaYash on 03 Feb 2015, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Feb 2015, 15:51

The big problem is that while there is a triple rainbow available for 1x size caps, you can't get matching ones in larger sizes!

That is why I have a small number of "accent" keys on mine.

These caps can be dyed, so maybe you could order a bright white set, or something like that, as a base.

Prices add up quickly, there are surcharges added for "non-standard" items so the printed caps can end up in the $1.5 range each. You will be over $26 pretty fast at that rate.
Attachments
F-122-open-001e.jpg
F-122-open-001e.jpg (450.77 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
F-122-002m-unicorn2013.JPG
F-122-002m-unicorn2013.JPG (199.5 KiB) Viewed 1623 times

andrewjoy

03 Feb 2015, 17:13

ahh ansi conversion on model F 122 good man, no number pad tab key tho disappointing all the cool kids have them. Looks very nice where did you get that key on the bottom right of the left hand F keys ? ( second picture)

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Feb 2015, 17:26

andrewjoy wrote:
no number pad tab key tho disappointing all the cool kids have them.

where did you get that key on the bottom right of the left hand F keys ?
What I would really like to have on the numpad is a comma.

That "Windows" key was done by my daughter with fingernail polish and I put a blob of red on it because the legend was still showing through.

andrewjoy

03 Feb 2015, 17:43

split the enter and the + you can have both then :)

Return to “Off-topic”