What are you listening to at the moment?

Muirium
µ

14 Nov 2015, 22:44

Pharoah, Sun Ra, Alice Coltrane, now you're talking!

See if you like this one:
Muirium wrote: More horns!
Matthew Halsall (genius) does a trumpet version of Alice Coltrane's (amazing) Satchidananda.

Warning: Contains Jazz.

SL89

14 Nov 2015, 22:49

I like it so far Mu, jazz is good stuff. Do you like Eric Dolphy?

Muirium
µ

14 Nov 2015, 22:51

Of course. On bass clarinet. Lemme dig through my crates a sec…
Big horn, played real quick, with emotion.

Hypersphere

14 Nov 2015, 22:52

As usual, I was speaking in vague generalities. ;) I happened to mention jazz genres because I've often wondered to myself if people actually like the music, the same way I wondered in my childhood how adults could actually enjoy the taste of green olives stuffed with pimento. Apparently, I have to grow into appreciating jazz, although I will have to find the right flavor. I still don't particularly like green olives stuffed with pimento, but I have learned to like Kalamata olives. Back to music, I do like some jazz musicians, Keith Jarrett in particular, but mostly when he chooses to play classical music instead of jazz.

SL89

14 Nov 2015, 22:54

I like jazz, but i need variety, i end up listening to more 'out there' practitioners. Sun Ra, Dolphy and Mingus are my go-to guys lately.

Muirium
µ

14 Nov 2015, 23:01

Jazz is a wide, wide genre. There's plenty I can't stand! But it's where my heart is, at the end of the day. Chasing after things I never hear or feel anywhere else.

A subgenre I've been into for a few years now is Afrobeat. Africa's answer to jazz and funk. Completely different sound to Blue Note, but every bit as complex and nuanced. It's been alive and well for decades now in its own right, with a fantastic back catalogue and a strong presence today. As I've probably touched on a few times in this very thread…

stratokaster

15 Nov 2015, 00:14

Muirium wrote: Pharoah, Sun Ra, Alice Coltrane, now you're talking!

See if you like this one:
He's quite faithful to the original. However, his version has an air of quiet resignation to it and the original is full of passion simmering just below the surface. At least it's my impression :-)

Jazz is indeed a very wide genre and my tastes have shifted quite a bit throughout the years. For example, 10 years ago I was more into extremely avant-garde stuff. Now I value records that sit at the nexus of different subgenres. For example, my favorite Coltrane albums are transitional ones, when he was moving from bop to modal jazz and from modal jazz to free jazz. It's this synthesis of different ideas and approaches that makes music interesting to me personally.

Muirium
µ

15 Nov 2015, 15:04

Everyone's entitled to be wrong about art! He's English: the land where the air really is made of quiet resignation. Compared to America at least.

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2015, 14:45

Seeing as winter's coming, and the dank old isle is slipping into darkness…
Ooh, I do like this one too.
You know you're onto something when Youtube leads you on to Lebanon…

davkol

19 Nov 2015, 12:24

derzemel

19 Nov 2015, 14:44

can't stop listening to this song (Ibrahim Maalouf - True Sorry):

SL89

19 Nov 2015, 15:18

Muirium
µ

19 Nov 2015, 23:46

Situation Normal, Brother Yusef.

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2015, 22:48

Adele Sebastian's Classic, in a fantastic light.

derzemel

25 Nov 2015, 10:14

BATMETAL!!!
BATMETAL RETURNS!!!

Halvar

26 Nov 2015, 23:10

For us mainstream crowd... ;-)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

27 Nov 2015, 08:57

SL89 wrote: I like jazz, but i need variety, i end up listening to more 'out there' practitioners. Sun Ra, Dolphy and Mingus are my go-to guys lately.
mingus! yeah.
have you heard mulatu astatke?

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Dec 2015, 22:56

This one didn't make it to feature at this year's *ping* award, because it's too good.

photekq
Cherry Picker

09 Dec 2015, 23:55

I've been trying to track down this particular version for about a week now. Finally found it!

SL89

10 Dec 2015, 02:40

@sth i hadn't heard him before, but ill check it out

todays jam
I also like Rolls Bayce on this album and oddly enough the drummer is the same as this band:

Muirium
µ

11 Dec 2015, 00:40

I can't play it in my browser, but I'm playing it in my head.
Only appropriate, as I'm 36,000 feet right over the place!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

11 Dec 2015, 00:57

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

11 Dec 2015, 01:03

And listened that one approximately 900 times last week:

Ace
§

11 Dec 2015, 03:04

Halvar wrote: For us mainstream crowd... ;-)
The only hello I currently care about. I love Adele, so I'm sure that once I listen to it I'll love it.

Parjánya

11 Dec 2015, 03:16

Joining the meagre ranks of early music lovers:
This piece made me start studying the harpsichord 15 years ago, oh the nostalgia : o )

E3E

11 Dec 2015, 07:04

This thread is reminding me that I really need to listen to music again. I used to be low-grade audiophile in my teenage years with a pair of Sony MDR-CD3000s, a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000s, and a nice little DAC for the time, the EMU 0404 USB.

I still use them for my audio work and for anything I do on my PC, but ever since I've lost a huge library almost ten years ago, I've had little enthusiasm to bother compiling any music since. Strange as it is, I always have patterns and rhythms in my mind, but that doesn't replace what listening to actual music does for the soul, haha.

That'd probably help improve my mood. :)

ettasian

15 Dec 2015, 22:00

I like to remind myself of that one once in a while:

Halvar

15 Dec 2015, 22:43

Every year this time of the year:

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

16 Dec 2015, 15:07

SL89

16 Dec 2015, 15:16

this is stuck in my head: