What do you do ?

derzemel

02 May 2015, 21:27

There is the topic Post your virtual desktop and the images posted there are fascinating and I understand almost nothing of what's happening in them :lol:

This got me thinking and curios about what are the educational / professional background of mechanical keyboard fans.

I'll start first :p

I work in project management and financial analysis and my educational background is cybernetics (the economics and mathematical part of it).
As a curiosity until the end of the second year of university I heavily disliked maths, but in the third and fourth year I learned how to use it in economics, forecasting and risk management and I fell in love with it.

Do most of you do server herding or software programming? Or do you work/learn other disciplines?

P.S.: if this topic is indiscreet I hope you will not be upset and I kindly ask one of the mods to delete it.
Last edited by derzemel on 02 May 2015, 23:58, edited 2 times in total.

photekq
Cherry Picker

02 May 2015, 22:53

I'm a high school student at the moment. I will be studying mechanical engineering next year, so long as I get good enough exam results at the end of this year :)

Khers

02 May 2015, 23:03

I'm currently doing my PhD in physics, specifically in experimental physics at the interface between physics, biology and chemistry, trying to study cell membrane interactions. Most of my days are spent in very dark microscopy rooms, lit only by stray light from the sample illumination. Amazingly depressing during summer if I'm honest, hence, I try to hack out some scientific prose during the warmer months :D

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

02 May 2015, 23:47

I am just a lowly highschool freshman. I haven't decided if I want to be a graphics designer, programmer, or game developer yet. I really don't know any code(except a little java in my CompSci class) and don't know which to choose.

Touch_It

03 May 2015, 00:14

I'm a Point Of Sale Systems Analyst for a small company. Basically I help setup, test, and support payment systems. I have an a Associates degree in computer network design and support.

Dubsgalore

03 May 2015, 01:22

I'm a 19 year old waiting to start college in the Fall, decided to take the year off

Mal-2

03 May 2015, 03:28

I'm a musician and wanna-be novelist, retired from gigging because I can't predict what days I'll be fit to play and what days I'll be too twitchy. I am currently taking on both roles (writing and music) with a game development studio, but it's slow going. I have sufficient time for musical commissions, if anyone wants things done.

My music is here and here. The book writing can be found here. (The game writing is not yet for public consumption.)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

03 May 2015, 05:19

Mal-2 wrote: I'm a musician and wanna-be novelist, retired from gigging because I can't predict what days I'll be fit to play and what days I'll be too twitchy. I am currently taking on both roles (writing and music) with a game development studio, but it's slow going. I have sufficient time for musical commissions, if anyone wants things done.

My music is here and here. The book writing can be found here. (The game writing is not yet for public consumption.)
I like the white mice song :D

macmakkara

03 May 2015, 11:41

I work as aircraft/helicopter mechanic/assembler thats all i can say... Interesting to see that there is so many students :)

Madhias
BS TORPE

03 May 2015, 13:49

I work at a prepress company, mainly as a prepress operator and are responsible for lots of different things too, like the IT and all technical things in our plate production. That could be maintaining the firewall or FTP or mail or whatever server, change faulty network switches, help with all sorts of problems like printers, monitors, and mice, or install different workflow software we are using.

acolombo

03 May 2015, 14:01

I'm a graphic designer and studying at the university to become also a developer (:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

03 May 2015, 14:39

I'm a software engineer working at a well known computer graphics company. Nearly all of my programming is low level, in C and on Linux. I have a Master of Engineering degree from a well known technical university. I am married with young child(ren).

davkol

03 May 2015, 23:56

Computer science, interested in accessibility and linguistics to certain extent. I'm also fairly active in the free software community.

andrewjoy

04 May 2015, 01:36

I work in IT support for a cinema and arts centre, its a one man ship so i pretty much have to do everything from 1st line support to dealing with supplers, networking, fix web apps, servers you name it. Also did computer science but i have forgotten most of it :P.

SL89

04 May 2015, 01:56

Shanghai'd into IT as well as part IT team for a company that owns a bunch of car dealerships. I was a warranty admin before that and went to school for media (never graduated) and worked for ~6 years in public access broadcasting.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 May 2015, 08:42

wow there are some cool occupations here!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

04 May 2015, 09:02

I graduated Theoretical Physics ages ago with a diploma in semiconductor LASER's and fiber-optic communication, for the last 12 or more years I worked as a UNIX/Linux system engineer mostly for Telco companies. Crazy about Solaris and SUN hardware. Married and I have a daughter :)

aaron

04 May 2015, 09:11

I am a Software Engineer (B.Sc.) at the leading gameserver hosting company in Germany. Most of the time I work on the backend (Ruby, Bash, all Linux), fix broken stuff and lead the DevOps team. At home, I am a father and a hobby woodworker :)

Oh and for reference (at work and at home):
Window Manager: i3wm
Editor: emacs
Shell: zsh
Browser: firefox

Madhias
BS TORPE

04 May 2015, 09:46

sth wrote: wow there are some cool occupations here!
So far the majority in IT business.

Ascaii
The Beard

04 May 2015, 10:08

I am currently finishing up my masters degree in Engineering, specifically for events technology and theatre machinery.

Stabilized

04 May 2015, 10:32

Surprised there hasn't been one of these threads before. I predict a 'what do you look like' thread in the not so distant future.
photekq wrote: I'm a high school student at the moment. I will be studying mechanical engineering next year, so long as I get good enough exam results at the end of this year :)
For some reason I thought you would have been much older; 17 and in high school with that much of a Cherry collection?! :o
Good luck with your exams btw ;)

I am a music student going in to my last year of uni, not really that much to say; if anyone's interested here is my Soundcloud page.

Khers

04 May 2015, 11:04

Madhias wrote:
sth wrote: wow there are some cool occupations here!
So far the majority in IT business.
Not that much of a surprise, I would have guessed most were working in something related to IT ;)

It's rather interesting to see what people are actually doing for a living though and what kind of people that are into keyboards...

Nuum

04 May 2015, 11:21

I'm studying Vehicle Engineering and am currently part of a Formula Student team.
We have quite a few students here, somehow that's odd with such a fairly expensive hobby, but I somehow expected it. That's why we are always after the super good deals! ;)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 May 2015, 11:25

students gotta type too!

i work in IT. my hats are varied but tasteful.

derzemel

04 May 2015, 11:43

oh, wow, didn't check the forum for a few days and I see that this topic took off nicely :)

Lots of different backgrounds and many students :D
Stabilized wrote: I predict a 'what do you look like' thread in the not so distant future.
I do not know if it would work. Most of the people here would want to keep a bit of privacy.
But I would be perfectly ok with it, as I also have a FB account, so not much privacy left for me anyway :lol:

acolombo

04 May 2015, 12:20

Nuum wrote:I'm studying Vehicle Engineering and am currently part of a Formula Student team.
We have quite a few students here, somehow that's odd with such a fairly expensive hobby, but I somehow expected it. That's why we are always after the super good deals! ;)
That's awesome! I've read this book about Formula SAE https://play.google.com/store/books/det ... vUmKIBpdsC

I wish my university had the Formula SAE team

HzFaq

04 May 2015, 12:20

I work in a dead-end data admin job...I was made redundant about 3 months after buying my first house a few years ago, was unemployed for a while and it was the first thing that came up, now I'm not really in a position where I can leave.

I also have a diploma in music performance and practice which is about as useful and worthless as it sounds :D.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 May 2015, 15:11

HzFaq wrote: I also have a diploma in music performance and practice which is about as useful and worthless as it sounds :D.
sounds good :geek:

Stabilized

04 May 2015, 15:31

HzFaq wrote: I also have a diploma in music performance and practice which is about as useful and worthless as it sounds :D.
I know that feeling, only a year away from mine (composition major) and job prospects are pretty bad!

photekq
Cherry Picker

04 May 2015, 15:33

Stabilized wrote: For some reason I thought you would have been much older; 17 and in high school with that much of a Cherry collection?!
That's what happens when you put 2 years worth of pocket money into keyboards, get money instead of presents for birthday & Christmas, and then put that into keyboards as well :lol:

Return to “Off-topic”