Danish NCR G81-3077

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

30 Aug 2012, 23:10

After much search, I tried my luck on a very cheap keyboard, hoping it had Cherry MX keycaps. The pic on the ad was pretty bad and only said NCR keyboard, but I got it for less than the shipping :D

Unfortunately it came with a broken stem... that had got stuck in the escape cap :x
Took me about an hour to dig it out.

Before I stripped it down, I just had a run on the Cherry MY switches and they are really awful, and somehow it felt like the keycaps was skating around on the switches.

Dressed up my Keycool and started to look after some modifiers and a spacebar, although I don't really mind them being black.

Oh and, Cherry double shots for breakfast. Om nom nom!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Aug 2012, 08:52

Oh, so it was you who got it :mrgreen:
Congratulations!

Half-Saint

31 Aug 2012, 09:13

Mind selling me the case? ;)

7bit

31 Aug 2012, 09:15

Me too!

Does the source have more?
:-)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Aug 2012, 09:22

7bit wrote:Does the source have more?
If there had been more, they would all be mine by now :lol:

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

31 Aug 2012, 11:41

kbdfr wrote:Oh, so it was you who got it :mrgreen:
Congratulations!
Thanks, have you had any luck finding one elsewhere?
Half-Saint wrote:Mind selling me the case? ;)
Might do, but I am low on keycaps, so might trade it for a few ;)
7bit wrote:Me too!

Does the source have more?
:-)
As kbdfr said, it was the only one. I have literally been looking for months for a Cherry keyboard with danish layout. Finding old Mechs in Denmark is really a pain since most have already been thrown in the dump, so finding this was like 1 in a million.

Half-Saint

31 Aug 2012, 11:54

Broadmonkey wrote:As kbdfr said, it was the only one. I have literally been looking for months for a Cherry keyboard with danish layout. Finding old Mechs in Denmark is really a pain since most have already been thrown in the dump, so finding this was like 1 in a million.
Same here with Model M's. All the ministries used to have IBM PS/2's, gas stations, banks etc. All gone!

IvanIvanovich

01 Sep 2012, 20:36

That's a nice board. I wish to locate one of those nice ncr one day for good price.
To remove the broken stem, I use very thin screw with the loop on the top, like for hanging things. Thread it into the stem and you have the loop to get a good grip on and pull it out. It has worked for me every time and only takes a few seconds to remove the problem.

rodtang

01 Sep 2012, 21:31

Great looking caps, I hope to have a set of those one day (It won't happen).

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Sep 2012, 08:35

rodtang wrote:Great looking caps, I hope to have a set of those one day (It won't happen).
That's what Broadmonkey thought before getting those in the end. Good luck to you too!

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

02 Sep 2012, 17:08

Thanks lysol, that sounds way easier than how I did it.
I used the end of a pointy scissor, which turned out to be a bad idea, at some point I even managed to push the stem even further down the cap, making it even harder to get out. So basically I had to dig small pieces out until it would sit properly on the keyboard.

IvanIvanovich

02 Sep 2012, 17:38

The method works very well for remove corks from the wine bottle for a very long time. I saw it as the same problem and solved it the same way. :)

mintberryminuscrunch

02 Sep 2012, 19:44

The easiest way to remove a broken stem is to heat a nail/wire/..
Melt it into the stem, let it cool down and pull..

Findecanor

02 Sep 2012, 21:45

I'm jealous. I very much want an 'Å' key, the others are more easily acquired or not very important.

BiNiaRiS

03 Sep 2012, 23:42

if you are interested in selling the case, I might be interested.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

04 Sep 2012, 21:05

I am considering putting it up for trade/sale.

Half-Saint

04 Sep 2012, 22:40

@BiNiaRiS: I was here first! ;)

Elrick

05 Sep 2012, 02:04

The case is definitely ........sexy.... to say the least.

phetto
Elite

06 Sep 2012, 19:19

Very nice dear neighbor :shock:

Hook me up if you want to get rid of them 8-)

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

06 Sep 2012, 20:11

nahh.. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them. They are just too hard to get a hold of.
As much as i love the keys for their danish layout, I love them even more because of the cherry profile, I just can't believe how much better it feels compared to OEM profile.

If we where enough, we might get imsto to make a replica (cherry profile, dye sub, pbt) although I hear there's a MOQ of 400. A nordic group buy would be fun, since there's not many Nordic sets out there ;) (but I guess customs would sky rocket the price)

phetto
Elite

07 Sep 2012, 19:14

Imsto thick PBT dyesub with nordic layout would be as good as danish pölse! :D

Josh

26 Dec 2012, 22:19

good one, I like it

Half-Saint

29 Dec 2012, 21:12

Have you sold the case?

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

01 Jan 2013, 12:00

I have actually just bought a G80-3000 from Ascaii, so I can change the pcb and thus reuse the case.

Return to “Gallery”