My SSK is here!

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2015, 11:31

Oh I do know. You're paying! No way are they letting that one slip. Technically, Parcelforce (or the Post Office or Royal Mail or Consignia or Sellafield, whatever their name is today…) paid customs for you, and soon they will take the parcel to your local sorting centre and then send you the nastygram. The processing fee is so high because of all the bother you just put them through without asking or even knowing!

andrewjoy

23 Jan 2015, 11:40

I got a package form UPS once, they just delivered it and then invoiced me for it. Why can they not do that ?

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2015, 11:45

UPS does some fancy customs broker process. That makes them a good choice for international shipments generally. My favourite thing about them: they DO NOT contract out to Parcelforce, unlike DHL, who then smash up all your stuff right on the last leg of the journey!

What courier did Cindy send this with?

andrewjoy

23 Jan 2015, 12:09

USPS

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2015, 12:14

My condolences.

andrewjoy

23 Jan 2015, 12:33

the SSK will be inside its own box and the posting box , and the wise 50 as long as the switch live i don't care :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Jan 2015, 13:23

Muirium wrote: UPS does some fancy customs broker process. That makes them a good choice for international shipments generally. My favourite thing about them: they DO NOT contract out to Parcelforce, unlike DHL, who then smash up all your stuff right on the last leg of the journey!

What courier did Cindy send this with?
Am I the only person that has had a great experience with Parcelforce? I always get parcels sent by EMS/DHL 1 day after they reach the UK.

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2015, 13:26

Perhaps my stuff is already on the floor, cushioning your stuff's fall? They lob things about so hard they've smashed glass *inside styrofoam* and dented metal inside generous volumes of bubblewrap. Fucking tossers.

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Jan 2015, 13:29

Muirium wrote: Perhaps my stuff is already on the floor, cushioning your stuff's fall? They lob things about so hard they've smashed glass *inside styrofoam* and dented metal inside generous volumes of bubblewrap. Fucking tossers.
:o

I've never even got a dented box from them. They have safely delivered about 15-20 keyboards to me!

chzel

23 Jan 2015, 13:34

Maybe they hate Muirium in specific? Old grudge?

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2015, 13:54

As they're part of Royal Mail, they're all locals. Probably Edinburgh's Parcelforce is legend for its incompetence. I'm not alone around here for hating them whenever they show up. (I have avoided their shipping for more than a decade, but other carriers often transfer to them. Nooooooo!!!)

You heard the one about my £500 crate of [url=Ihttp://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/identifying-an-ibm-keyboard-t8981-60.html?hilit=21%20crt#p190806]smashed glass[/url]. They're no better today. As Halvar's DHL boxed and shipped (until it reached Britain) beamspring illustrates.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Jan 2015, 14:49

chzel wrote: Maybe they hate Muirium in specific? Old grudge?
:o :lol:

Let's hope not.

Halvar

23 Jan 2015, 15:23

DHL Germany is not much better. Our SSKs landed in Frankfurt on Tuesday, and today the tracking says that it arrived at the Zoll office at Frankfurt airport. Three days to get from the plane to the customs office on the same airport ...

chzel

23 Jan 2015, 15:29

Halvar wrote: DHL Germany is not much better. Our SSKs landed in Frankfurt on Tuesday, and today the tracking says that it arrived at the Zoll office at Frankfurt airport. Three days to get from the plane to the customs office on the same airport ...
Our Post shames all of you.
When I was waiting for the SSK I was monitoring the tracking. Customs totally ignored the package (as they usually do, thank God), and it arrived at the local office on the 14th (We). I picked it up that Friday (16th), and I got the notification slip YESTERDAY. Almost a full week AFTER I RECEIVED THE PACKAGE.
Beat that!

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2015, 16:03

Not paying customs? You lucky sonnuvabitch! I have to put effort into getting that quality of service. The heavily delayed, beat up junk that reaches me is meticulously extorted taxed! Like they'd get the profitable part wrong…

chzel

23 Jan 2015, 17:21

Yes, when we fail we fail in all fronts! Slow and for no profit!

snoopy

23 Jan 2015, 17:43

Got mine today :-)

chzel

23 Jan 2015, 17:48

Looking nice! Bring on the pics! Are you opening both?

snoopy

23 Jan 2015, 17:55

I will not open them :o

andrewjoy

23 Jan 2015, 17:56

You should use one of them :) mine is going to be my work keyboard.

snoopy

23 Jan 2015, 17:59

andrewjoy wrote: You should use one of them :) mine is going to be my work keyboard.
I think I have 6 SSKs. This should be number 7 and 8. Currently no need to open them. Maybe in 10 or 20 years...

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

23 Jan 2015, 18:22

chzel wrote: Yes, when we fail we fail in all fronts! Slow and for no profit!
Romania is like Greece, without the nice sea, the good food, warm weather ....

On topic now, soon I will have a bunch of these beauties on my door step. I have to take a selfie with that loot :P

Medowy

23 Jan 2015, 18:50

DanielT wrote:
chzel wrote: Yes, when we fail we fail in all fronts! Slow and for no profit!
Romania is like Greece, without the nice sea, the good food, warm weather ....

On topic now, soon I will have a bunch of these beauties on my door step. I have to take a selfie with that loot :P
Make it EPIC 8-)

chzel

23 Jan 2015, 19:45

snoopy wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: You should use one of them :) mine is going to be my work keyboard.
I think I have 6 SSKs. This should be number 7 and 8. Currently no need to open them. Maybe in 10 or 20 years...
That's not fair...hoarding like that...other kids have to play too!

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2015, 19:49

I have a humble 3. First because I HAD TO. Second because $25. Third because NIB!

andrewjoy

23 Jan 2015, 19:50

IF you have that many then i guess you could save them :). I would love a second F122 as a backup if it was to fail. That may one day happen, i need a second beamspring too but i don't think that is ever going to happen ( would loave the one with the number pad my one just has PF keys.

For me i have an SSK for 3 reasons.

To try a none crappy model m ( mine is lexmark and it sucks)
To have a more functional keyboard for work that will work well on a mac and still be small.
A board that if i dont like it will hold its value.

If i don't like it i can also use the money from it to try a HHK Pro 2 that too will hold its value , not bad for a rubber dome ( can you get a beige HHK with 45 gram ? . :evilgeek:

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2015, 19:56

I'll inspect the NIB SSK, when it arrives of course, and if it's good enough I'll slide it right back in that big blue box and keep it for the years to come.

That's because my first SSK is already a solid performer and one of my favourites. It's a Lexmark, and yet is pretty good actually. My nicest Model M in feel, even up against several genuine IBMs, as well as form factor.

The second ($25) SSK may wind up staying at my brother's. It needs a little work, but should make an excellent travel board so I don't have to slum too badly, typing wise, when I visit. After that, well, I'll see if I can tempt him into mechs after all.

andrewjoy

23 Jan 2015, 20:02

I call anything that is not a beamspring slumming it now. With my new desk i finally got arround to installing it in its rightfull place and its fucking sweet. I do miss my 122 F with its awesome ansi mod and XT caps but nothing compares to the shear quality of the mighty beamspring

The beamspring is also helping me to improve my touch typing as i have to remember where stuff is as its not printed the same as the layout, i still struggle a bit with punctuation but i am getting there
Last edited by andrewjoy on 23 Jan 2015, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

chzel

23 Jan 2015, 20:02

Muirium wrote: I'll inspect the NIB SSK, when it arrives of course, and if it's good enough I'll slide it right back in that big blue box and keep it for the years to come.
If it not good enough, you have my address, I'll cover shipping! :evilgeek:

snoopy

23 Jan 2015, 20:13

andrewjoy wrote: I call anything that is not a beamspring slumming it now. With my new desk i finally got arround to installing it in its rightfull place and its fucking sweet. I do miss my 122 F with its awesome ansi mod and XT caps but nothing compares to the shear quality of the mighty beamspring

The beamspring is also helping me to improve my touch typing as i have to remember where stuff is as its not printed the same as the layout, i still struggle a bit with punctuation but i am getting there
pics please! :mrgreen:

Return to “Gallery”