(old)Picture archive of different ergonomic keyboards

Okeg

19 Apr 2013, 21:45

http://web.mit.edu/atic/lib/gifs/
Surfing around the web I found this site containing old ergonomic keyboards. seems like the site is from 1993.
Enjoy!

Daniel

19 Apr 2013, 23:47

http://web.mit.edu/atic/lib/gifs/marquardt.gif
Never saw a picture oft the Marquardt Numberpad before.
Thanks for sharing.

hoggy

20 Apr 2013, 07:35

Nice find. It's the first time I've seen a picture of the Tony keyboard.

Now I want a MIKey!

Muirium
µ

20 Apr 2013, 14:59

The “Bat” keyboard is, naturally, blank capped and bad assed.
Who needs finger movement when you can remember chords? Just damn better be all of them.

guilleguillaume

21 Apr 2013, 00:03

Better pictures of the last one:

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Apr 2013, 05:38

Did that user just uncloak over that BAT keyboard?

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2013, 01:38

That's how you approach the keyboard. Like everything about the Bat Keyboard, it takes a bit of getting used to.

All is well so long as you never let it meet The Poker.

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2013, 01:53

The Bat Keyboard lives! On this page at least.
InfoGrip, Inc. Develops and markets products using "Assistive Technology". We developed updated hardware and firmware for an updated version of the InfoGrip BAT. The orginal design consisted of microprocessor, EPROM, battery backed RAM, on two separate circuit boards (right and left handed). The original version took a man-year to program. Our modern version consists of a one chip solution which implements a USB interface, fits on "flipable" circuit board for right and left handed versions. This product required two man-months for all hardware and software development. Key technologies used are: PIC microprocessor CCS C compiler USB implementation compatible with standard USB HID device class.
Just stumbled into it while looking up info on single handed keyboards.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Jun 2013, 02:25

How does the Bat Keyboard work? Like morse code?

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2013, 02:38

prdlm2009 wrote:How does the Bat Keyboard work? Like morse code?
No. But you're on the right track: both rely on memorising more than you have to on a standard keyboard.

The Bat is a chording keyboard. That means you press several keys at once to make a letter. I haven't seen its exact rules, but the general idea is you learn the combinations required to type the alphabet.

Like Morse, it's probably easier to type A E I O and U than it is Z X and Q. And just like Morse, I doubt I'd like it. No doubt it's easier on your fingers, though. They don't have to dance around as much. Especially if it slows you down!

Kurk

04 Jun 2013, 08:22

Muirium wrote:The Bat Keyboard lives! On this page at least.
Of course it's alive! The current USB model can be ordered directly at Infogrip: http://www.infogrip.com/bat-keyboard.html
I'm seriously considering one as an additional keyboard. It could be very handy for some CAD software: right hand on the mouse, left hand on a one-handed keyboard.

hoggy

04 Jun 2013, 12:06

I suspect many of the one hand maltrons on ebay were purchased for that very reason...

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2013, 12:13

Single hand keyboards certainly have their uses. I'm trying to integrate a basic mirror-image layer into my custom keyboard design so I can try that out.

Be sure to show off the Bat Keyboard if you get one, Kurrk. It still looks as mean as ever, and you'll have an impressive new typing style when you learn the chords.

Image Image
Reminds me more of Morse code now than ever!

dondy

04 Jun 2013, 16:29

looks more like some kind of stenography (see f.e. the plover project)

Return to “Gallery”