komar 60% board complete

dirge

13 Jan 2013, 15:20

Used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180724932018 leather spray to colour the case. Dries in 15mins, I'm quite happy with the stuff. Can't say how durable etc but its made for spraying on leather shoes to change their colour, so must be a little durable.

The windows keys were made by taking two pcb mount switches and removing the tops, the gold contacts and using some flush cutters to remove the plastic from around the top. Then some squares of acrylic also sprayed.

Cherry sticker to finish off and it doesn't look too bad. It's got blue switches with o-rings and switch stickers.

HzFaq

13 Jan 2013, 15:22

Wow, nice job dude.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

13 Jan 2013, 15:23

wow that is beautiful!

Parabellum

13 Jan 2013, 16:12

color me impressed bro

GMC

13 Jan 2013, 17:23

Very tidy. You got a Fn key hidden somewhere?

huttala

13 Jan 2013, 17:30

So this is my old poker case? Awesome job dude!

dirge

13 Jan 2013, 17:39

It is huttala thanks again :)

No function key yet, I was just going to map the right control as that.

damorgue

13 Jan 2013, 19:21

That is some impressive winkeyless modding. It looks awesome dirge

guilleguillaume

13 Jan 2013, 20:02

You did an incredible work with the case.

dirge

13 Jan 2013, 20:23

Thanks very much guys :) glad this turned out better than my ergodox case attempt. I think that may get rescued with the same paint and more glue :)

phetto
Elite

13 Jan 2013, 20:36

GG you win!

huttala

13 Jan 2013, 21:44

damorgue wrote:That is some impressive winkeyless modding. It looks awesome dirge
What he said, can't even see that it's my old case. Impressive work!

tlt

14 Jan 2013, 07:27

Looks great! I hope to build something similar looking with the Hyper some day.

GH1391401

15 Jan 2013, 03:49

love how the backspace and return key look together :)

Kurk

17 Jan 2013, 08:09

Great stuff, dirge!
About the paint job: did you do any pre-treatment of the case like extensive cleaning, sanding or applying a primer?

dirge

17 Jan 2013, 09:30

Nothing but soap.and water and drying. Just to.remove grease.

It sets like a plastic coating. So careful not to apply too much in one go. Get a can and try on scrap plastic. Seems to work well.

komar007

17 Jan 2013, 21:13

Great job!
Is everything working all right now?

dirge

17 Jan 2013, 21:30

It still disconnects randomly but not as much :) I just need to keep going over the connections till I find it. I think ill order another board just in case :) when it starts up.
May be worth doing an Europe order aswell as a USA one if anyone was upto the task.. save on postage? Upto geekhack mind as it's their project I guess.

komar007

17 Jan 2013, 22:53

dirge wrote:It still disconnects randomly but not as much :) I just need to keep going over the connections till I find it. I think ill order another board just in case :) when it starts up.
May be worth doing an Europe order aswell as a USA one if anyone was upto the task.. save on postage? Upto geekhack mind as it's their project I guess.
Sure. One order, 2 distributors. I'm taking care of Europe.

dirge

17 Jan 2013, 23:01

Perfect :) I totally forgot aabout that.
Good news mind, finished another 20 hour emergency session at work to find a vortex tkl case and it actually fits my phantom! :)

Acanthophis

17 Jan 2013, 23:02

Pics or it didn't happen!

BimboBB

17 Jan 2013, 23:21

It fits the phantom PCB, but not the phantom plate, right?

dirge

18 Jan 2013, 09:58

It just seems to fit mine, I need to spend more time understanding why and if it would fit all phantoms, I've got three but don't think the 7bit special will squeeze in there lol.

So I was expecting that the lack of rear standoffs would mean that the rear of the board would need lifting and that some vertical movement would be present when you turned the case upside down. That isn't the case after fitting mine. Whether its the USB cable or not, I'm not sure. I'll check tonight and take photos.

There is some lateral movement, again due to no screws into standoffs. However it's quite difficult to get the phantom to move. Must be due to the friction and how tight the fit is. I don't see it as much of a problem and during normal use I wouldn't expect it to happen.

The case has a few scratches and tiny dings here and there, this may irritate some people.

The case over its total length is maybe out by a mm or so, the escape is aligned to the right hand side of its opening. The arrow cluster is aligned to the left hand side of its cutout. Again not by much at all, you'd need to really look to see it.

Now I just need to get a metal shop to cut me two small squares to act as winkey blockers like the modded poker case above and I'll be very happy! (oh and anodize the damn case... I was going to go for a light gray)
^ that's always what I've been aiming for with the phantom :)

cactux

18 Jan 2013, 10:02

[Account and posts deleted on request]

BimboBB

18 Jan 2013, 10:39

Thats some nice news dirge! Currently I have a vortex case waiting at the customs to be picked up. Just travelled 7 weeks. :roll: Intended to use it for my standard Filco, but will see if i can get it fit to the phantom stuff as well. And yes, will also let it re-anodize. (understand its already clear anodized) Was thinking about some shade of bronze:

But still keen for a real phantom case in winkeyless-version. :)

dirge

18 Jan 2013, 11:18

Just been on the phone to anodizers and think the case will be in the 30-40£ area. Don't think they have the colour I want... more large scale industrial stuff so may need to look further afield.

That second from the right in your photo looks smart..

baldgye

18 Jan 2013, 12:57

very jelly of those caps

dirge

18 Jan 2013, 13:43

Taken me well over a year to even find 2 sets mate...

Those remaining dyesubs are tempting...

el2k

19 Jan 2013, 09:43

Great work on the GH60 mate, looking REAL smart.

Always good to know there is someone in the UK with some modding skillz if they were ever needed :D

dirge

19 Jan 2013, 10:05

You flatter me, the truth is pictures hide a multitude of sins... ;)

Hope komar will post a group buy thread on this site for the people that don't have geekhack accounts.

Return to “Gallery”