WASD custom keycaps

Izza
Lurker Prime

27 Apr 2012, 00:04

Ordered a custom spacebar from WASD Keyboards this week. I wanted a little Deskthority on my 'board, but since the Round 4 cap isn't available, I took this route:

Doesn't look too bad, though if you look at the top of the "DESK" there's a line where the laser didn't etch at all. Hopefully this isn't indicative of a problem with quality control. :cry:

tsangan

27 Apr 2012, 00:11

Looks like a gold sharpie on a silver space bar!

Looks pretty good though, I'm sure if you email WASD they will fix the issue of the part where it didn't etch properly they are very good with their customer service :)

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Apr 2012, 17:24

Nice logo. Although they shouldn't have sent it like that. Someone had to notice, and continued to ship it anyway.

ripster

27 Apr 2012, 21:02

Nice font. What is that?

off

27 Apr 2012, 21:09

@rip, I'd venture to guess he just nabbed the banner here; no font involved on his part.
@OP, unless it's that little comma-like blob above&between the D&E; I'm not seeing it. If it is, I'm barely seeing it due to the angle (and perhaps the colours on my monitor).

ey wait a sec, maybe it is a font that was used by him; the THORITY part is much thinner than the logo here; then again, maybe it's just melissa&co mucking about.

acfrazier
Mad Scientist

27 Apr 2012, 23:58

off wrote:maybe it's just melissa&co mucking about.
WASD Keyboards != Signature Plastics

ripster

28 Apr 2012, 04:58

off wrote:@rip, I'd venture to guess he just nabbed the banner here; no font involved on his part.
@OP, unless it's that little comma-like blob above&between the D&E; I'm not seeing it. If it is, I'm barely seeing it due to the angle (and perhaps the colours on my monitor).

ey wait a sec, maybe it is a font that was used by him; the THORITY part is much thinner than the logo here; then again, maybe it's just melissa&co mucking about.
I was asking Webwit.

off

28 Apr 2012, 13:57

ripster wrote:I was asking Webwit.
I know, sneaky..

Izza
Lurker Prime

28 Apr 2012, 14:26

I nabbed the header image from the forums. Still don't know the font used.

I contacted WASD about the lasering problem. They are sending two more caps. One with a slightly smaller logo, and one as ordered.

So far very impressed with their customer service, and quick response. I definitely don't get the impression that this is something that happens regularly. Will post pics in a couple of days when I receive them.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Apr 2012, 14:43

Izza wrote:I nabbed the header image from the forums. [...].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_design

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Apr 2012, 14:45

I forgot which font, but Sixty knows, he made the logo.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Apr 2012, 15:12

I can't help it, I always wonder why people do not at least ask before using pictures/logos/designs designed by somebody else.

And while using it just for yourself (own keycap) is not problematic,
publishing it (even if it's on your own keycap) clearly violates intellectual property rights of the designer/owner of the logo.

Perhaps he doesn't mind,
but wouldn't it be fair to ask first?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spoilsport

Izza
Lurker Prime

28 Apr 2012, 20:03

kbdfr wrote:I can't help it, I always wonder why people do not at least ask before using pictures/logos/designs designed by somebody else.

And while using it just for yourself (own keycap) is not problematic,
publishing it (even if it's on your own keycap) clearly violates intellectual property rights of the designer/owner of the logo.

Perhaps he doesn't mind,
but wouldn't it be fair to ask first?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spoilsport
I always wonder why people don't at least ask before implying things. Keyboard Science merged with Deskthority some time ago... I'd say I have every right to put the forum logo on my spacebar.

In any case, webwit is more than capable of fighting his own battles. Thank you for playing.

Edit: Would just like to add that I love our community, and enjoy the camaraderie with it's members. The purpose for putting Deskthority on my keyboard is to hopefully show my pride in being an admin, and member, here.

Not to mention that is a damn fine looking logo. :P

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Apr 2012, 21:31

Izza wrote:[...] I'd say I have every right to put the forum logo on my spacebar.
No doubt. If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I did not question that. My point is about publishing.
In any case, webwit is more than capable of fighting his own battles.
No doubt. On a previous occasion, we even had dissenting views about a similar question:
http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... ml?#p28689
Still it doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to express my opinion on a matter which I hold to be important.
Edit: Would just like to add that I love our community, and enjoy the camaraderie with it's members. [...]
No doubt. God webwit knows I feel the same. :lol:
Not to mention that is a damn fine looking logo. :P
No doubt :mrgreen:

off

28 Apr 2012, 21:41

Chimin' in; for me doing it but not publishing it would be worse..
Like hiding your 'trespassing'. He's standing up for what he did, and showing what he has.
Plus not being 'fair game' to take a picture of something you have / have made...........
Publishing in a commercial sense is a different ballgame altogether imho, selling deskthority shirts for instance; or anywhere claiming you made something which you didn't, or plain without proper credit to show who did.
Here, it is deskthority; so showing pics of something with the logo is imho not necesary to attribute seeing how we are all at that site and could ask or check who designed it if so inclined; as long as the picshower isn't claiming conception or anything.

my 2 cents; no offense to anyone meant, meant to provoke discussion and share thoughts. c'est tout.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Apr 2012, 22:20

Perhaps I did not make clear that I do like the space bar :lol:

I just think design, or creative work in general, is something which quite often is seen as belonging to the public domain just because it is so easy to snatch.
But the author is entitled to expect others to respect his work in the way he chooses: paying for it, having to acknowledge it, just asking for permission or freely using it. In any case, it's the author who defines the terms and if he doesn't, it means that his work is protected by law and not that it isn't.

Here too no offense to anyone.
That was quite off topic anyway, I know :lol:

ripster

28 Apr 2012, 22:34

I hope Sixty paid the font licensing fee. I tried looking up "spaghetti font" but got nowhere.

off

28 Apr 2012, 22:41

let's continue :D
The part that would violate such ^ would be the sending off to print a copy, not the making a photo of said copy and showing that.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Apr 2012, 22:58

Izza doesn't need to ask a deskthority admin anyway because he is a deskthority administrator.

7bit

28 Apr 2012, 23:02

ripster wrote:I hope Sixty paid the font licensing fee. I tried looking up "spaghetti font" but got nowhere.
Aren't we using only free fonts?
:?

ps: What makes you think the font is italian?

Izza
Lurker Prime

29 Apr 2012, 00:22

kbdfr wrote:Here too no offense to anyone.
Brohug? :P

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Apr 2012, 06:42

Izza wrote:
kbdfr wrote:Here too no offense to anyone.
Brohug? :P

Trent

30 Apr 2012, 19:54

Webwit I think this deserves a golden duck!

Izza
Lurker Prime

04 May 2012, 21:52

So, got my replacements in (three of them, actually), and there are no problems what-so-ever. Looks great.

WASD was fast in responding to the issue, and I whole-heartedly recommend them.

Return to “Gallery”